Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Subject Verb Agreementx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [127]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30785 [89]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [41]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 861 [35]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Thank you all for your responses.

The OA is A. Most of you got the answer right. However, only Folaa3 and desiguy came close to getting the main concept right.

The CONCEPT
When the phrase following the subject is set of by commas, it indicates that the descriptive information conveyed by that phrase may be dropped from the sentence; it is not part of the subject

NOTE: The following words - with, including, accompanied by, along with, as well as, besides, in addition to, together with, do not create compound subjects

Together with, does not create a compound subject. Since Diabetes is singular, the singular verb ranks is most appropriate in the answer choice. A also correctly uses the present tense. "Only" is also correctly placed with precision next to the group of words it actually limits.

I have also listed a few examples below, so that you can understand the concept better.

Wrong: George Bush, as well as Dick Cheney, are politicians

Right: George Bush, as well as Dick Cheney, is a politician

Wrong: George Bernard Shaw, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and River Phoenix, were vegetarians

Right: George Bernard Shaw, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and River Phoenix, was a vegetarian

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
DARTH :twisted:
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
Darth_McDaddy wrote:
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only
(b) rank as the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(c) has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death, only surpassed
(d) are the nation's third leading causes of death, surpassed only
(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning is key to solving this question; the intended core meaning of this sentence is that along with its serious complications, diabetes is the nation's third leading cause of death, and it is surpassed only by heart disease and cancer.

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Meaning + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• Only the conjunction "and" can link nouns to form a plural noun phrase.

A: Correct. This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun "Diabetes" with the singular verb "ranks". Further, Option A uses the phrase "ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death", conveying the intended meaning - that diabetes combined with its serious complications practically is the third leading cause of death. Additionally, Option A is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "Diabetes" with the plural verb "rank"; please remember, only the conjunction "and" can link nouns to form a plural noun phrase.

C: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrase "has the rank of the nation's third leading cause of death", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

D: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "Diabetes" with the plural verb "are"; please remember, only the conjunction "and" can link nouns to form a plural noun phrase. Further, Option D alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "third leading causes of death"; the use of the word "causes" incorrectly implies that diabetes and its serious complications both hold the rank of third leading cause of death; the intended meaning is that diabetes combined with its serious complications is the third leading cause of death.

E: This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun "Diabetes" with the plural verb "have been ranked"; please remember, only the conjunction "and" can link nouns to form a plural noun phrase. Further, Option E alters the meaning of the sentence through the phrase "have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death"; the use of the passive voice and the word "causes" incorrectly imply that diabetes and its serious complications both have simply been ranked as the third leading cause of death; the intended meaning is that diabetes combined with its serious complications practically is the third leading cause of death.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of "And" vs Other Conjunctions on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
"Rank of" unidiomatic...C is OUT
E, D and B are OUT - Diabetes is not plural (check the sentence, "its serious complications" means the main subject "diabetes" is singular)

I pick A. Straightforward - use simple present tense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [2]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only by heart disease and cancer

I also come to A.

however, one question, pls help

in the pattern

X of Y, do-ed

if Y works, comma+do-ed modifies Y
if Y dose not work and Y modifies X, comma+do-ed can jump Y to modifies X

if Y dose not work and Y dose not modifies X, comma+do-ed can not jump

for example
diabettes ranks as the second most dangerous disease by IFO oganisation, supassed by X disease
is wrong.
(I never see this question on og). just for discussion.

pls, comment.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [3]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Every one answered correctly, but no one challenged the usage of ed modifier after comma; what ed modifier is modifying.
It is explained further on this thread.
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html

It says ed modifier modifies the entire noun phrase "nation's third leading cause of death"
Technically surpassed is modifying death but logically nothing can surpass death thus as per the rule it can modify entire preceding noun phrase.

Similarly there is another question from Gmat prep: which is quite confusing as right answer is bit difficult to understand, modifier is preferred over verb, but all actions appear at same level and no cause or effect relationship appear b/w them.
found-throughout-central-and-south-america-sloths-hang-from-83510.html
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only
The V agrees in number with S (diabetes), surpassed serves as a modifier, and modifies the nation’s third leading cause of death. The sentence is correct as it is.

This choice has a SV error. “only surpassed” is not the same as “surpassed only”, thus leading to meaning error.

Has the rank of is wordy – ranks is better. Same meaning error as in b

SV error. Are does not agree in number with diabetes.

(e) have been ranked as the nation's third leading causes of death, only surpassed
SV error. Same meaning error as (c) and (b). use of present perfect is not needed when presenting facts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Diabetes, together with its serious complications, ranks as the nation [#permalink]
Hi Folks,

Surpassed by..... is a participial modifier so it should modify a noun or a noun phrase.

Could you please tell me which is th noun or phrase being modified here.

I think its Diabetes.

Also,

How did you decide that " nation's third..." is a noun phrase.I often get confused while finding them.
I thought diabetes is getting modified

Regards
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kirtivardhan wrote:
How did you decide that " nation's third..." is a noun phrase.I often get confused while finding them.
I thought diabetes is getting modified

Let's analyze nation's third leading cause of death.

- cause is a noun.
- So, cause of death will also be a noun.
- third leading is just an adjective (an attribute/property/characteristic) of cause of death
- So, third leading cause of death is a noun (more specifically a noun phrase, because these group of words do not have a verb)
- Nation's is just making this entire noun phrase a possessive noun phrase.

Let's look at other example: India's third successive win in the tournament.

- win is a noun.
- So, win in the tournament will also be a noun.
- third successive is just an adjective (an attribute/property/characteristic) of win in the tournament
- So, third successive win in the tournament is a noun (more specifically a noun phrase, because these group of words do not have a verb)
- India's is just making this entire noun a possessive noun phrase.

Let me know if something is not clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
The OA says that "only" should be placed after "surpassed", not before, because it limits "by hear disease and cancer", not "surpassed".

..., only surpassed by heart disease and cancer. ---> Wrong
..., surpassed only by heart disease and cancer. ---> Right

Could you please explain this observation in further detail?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The idea is to place "only" as close as possible to what it's modifying. We're not saying that diabetes is "only surpassed" (as opposed to some other more extreme verb). We're saying that it is surpassed by two other causes, and only by those two causes. Take a look at these:

I only sing in the band. (The only thing I do in the band is sing. I may also sing in other contexts.)
I sing only in the band. (I don't sing outside of the band. I may also do other things in the band, such as play an instrument.)

The door can be unlocked only by someone pure of heart. (Only someone pure of heart can unlock the door.)
The door can only be unlocked by someone pure of heart. (Someone pure of heart can only unlock the door. Perhaps they can't open it or pass through.)

If these seem weird to you, it's because very few of us actually speak or write like this. I don't generally follow this rule in my own writing, as I find there are other ways to make my meaning clear, and I often find the "correct" version to seem awkward or stuffy. However, the GMAT didn't ask my opinion! ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
(a) ranks as the nation's third leading cause of death, surpassed only - Correct - Diabetes is singular/ hence ranks is correct More over Surpassed should precede only as only should be nearer to the item description.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos