Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [90]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [40]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [10]
Given Kudos: 504
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Nine family members: 5 grandchildren (3 brothers and 2 siste [#permalink]
Kudos
What am I doing wrong? I got 480...

So, around the table, we have: {brother, sister, sister, brother}, and then 5 more family members in random order (because the 3rd brother doesn't have to sit next to his siblings, right?)

So, we have 4 possible arrangements of the first 4 siblings: 2x2x1x1=4

And the five other family members (brother + 4 grandparents) can sit in 5!=120 possible arrangements.

Overall, all possible arrangements are therefore (2)(2)(5!)=(4)(120)=480

So, why not B?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Bunuel why did you do (6-1)!? We have 6 units, so couldn't they be arranged in 6! ways?
Manager
Manager
Status:I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [7]
Given Kudos: 71
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 3.92
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
p2bhokie wrote:
Bunuel why did you do (6-1)!? We have 6 units, so couldn't they be arranged in 6! ways?

This is because it is a case of "CIRCULAR PERMUTATION"

Suppose if 5 Boys, A, B,C, D and E are standing in a straight line and we have an arrangement ABCDE. Now, if we move each boy one place to the right then arrangement will become EABCD. ABCDE and EABCD are not the same. So we calculate N! or 5! arrangements when dealing with straight line arrangements.

In the above case, we are dealing with Circular arrangements. Now suppose the same 5 Boys are seated around a circular table, then we have an arrangement ABCDE. If we move each boy one place to the right the arrangement will still be ABCDE. So we are counting the same arrangement more than once and this would be wrong. So we subtract the duplicates from N! and hence we get (N-1) ! arrangements.

Hope this helps !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Thanks Bunuel. The explanation definitely helps. Thanks again.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
2 sisters => 2!.
sisters between any 2 brothers => 1) arrangement of 2 brothers out of 3 where order matters => 3P2 = 3!.
leaving aside 2 S and 2B(chosen one's), we have 1B and 4GPs and one combined unit of BssB => 6 units to be arranged.
Circular => 5!.
ans = pdt of all = 2! * 3! * 5! = 120 * 12 = 1440.
Ans C.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4224 [8]
Given Kudos: 302
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I solved it by drawing a little illustration:

Attachment:
Unbenannt.jpg
Unbenannt.jpg [ 25.31 KiB | Viewed 15964 times ]

There is one restriction, so that the two sister should be seated between two brothers. So first ignore the two sisters and calculate the circular permutation of n = 7 (9-2 sisters).

circular permutation of 7 = (7-1)! = 6! = 720

Now the two sisters can sit in 2! ways

Hence, total combinations: 2*720 = 1440
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
bind the 5 kids together P2,2 * P3,3
arrange 4 grandparents with the bind p5,5

p2,2*p3,3*p5,5 = 1440
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [1]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Kudos
I love you sooooooooooooooo much Bunuel

Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Nine family members: 5 grandchildren (3 brothers and 2 sisters) and their 4 grandparents are to be seated around a circular table. How many different seating arrangements are possible so that 2 sisters are seated between any two of the three brothers?

A. 120
B. 480
C. 1440
D. 2880
E. 8640

Consider two brothers and two sisters between them as one unit: {BSSB}.

So, now we have 6 units: {G}, {G}, {G}, {G}, {B}, and {BSSB}.

These 6 units can be arranged around a circular table in (6-1)!=5! ways.

Next, analyze {BSSB} unit:
We can choose 2 brothers out of 3 for the unit in \(C^2_3=3\) ways;
These brothers, within the unit, can be arranged in 2! ways: \(\{B_1, S, S, B_2\}\) or \(\{B_2, S, S, B_1\}\)
The sisters, within the unit, also can be arranged in 2! ways: \(\{B, S_1, S_2, B\}\) or \(\{B, S_2, S_1, B\}\)

Therefore, the final answer is 5!*3*2*2=1440.

Answer: C.

Kudos points given to correct solutions.

Try NEW Combinations DS question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
I got the correct answer of 1440, but I solved the question as if the people were all standing in a line (and not sitting in a circular arrangement.)

Why is the answer the same for both a line or circular arrangement? Shouldn't they be different, or is the question just trying to "trick" us by adding a complexity of having it be a circular arrangement?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Nine family members: 5 grandchildren (3 brothers and 2 sisters) and their 4 grandparents are to be seated around a circular table. How many different seating arrangements are possible so that 2 sisters are seated between any two of the three brothers?

A. 120
B. 480
C. 1440
D. 2880
E. 8640

These brothers, within the unit, can be arranged in 2! ways: \(\{B_1, S, S, B_2\}\) or \(\{B_2, S, S, B_1\}\)
The sisters, within the unit, also can be arranged in 2! ways: \(\{B, S_1, S_2, B\}\) or \(\{B, S_2, S_1, B\}\)

Bunuel what about the seating arrangement of the grandparents? P = (4-1)! = 3! = 6
Shouldn't we multiply that by 1440 too?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
CEdward wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

A. 120
B. 480
C. 1440
D. 2880
E. 8640

Bunuel what about the seating arrangement of the grandparents? P = (4-1)! = 3! = 6
Shouldn't we multiply that by 1440 too?

The arrangements of grandparents is included in 5! (check highlighted part in the solution above).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

New project from GMAT Club: Topic-wise questions with tips and hints!

A. 120
B. 480
C. 1440
D. 2880
E. 8640

Kudos for a correct solution.

Bunuel how about BSBSB or BSSBB or BBSSB
VP
VP
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. 120
B. 480
C. 1440
D. 2880
E. 8640

Kudos for a correct solution.

VeritasKarishma BrentGMATPrepNow IanStewart
as far as i know when it comes to circular arrangement i can start by fixing one person on one spot, so it is 1 way to do it that person is a grandparent

now about arrangement of brothers and sisters they can be arranged this way BBSSB

After fixing one grandparent on one spot, I`m left with 8 spots free, so for first brother 8 seats left, for second B, 7 seats left for first sister 6 seats for second S, 5 seats left and for third B 4 seats left. So i have 1*8*7*6*5*4 = 6720

but there can also be other arrangements such as BSBSB or BSSBB so three ways 3! 6720*3! wait I didnt finish yet :lol: but there are also 3 seats left for three grandparents so 6720*3! *3! :dazed

Whats wrong with my reasoning :)
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dave13 wrote:

I don't see where you've accounted for the restriction that the two sisters be between two brothers, and if you don't account for that, your answer will be much too big.

But the answer to the question, at a quick glance, I think should be 20,160, as written (or perhaps 9 times that, depending on whether we decide this is a circular permutation question). The solution above answers a different question than what is asked:

Bunuel wrote:

The phrase "so that 2 sisters are seated between any two of the three brothers", as written, means: if you pick any two brothers, you should find the two sisters somewhere between them. As the question is written, we should be counting an arrangement like this one as a valid arrangement:

BBGSGSGGB

for example, because if you pick any two brothers, then you'll find the two sisters between them somewhere (in some direction around the table). And if that's what the question means, in half of all possible arrangements you find the two sisters between any pair of brothers (because of the ten ways to arrange just the brothers and sisters, in half of them, SSBBB, BSSBB, BBSSB, BBBSS and SBBBS you satisfy the condition), which is how I got the answer above.

The question means to ask something very different from what it says; it means to ask how many arrangements are possible when the two sisters are seated *immediately* between *some* pair of brothers.

As written, the question is actually not even asking about circular permutations. The fact that things are in a circle does not, on its own, make a question into a circular permutation problem. It's only a circular permutation question if our concern is only about how things are arranged relative to each other, and if we're unconcerned about the specific seat each person is assigned.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

A. 120
B. 480
C. 1440
D. 2880
E. 8640

The total ways of circular arrangement is n-1*1!however we cannot do it directly

first let us arrange the 2 sisters and 2 brothers in between =2*3*2(since there are 3 brothers and 2 sisters to chose from)

let us then consider the 4 people as 1 one group and arrange them with grandparenta and 1 remaning brothers since

there are 4 grandparent 1 brother and 1 group of brother and sister we can arrange them in circular arrangement in 5! ways

Since the group distribution has to be also taken into accountwe get
=5!*3*2*2
=>120*12
=>1440
Therefore C
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
IanStewart wrote:
dave13 wrote:

I don't see where you've accounted for the restriction that the two sisters be between two brothers, and if you don't account for that, your answer will be much too big.

But the answer to the question, at a quick glance, I think should be 20,160, as written (or perhaps 9 times that, depending on whether we decide this is a circular permutation question). The solution above answers a different question than what is asked:

Bunuel wrote:

The phrase "so that 2 sisters are seated between any two of the three brothers", as written, means: if you pick any two brothers, you should find the two sisters somewhere between them. As the question is written, we should be counting an arrangement like this one as a valid arrangement:

BBGSGSGGB

for example, because if you pick any two brothers, then you'll find the two sisters between them somewhere (in some direction around the table). And if that's what the question means, in half of all possible arrangements you find the two sisters between any pair of brothers (because of the ten ways to arrange just the brothers and sisters, in half of them, SSBBB, BSSBB, BBSSB, BBBSS and SBBBS you satisfy the condition), which is how I got the answer above.

The question means to ask something very different from what it says; it means to ask how many arrangements are possible when the two sisters are seated *immediately* between *some* pair of brothers.

As written, the question is actually not even asking about circular permutations. The fact that things are in a circle does not, on its own, make a question into a circular permutation problem. It's only a circular permutation question if our concern is only about how things are arranged relative to each other, and if we're unconcerned about the specific seat each person is assigned.

Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
dave13 wrote:

Bunuel wrote:

BBGSGSGGB

hi IanStewart thank you, i got it now but looks like still doing something wrong

here it is

first person (Brother) fixed so 1!*2!*1*2! 2! seats for first sister, 1! seat available for second sister and 2!
now left with 1 brother and for grandparents so they can be seated in 5! ways. Also 4 grandparents and 1 brother can be arranged in 5!/4! = 5 ways
so 1!*2!*1*2! *5!*5 = 4*120*5 = 2400 :? :grin: help
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92902 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts