Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [74]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [25]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North American continen [#permalink]
Kudos
aditya8062 wrote:
@ original poster : i am really doubting this question !!
i do not find any reason to reject option E : At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.
can u please check the choices again

There is nothing that implies that the "zones" are cities. They are just areas.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North American continen [#permalink]
Quote:

so Denver and Minneapolis are areas !! not cities ?? after all some area will definitely comprise some city
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [1]
Given Kudos: 504
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Bookmarks
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

so Denver and Minneapolis are areas !! not cities ?? after all some area will definitely comprise some city

Just as 1 city can comprise multiple hardiness zones (particularly if the city is big enough).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A) Passage talks about average temperatures, not lowest, so can't be A.

B) Could be true, but it says close correlation not exact. We'll leave it as a possible choice for now since it's vague.

C) Nothing in the passage suggests this.

D) The fact that length growing season and average winter temperature both have SEPARATE zones which are not exactly the same indicates that these 2 are not determined by the same factors. Strongest contender.

E) Minneapolis is 4, but passage does not suggest any other CITY is less than 4. Could be town, village, inland water body. First sentence says it's a division of the continent, not a division of urban agglomerations.
Retired Moderator
Status:On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sit on a throne of blood.
Own Kudos [?]: 655 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
@ original poster : i am really doubting this question !!
i do not find any reason to reject option E : At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.
can u please check the choices again

I am in the same boat as you are in. I chose E too and was in for a shock. The source is Veritas Question Bank.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Quote:
I am in the same boat as you are in. I chose E too and was in for a shock. The source is Veritas Question Bank.

i will not be worried about this question as long as it is not official !! i do not think GMAC will ever get into the nitpicking of "area", "city" or "town"
also if someone is putting a logic that "cities" can be large enough to comprise more that one zone then the same argument can be put on the other side of story !! i mean why should we favor one side of the argument?

also if cities such as "Minneapolis" and "Denver" can have just one "zone" then we can definitely have other cities with just one "zone" ,after all there are cities smaller than Minneapolis !! (honestly i don't even want to get into this side of argument)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

i will not be worried about this question as long as it is not official !! i do not think GMAC will ever get into the nitpicking of "area", "city" or "town"
also if someone is putting a logic that "cities" can be large enough to comprise more that one zone then the same argument can be put on the other side of story !! i mean why should we favor one side of the argument?

also if cities such as "Minneapolis" and "Denver" can have just one "zone" then we can definitely have other cities with just one "zone" ,after all there are cities smaller than Minneapolis !! (honestly i don't even want to get into this side of argument)

Every word matters! Small differences in meaning can change the whole question!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
The U.S. Department of Agriculture divides the North American continent into “hardiness zones.”
These zones are based on the average winter temperature and are used to determine what types of plants will likely survive in a given area.
Zone 1 represents the coldest average winter temperature and zone 13 the warmest.
The zones are closely correlated with, but do not exactly match another set of eleven zones that indicate the length of the growing season.
Minneapolis is in hardiness zone 4 and Denver is in hardiness zone 6.

Which of the following statements is most supported by the information above?

A. During the coming winter, the lowest recorded temperature in Minneapolis will be lower than the lowest recorded temperature in Denver.............we can infer that avg winter temp is lower but not lowest. new info.

B. The growing season in Denver is much longer than the growing season in Minneapolis...............this is new info as we don't any info in argument regarding growing season.

C. A greater variety of plants can be grown in Denver, due to the warmer average winter low..............we can decide type of plant in area based on zone avg winter temp not greater or fewer variety of plants.

D. Factors other than average winter temperature affect the length of the growing season..............can be true keep it at bay.

E. At least one U.S. city has a colder average winter temperature than does Minneapolis.............this cannot be inferred as atleast one city has a colder avg temp than does Minneapolis as the zones are divided among whole North American continent.

I got confused between C and D and sellected c since I felt D is too generalized. :wink:
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Quote:
D. Factors other than average winter temperature affect the length of the growing season.
It is given that zones are correlated but DO NOT match exactly. It means other factors also come into play. Correct answer.

Woul you please explain a little bit about it? How other factors come to play?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mahmud6 wrote:
Quote:
D. Factors other than average winter temperature affect the length of the growing season.
It is given that zones are correlated but DO NOT match exactly. It means other factors also come into play. Correct answer.

Woul you please explain a little bit about it? How other factors come to play?

The argument gives you
"The zones are closely correlated with, but do not exactly match another set of eleven zones that indicate the length of the growing season. "

If the only factor that affected the length of the growing season was average winter temp, then the zones of length of growing season would have exactly matched the zones of temperatures. But the question tells us that they do not exactly match. So other factors such as "topography" could be playing a role in deciding the length of the growing season.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Veritas Prep Official Solution:

Correct Answer is D.

This question illustrates a crucial logical principle: in order to show that an answer choice is incorrect on a “must be true” question, you do not need to show that it is “certainly not true”. All you have to do is come up with one example (which is often quite difficult) in which the conclusion is not true. On inference questions, it is unlikely that you will pick a “must be false” answer when you are asked for something that “must be true”. However, it is entirely possible that you will pick something that is likely to be true but not guaranteed to be true.

In this question, most of the incorrect answers are likely but not guaranteed. It is quite likely that, as choice A states, Minneapolis will have a lower extreme temperature than will Denver. Similarly, it is likely true that Denver has a much longer growing season. But neither is necessarily true. Denver has a higher average temperature, but that could be a result of shorter, colder winters and a quicker jump back to spring. And regarding choice B, the zones "do not exactly match" the length of the growing season, and Denver or Minneapolis might be one of those exceptions. Nothing states that the hardiness zones are associated with variety so choice C can be eliminated because of this fact.

For the most difficult incorrect answer - choice E - it seems that there must be a colder city since Minneapolis is only a four on a one to thirteen scale. However this scale is not just for cities and it is for all of North America, not just the U.S. It could very well be that the coldest city is a 4 (Minneapolis!) and only other rural areas or place outside of the U.S. are given lower ratings. D, however, can be proven: if the zones are not identical, then there must be another factor that accounts for the difference between hardiness zone and length of the growing season.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
I am confused about the OA. I understand that zones need not be cities, and hence option E is incorrect. However, how can we say that factors other than average winter temperature affect "length of growing season". What if the zones for "length of growing season" are exactly based on hardiness zone but three zones were clubbed together because there really isn't much difference between those zones in terms of length of growing season?

Could you clarify this point?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts