Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.55
WE:Asset Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q44  V27 GMAT 2: 720  Q48  V41
GPA: 7.9
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
vinaykprao1987 wrote:
Hey Guys,

First post this admission season.
I was wondering about the length of the resume. I know one page is the usual standard. But considering the Harvard Essay prompt this year, I was not sure if resume be could be longer. Further the instructions once you start the application states
"Resume
Instructions: Please provide a current resume or CV. Ideally, this would be about 1-2 pages in length, but we're not going to make a fuss if yours happens to be longer than that. "

What are your thoughts ?

See my post a page or two back--unless you've got 15-20 years of work experience, there's no reason you can't distill your important accomplishments down to a one-page resume.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Financial Aid: How We Do It At HBS
You don’t need me to tell you that business school is an expensive undertaking. Beyond the actual tuition and living expenses, there are the difficult-to-truly-calculate opportunity costs. Everyone whom we admit is undoubtedly doing VERY well out there in the Real World. Embarking on a two year business school adventure is a big decision.

We want to make it affordable.

Last year we awarded about $26 million in need-based financial aid. We plan to increase the amount for the Class of 2017.

Where does this money come from? Our alumni. They look back on the HBS experience as having been transformational in both professional and personal ways and they are eager to give back. Their favorite way to do this is through financial aid.

You’ve heard this before but I want to repeat it: our admissions process is need-blind. Although we ask for your income, this is more for us to understand different industries/paths vs. anything to do with evaluation. Our financial aid is need-based.

Here are 3 bullet points which may be helpful:

• We do not award full fellowships. This means that no student will be fully funded by HBS.

• You do not apply for financial aid until AFTER you receive an offer of admission.

• We have a loan program for international students which does not require a U.S. co-signer.

After you have completed a financial aid application, you will receive an award package from HBS. In making our awards, we rely on a formula which takes into account whether you are single or married and can be adjusted for documented exceptional circumstances. Parental income and assets are not considered in the calculation.

Let me repeat what I said earlier: we want to make HBS affordable. We want you to make post-MBA career decisions based on your dreams and aspirations, not a burdensome debt repayment obligation. We believe in the value proposition of our MBA - a place where leadership talent becomes a force to make a positive difference in the world. And we are confident that our students will become the alumni who are enthusiastic about enabling the next generation of HBS-aspirants to do the same.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Really excited to go through this process. Almost done with my application and essay. Looks like I can submit by Labor Day. Good luck everyone!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Kudos
I just wanted to add my 0.02 on resumes:

Do not overlook this piece of your application; in fact, I actually think it may be more important than most people give credit for (and the essay less so). More than half of my HBS interview was spent on two hobbies listed on the very bottom line of my resume. It blew me away how detail-oriented the admissions team was (and I wrote about that in my 24 hour follow-up). Every single line on your resume should be 100% solid; do NOT embellish and do NOT flippantly put things on there. HBS will read it and hold you to it. Know it inside and out like a job interview. And put serious pursuits on there (even hobbies) and be prepared to talk about them with real passion.

If your resume is longer than a page, I would assume you just reduced your chances. HBS applications are about the art of brevity. 1 page max, and don't cheat with itty-bitty margins. Just cut out the air!

Also, while I applied in Fall 2012 (am currently HBS Class of 2015), there were 2 required essay prompts - describe something you did well, and something you didn't do so well at. I think I wrote a much more introspective and better essay for the latter. I'd encourage anyone trying to think of what to write to honestly own up to a failure or weakness in the workplace (or in another context), and how you turned it around.

DO NOT OVERWRITE! Every prior essay was 400 words each. I would shoot for your personal essay to be this length or shorter.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: GMAT/GRE: How we think about your score
We promised that we’d be a bit more transparent about the GMAT/GRE issue. We’ve said for a while now that not only do we accept both tests, but we are agnostic about our preference. So here are some numbers. Please don’t over-crunch.

It’s important to note that candidates this year will NOT have an option to submit both tests. We need to officially verify scores and prefer to do it for only one test per candidate.

Total Matriculating Admits
Total Applicants during 2013-2014
GMAT
GRE
Both
Total

Those are the numbers, but the reasoning behind how we look at the scores is probably important for you to understand. We care less about the overall score than we do about the components. And we look at the subscores in the context of the candidate’s profile.

For example, an engineer with top grades who’s been doing highly quantitative work doesn’t need a high GMAT/GRE-Q to convince us he/she is capable of doing the quantitative work at HBS. But an English major whose transcript shows no quantitative coursework and has not done anything quantitative professionally or in post-college academics would be helped by a strong GMAT/GRE quant score. The corollary is true too: candidates who don’t have a background that demonstrates extensive practice in reading and writing may be helped by strong verbal subscores.

Another important reminder: every candidate needs to submit EITHER the GMAT or GRE at the time of application. We don’t accept LSATs, MCATs, SATs or the fact that you had exceptional undergraduate grades. On our application, you input the unofficial score - the official score report can reach us after the deadline.

Hope this is helpful . . . .

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM

Harvard Business School has announced that registration for class visits is now open. In her latest blog post, Director of Admissions and Financial Aid Dee Leopold notes that the first day to visit a class is September 10th, which is after the Round 1 deadline.

Applicants shouldn’t be worried though, as a campus visit bears no influence on the HBS evaluation process. Besides, Leopold points out, if you’re invited to interview and come to campus to do so, you’ll be able to sit in on a class at that time.

Also, the initial visits in September are for second-year classes only, in order to give new students a chance to get comfortable with the case method and their section mates. Visitors scheduled in early October will be able to observe a first-year class in action, and registration for these visits will begin in early September.

Leopold writes that second-year students begin leading HBS tours and information sessions in September, so visitors at that time can and should take advantage of hearing from current students about the MBA program, in addition to admissions staff members. You can check the events section of the Harvard Business School website for the schedule of tours and info sessions.
You may also be interested in:
Harvard Business School 2014 MBA Application Tips

MBA Trends at Harvard Business School and Beyond

Harvard Business School Enters Online Learning

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
The growing number of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) offered at the top business schools is something of a hot button topic these days. Harvard Business School joined the fray this past spring, but rather than using an existing platform such as Coursera to launch its courses, HBS elected instead to create its own proprietary digital platform, HBX.

In a new Harvard Business Review blog post, HBS graduate and former faculty member Pankaj Ghemawat takes a look at what business schools don’t get about MOOCs, which, he argues, is basically that the future of management education will be a combination of these new and traditional teaching methods, not a battle for superiority between them.

As an example, Ghemawat points out the difference in approach between HBS and the Wharton School, which last year announced it would offer a Wharton MBA Foundation Series that would allow students all over the world to learn the same material a first-year Wharton MBA student would. Harvard Business School, meanwhile, is using its MOOCs to target pre-MBAs.

Professor Ghemawat, who has also taught a MOOC for IESE Business School on the Coursera platform, sees the strengths of each of these approaches but calls them seriously incomplete.

“Both schools treat MOOCs as complements to their existing offerings, rather than as substitutes—complements that are disconnected from what goes on in their traditional classrooms,” says Ghemawat, who suggests a recombining of efforts would be more beneficial.

His post covers arguments from the traditional-minded elite business schools’ position, and offers thought-provoking counterpoints to each assertion. As we move further into the digital age of management education, a deeper understanding of the power and possibilities that MOOCs can provide is in order. I invite you to follow the link above to learn more of Ghemawat’s thoughts on the issue.
You may also be interested in:
Harvard Business School Offers its First MOOC

Harvard Business School Enters Online Learning

Weigh Trying a MOOC Before Your MBA

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
snowedinboston wrote:

DO NOT OVERWRITE! Every prior essay was 400 words each. I would shoot for your personal essay to be this length or shorter.

Hmmm I appreciate your thoughts. I have heard some people recommend keeping the essay to 800 words, but not 400. Mine is currently 867 words and I am basically ready to hit submit. You've made me question it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
gotti wrote:
snowedinboston wrote:

Hmmm I appreciate your thoughts. I have heard some people recommend keeping the essay to 800 words, but not 400. Mine is currently 867 words and I am basically ready to hit submit. You've made me question it!

Don't over-think; just answer the question and move on. For some people, this will be well in excess of 800 words, but for many it will not. I think what snowedinboston /others point out is that most people add fluff when they write, and your content will be stronger without said fluff. (This is the same thing every English teacher has pointed out.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Kudos
gotti wrote:
snowedinboston wrote:

Most of the essays in the Harbus Essay Book are about 800 words each, so I wouldn't worry about your essay length. What matters the most is the content, as TheNightmanCometh pointed out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Keen to get some thoughts on this..would the below count as an extracurricular activity:

I was on the Graduate Committee at my workplace for about 18 months. The role was voluntary and had no bearing on my performance reviews -infact my manager didn't even know something like this existed within the company!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
ZoSoKM wrote:
Keen to get some thoughts on this..would the below count as an extracurricular activity:

I was on the Graduate Committee at my workplace for about 18 months. The role was voluntary and had no bearing on my performance reviews -infact my manager didn't even know something like this existed within the company!

I believe Harvard is mostly looking for community involvement or extra-curriculars during school. I would say yours is not technically either. You are limited to 3 activities, if you have 3 decent activities that don't include the Graduate Committee I would suggest that you do not include it. That said, if your choice is only including 2 activities, or adding the Committee, then by all means add it. It won't hurt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.81
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
gotti wrote:
ZoSoKM wrote:

I believe Harvard is mostly looking for community involvement or extra-curriculars during school. I would say yours is not technically either. You are limited to 3 activities, if you have 3 decent activities that don't include the Graduate Committee I would suggest that you do not include it. That said, if your choice is only including 2 activities, or adding the Committee, then by all means add it. It won't hurt.

I don't think that that is the case. I would even say that more recent extracurriculars are more desirable.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: Harvard University
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM