Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [5]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [6]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [5]
Send PM
Re: Calling OWEN-Vanderbilt Applicants(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Certainly. First, the school has a unique feel. The class is very intelligent and inclusive. The admissions team and the students here will do what it takes to get a person with the right fit to come to this school. It is very inclusive as compared to the other schools I visited and was accepted to. The school is on the rise and is one of the most prestigious and selective schools as a university across the board. The undergrad is ranked 17th and I am sure that will go up this year as the class and placements were better. Needless to say the Vanderbilt is more prestigious than other schools in the same ranking tier as us for MBAs. NYU, Texas, UNC, Indiana, Georgetown, Norte Dame and Carnegie Mellon are all good schools but do not carry the prestige that Vanderbilt does. This is on the rise too! The city is amazing as compared to other schools in the same tier. Ithaca is pretty but in the middle of nowhere. Chapel hill isn't too great, Durham is worse, South bend is in the middle of nowhere, Austin is ok, bloomington is in the middle of nowhere, DC is ok and NY is cool. The school is in a great part of town and is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. not to mention a huge tourist destination. Also there is the live music and soul of the city which is awesome. The placement is good at the school in multiple areas. We just replaced Harvard on Deutsche banks core school list. We also recently added Wells Fargo, Jefferies, Piper Jaffray, Deloitte Corp Fin (McColl Partners) and Houlihan Lokey, so again the school prestige is on the rise not only in the rankings but in the eyes of recruiters. Bill Bain is an alumni so is the founder of BCG and there is a renewed interest from those employers in the school. Goldman Sachs takes a few a year. The associate dean from Tuck has come to Vanderbilt and Associate Dean of admissions from Tuck followed him. They are definitely driving the rise in the school and you can tell with the last few classes and placements. But above all was the people here. Other schools came across as stuck up but here there is a sense of community and you don't find many people that seem entitled. Honestly it was my favorite school.

Originally posted by thisisatestonlyatest on 03 Aug 2014, 11:21.
Last edited by thisisatestonlyatest on 27 Aug 2014, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
Certainly. First the school has a unique feel. The class is very intelligent and inclusive. The admissions team and the students here will do what it takes to get a person with the right fit to come to this school. It is very inclusive as compared to the other schools I visited and was accepted to. The school is on the rise and is one of the most prestigious and selective schools as a university across the board. The undergrad is ranked 17th and I am sure that will go up this year as the class and placements were better. Needless to say the Vanderbilt is more prestigious than other schools in the same ranking tier as us for MBAs. NYU, Texas, UNC, Indiana, Georgetown, Norte Dame and Carnegie Mellon are all good schools but do not carry the prestige that Vanderbilt does. This is on the rise too! The city is amazing as compared to other schools in the same tier. Ithaca is pretty but in the middle of nowhere. Chapel hill isn't too great, Durham is worse, South bend is in the middle of nowhere, Austin is ok, bloomington is in the middle of nowhere, DC is ok and NY is cool. The school is in a great part of town and is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. not to mention a huge tourist destination. Also there is the live music and soul of the city which is awesome. The placement is good at the school in multiple areas. We just replaced Harvard on Deutsche banks core school list. We also recently added Citi so again the school prestige is on the rise not only in the rankings but in the yes of recruiters. Bill Bain is an alumni so is the founder of McKinsey and there is a renewed interest from those employers in the school. Goldman Sachs takes a few a year. The associate dean from Tuck has come to Vanderbilt and Associate Dean of admissions from Tuck followed him. They are definitely driving the rise in the school and you can tell with the last few classes and placements. But above all was the people here. Other schools came across as stuck up but here there is a sense of community and you don't find many people that seem entitled. Honestly it was my favorite school.

Wow, thanks for the detailed insight into your decision criteria, I am sure it would have been a tough choice. I have a real good vibe about Owen and am definitely applying in R1. Any suggestion for the application will be really helpful :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 3.6
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All, I am part of MBA class of 2016. I'll be happy to answer your ques during & after your application.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
mbanerd16 wrote:
Hi All, I am part of MBA class of 2016. I'll be happy to answer your ques during & after your application.

Hi I have a query.

Does OWEN accept GRE score??

I have a GRE score of 1400 and a GMAT score of 610.

Confused which one to apply with??

Your guidance will be much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
You can apply with GRE score too. I recommend you to retake GMAT. It is always good to have your GMAT score for your recruiters.
GRE is new for b schools and I don't know how they evaluate candidates using both GRE & GMAT.

When did you take GRE? I think GRE is graded on a scale of 130-170 for both verbal & quant. Is you score still valid?

Can you please tell me more about your background?

anjubaid wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

Hi I have a query.

Does OWEN accept GRE score??

I have a GRE score of 1400 and a GMAT score of 610.

Confused which one to apply with??

Your guidance will be much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
mbanerd16 wrote:
You can apply with GRE score too. I recommend you to retake GMAT. It is always good to have your GMAT score for your recruiters.
GRE is new for b schools and I don't know how they evaluate candidates using both GRE & GMAT.

When did you take GRE? I think GRE is graded on a scale of 130-170 for both verbal & quant. Is you score still valid?

Can you please tell me more about your background?

anjubaid wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

I am from india.
24 M
working in a top tech firm.(20 months experience as of today.)

I am working on a business tool, with finance as my module.
I took my GRE in 2012 ....so yes the score is still valid

my academics are good
plus my Extra circular is very good.
working with many NGOs. founder of
an NGO myself.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Asset Management (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
Hey prospective Class of 2017ers! I'm also a current student in the class of 2016 and would be happy to answer any questions as well.

A lot of great things going on at Vandy at the moment - excited to be here!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Owen is now among core schools for Amazon Ops recruiting.
We have alums, 2nd years (with offers) and interns at top consulting companies - Deloitte, Bain, BCG, North Highland to name a few.
Healthcare companies on campus - Cardinal, Cigna, Humana, DaVita, McKesson to name a few industry giants.
Tech - LinkedIn, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Cisco, Samsung, all these companies hire Owen students and there are alums all over.
Nashville is an upcoming startup hub, there is lot of entrepreneurial opportunities here especially in healthcare.
Corp Finance & IB are going very strong.
Marketing placements are also strong.

There are great things happening and lot of great things are planned. Dean Eric Johnson is fantastic and he is doing lot of things.
Owen is now on 25th position in US News rankings, an impressive 10 places jump from last year.
Avg GMAT of incoming class is going up. 40+ points increase in last 4-5 years. This year avg GMAT is 688 and avg work exp is 5.5 years.

thisisatestonlyatest wrote:
Certainly. First, the school has a unique feel. The class is very intelligent and inclusive. The admissions team and the students here will do what it takes to get a person with the right fit to come to this school. It is very inclusive as compared to the other schools I visited and was accepted to. The school is on the rise and is one of the most prestigious and selective schools as a university across the board. The undergrad is ranked 17th and I am sure that will go up this year as the class and placements were better. Needless to say the Vanderbilt is more prestigious than other schools in the same ranking tier as us for MBAs. NYU, Texas, UNC, Indiana, Georgetown, Norte Dame and Carnegie Mellon are all good schools but do not carry the prestige that Vanderbilt does. This is on the rise too! The city is amazing as compared to other schools in the same tier. Ithaca is pretty but in the middle of nowhere. Chapel hill isn't too great, Durham is worse, South bend is in the middle of nowhere, Austin is ok, bloomington is in the middle of nowhere, DC is ok and NY is cool. The school is in a great part of town and is one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. not to mention a huge tourist destination. Also there is the live music and soul of the city which is awesome. The placement is good at the school in multiple areas. We just replaced Harvard on Deutsche banks core school list. We also recently added Citi so again the school prestige is on the rise not only in the rankings but in the eyes of recruiters. Bill Bain is an alumni so is the founder of McKinsey and there is a renewed interest from those employers in the school. Goldman Sachs takes a few a year. The associate dean from Tuck has come to Vanderbilt and Associate Dean of admissions from Tuck followed him. They are definitely driving the rise in the school and you can tell with the last few classes and placements. But above all was the people here. Other schools came across as stuck up but here there is a sense of community and you don't find many people that seem entitled. Honestly it was my favorite school.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Discover Weekend at Owen - 14-15 Nov
This is your opportunity to connect with admissions, current students, faculty & CMC. Visit Owen to know more and find out what do we have for you here.
This is a great way to explore Nashville too.
https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/admissio ... events.cfm
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Latest tuition fee chart -
https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/admissio ... beyond.cfm

Owen CMC is very strong, it is very well connected with hundreds of companies and alums -
https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/employers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.36
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi, I am in the process of writing the essays and I'm a little overwhelmed with the number of essays that I have to write.
On top of the application page, I found a section which provided a link to the application instructions to identify which essays are mandatory. However, the link just led to a page where it said to write the "required essays" not specifying which ones. So which are the mandatory and optional essays?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Here is the list of essays. Explanatory essays are optional.
I recommend you to connect with admission team and ask specific question. You can send email or call.

Mandatory Essays -
1) Explain your post-degree short-term and long-term career plans as specifically as possible. When combined with your studies at Owen, how will your background, experiences, interests and personal attributes enable you to pursue these goals successfully?
2) Vanderbilt looks for individuals who will make an impact. Discuss a time when you made an impact in your professional or personal life. How has this experience equipped you to contribute to the Vanderbilt community?

Explanatory Essays
1) You are strongly encouraged to provide an additional statement to clarify and explain any of the following: gaps of more than three months in full-time employment, lack of recommendation from your current or most recent supervisor, limited full-time work experience (ignore if you are a recent undergraduate), poor academic performance, weak test scores, academic misconduct, violations of the law, or anything else you think is important for the Admissions Committee to know about you that is not already addressed elsewhere in your application. Applicants reactivating a previous application submitted within the last two years should provide their additional statement here.
2) You may provide in the space below any additional information you would like for us to consider that would strengthen your application. (For MSF / JD applicants please use this space to upload your Statement of Purpose.)

Activities -
1) Professional Activities: Describe any professional, academic, and community activities or organizations with which you have been involved that are important to you (description, positions held, responsibilities/accomplishments, dates of involvement)
2) Personal Activities: Describe any personal or community activities or organizations with which you have been involved that are important to you (description, positions held, responsibilities/accomplishments, dates of involvement).
3) Cross-Cultural Experience: Describe any significant periods of time you have spent living, working, studying or traveling outside of your home country (location, purpose/description, starting and ending dates).

nikhil09 wrote:
Hi, I am in the process of writing the essays and I'm a little overwhelmed with the number of essays that I have to write.
On top of the application page, I found a section which provided a link to the application instructions to identify which essays are mandatory. However, the link just led to a page where it said to write the "required essays" not specifying which ones. So which are the mandatory and optional essays?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Send PM
The Admissions Process Chat
Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:30 am - 12:30 PM CDT
https://www.owen.vanderbilt.edu/admissio ... 664=112505