Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Current Rotman Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM uwengdori: Win a trip to Rotman open house weekend!
Such a great opportunity especially for international students who want to learn and visit Rotman in person!

Click for more details here.

Deadline: Sept. 14, 2014, 11:59PM EST (Eastern)

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Rotman Orientation Aug 26-28, 2014
Rotman Orientation Camp

Aug 26-28 was a fairly busy daily for me entire days. We had our very first Rotman Orientation Camp (different from the one held by Graduate Business Council). I only found out about it one day before the start of the event, but I managed to make all the necessary contacts and participate.

Just two weeks ago, I never imagined that I would be able to take a part of this class together, which is why it made me feel nostalgic, happy, and resolute as well in some way.

Starting off with the introduction of the Fulltime MBA by Mihnea Moldoveanu, associate dean of the Rotman MBA, the class started to jump into what the Rotman MBA is truly about.

I actually felt somewhat relieved and became very attentive (more than before) when he demonstrated some of the examples of MBA problem solving using engineering examples. Coming from an engineering background, I could understand his words and what he meant to say more easily.

In the afternoon of day one, the class, divided into teams, has completed an interesting exercise called a reciprocity ring. Basically, how it works is that  you share your current needs/wants (ex: I want a cat, I want to learn how to play piano) and your first point of network (your class) will try to come up with solutions altogether, and if not, their friends will try to help, and if not, even their friends of friends will help! While it may not sound very useful, you would not believe what kind of solutions and network surrounds you.

While walking back home, I noticed a bike share, something that reminds me of the one I saw in New York. Although I haven’t found a need for it yet, hopefully I can try it sometime.

Lunchtime is always exciting.

The main advantage of the Rotman MBA is definitely the summer internship with a well-equipped career centre which is there to fully support your career development needs. To prepare, we had a chance to attend a session ‘2-hour job search’ by Steve Dalton, an author of the book ‘2-Hour Job Search.’ His job search, filtering, and networking methods were indeed very interesting and insightful with a few tricks that I can hide up my sleeves.

Followed by current second year student career panel, we had chances to hear what to expect going forth.

UT Bookstore. I have a feeling I will be visiting this place quite often.

What happens when you mix some of water to the wine, then pour mixed wine substance back into the water?

https://joshatrotman.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-08-28-11-44-41.jpg

How I design my MBA. How I maximize its value and get the best outcome is totally up to me.

Just don’t hand over your joystick to someone else.

https://joshatrotman.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-08-28-16-52-13.jpg

So the long three day orientation is over and while admitted candidates also have options not to attend this orientation, my personal opinion: it should be mandatory to attend, and here’s why.

• It is a good time to find out what to really expect in terms of studies, careers, and mindset to equip as a Rotman student
  • You have a chance to network with your classmates beforehand. Everyone is basically new as well, so you will meet many people with interesting backgrounds.
  • My first class started yesterday, and I feel more acquainted with the Rotman environment both physical and mentally. It is definitely better than jumping into the class straight.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: First week of Rotman

The first week of Rotman has finally ended. It was just first week, literally, but was already full of action.

It was great to see new undergraduates coming in. Reminded me of my frosh year 9 years ago.

Almighty engineers

Very first GBC party. Due to unexpected bad weather with rain and thunder, I had no choice, but to skip.

Welcome to Yonge Street.

So this was the recap of my first week in photos, and this is what I think about my first week.

Here’s what I found was different from undergraduate

1. Teamwork

Most of the assignments are group work and due to a lot of deadlines coming ahead, you have to be extremely organized, but also continue to communicate with your group members. Emphasis on collaboration and integrative thinking are definitely pluses because unlike classrooms, real world out there is totally different with various unknown variables. It is great that Rotman curriculum allows you to prepare for it in advance. Yet of course, this means it might not be as appealing if you prefer solo work.

2. Professionalism

You are now a representative and an embodiment of your school. This, of course, was emphasized in undergraduate, but you don’t really know because you are too young and haven’t experienced the significant of networking yet. Once you starting going to a business school, every action and word you make and speak means something and will leave a print.

3. Old

Seeing these new frosh students excitedly running around the St. George campus, it really makes me feel old.

Of course, this is meant to be a joke.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: 2015 Rotman MBA Admission Essay Tips
One of the most crucial parts of the MBA admission application is an essay. This is an opportunity to tell the adcom who you are and what you want them to know about you which aren’t clearly addressed in your career and academic grades. Luckily, a very helpful admission essay tip has been posted by the official MBA admission blog, so please check it out. My personal tip when it comes to essay is that when the admission committee has posted the essay tips, they actually do mean them (no need for you to look for separate essay guides or even pay for them online!), so please take them as the tips have been prepared to help you prepare a better application for the Rotman MBA admission.

https://inside.rotman.utoronto.ca/admissions/2014/09/04/tips-unlock-2015-rotman-admission-essays/

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Managerial Economics Quiz Tomorrow

Finally.

The very first graded component of the Rotman classes is tomorrow – managerial economics quiz. Am I ready? Not so sure until I actually receive my quiz paper. I just hope that I can make it through. Meanwhile, here’s what I learned about preparing.

1. Read ahead

It’s only the first week of class and there is a lot of work to be done. Always try to be diligent with how you spend your time.

2. Organization is key.

My ‘buddy’ told me this actually and I now believe it to be true. There is a lot of events and due dates going on simultaneously and it’s easy to miss what’s going on.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Welcome to CLUBS FAIR!
https://joshatrotman.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-09-08-17-15-56.jpg

That is a lot of people. Rotman’s very first GBC Clubs Fair took place this week. With all the studying and workload that you need to handle, it is definitely important to find a way to do something fun to do as well. Well, based on certain clubs, it could either give you more pressure as for example, if you join an academic club, it could feel like an extension to the coursework. You know what I mean. I had chances to grab some pizzas and walk around the Desautels Hall. Everyone looked excited and was debating which one to join. I also have a few in mind, so I am thinking which one would help me make the best out of life at Rotman.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Caffeine, Carb, and Protein

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Business Design Bootcamp
Coming from an engineering background with user experience design focus, their emphasis on design aspect was very refreshing and it was one of the main reasons why I wanted to be at Rotman. Last Saturday, I finally had a chance to attend designWorks’ business design workshop.

The main purpose was to design something based on three pillars: empathy, prototyping, and business strategy. Of course, user-friendly products are important, but incorporating business aspect of it into the cycle was definitely something I particularly found interesting about.

Lot of post-its. If you have an idea, start writing. Sky is the limit.

Thank you, Whole Foods.

This is the one prototype my group created using a persona user story. I drew cartoons ever since I was a kid and I think I still got it.

and of course the rock paper and scissor event, which is when unfortunately my cellphone battery ran out.

My thoughts: IT WAS AWESOME!!! One main misconception about MBA is that it is usually all about finance, management consulting, investment banking and all the money-related careers, but with a world becoming so complex, you need become a creative thinker. If you are able to express ideas more visually and understand technical people’s ideas, even better. I am glad Rotman studies and clubs’ emphasis on design are very serious and this is one of the strong components that differentiates Rotman from other MBAs.

What I also realized is that, you know how we always talk about “let’s be creative”, or “be innovative”. We use these words so easily, but once we start brainstorming and sharing ideas, we get stuck. What does it mean to be creative and innovative anyway?

Do not jump into solutions right away. Think about what needs are necessary to be met.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Clubs Kickoff

I won a t-shirt during raffle for the first time. Free tshirt! I am starting to love BDC even more haha!

So, many Rotman clubs started their kick-offs this week. No, they’re not typical undergraduate clubs. They are embodiments of Rotman school body and have various workshops as well as chances to directly talk to prospective employers. Clubs are big deals at Rotman and to manage both school and clubs, about 1-2 clubs should suffice.

These are what I’ve joined so far:

• Business Design Club
  • Marketing Association
  • Engineers in Management
  • Business Technology Group
Perhaps you’ve noticed that all my clubs are focused towards design and technology focused. It is because in my case, I personally wanted to pursue a career in technology. There are various Rotman clubs that allow you to specialize in certain career path (such as what I did above) to strengthen your experiences and resume even further on top of adding ‘MBA Candidate’ beside your name.

But of course, these are also supposed to be fun, so let’s not forget that.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Days at Rotman

View from the Rotman 3rd floor group study rooms

After rainy morning, sun has come up. Personally, I prefer rainy days more than sunny days, but it was good to see really clear blue sky in awhile. Some of the study rooms have windows available, so let’s not forget that.

One of my favorite places in Rotman is definitely the 3rd floor study cubicle room. First, it’s for Rotman students only that require special key access, and don’t need to try to find a place to study in Robarts library. Besides, it’s really clean.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Christian Rudder

Topic: How New Media Permits Data Mining and Allows Us to Predict Behaviours and Patterns with Previously Unimaginable Accuracy

Date:

September 25, 2014

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Class diversity is more than just a B-school buzzword
As a first year student, what I really believed to be awesome is its amazing class diversity, and when we say diversity, it’s not just about nationality, ethnicity, gender, and so on. It means more than that.

Check out Mr. Moses’ admission blog post on what it really means.

https://inside.rotman.utoronto.ca/admissions/

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Last final exam

It felt like just a few days ago when I was attending the orientation week at Rotman, and before realizing, I am already having my very last final exam of the first term: Foundation Term.

The foundation term is basically, well, foundation. It’s one month intensive study month that teaches you in the areas of data-driven decision making processes, ethics as a business person, and economics at a managerial level, to help students prepare for the upcoming serious courses. For that reason, course credit weights are indeed half those of Term 1 courses that start this October.

My thoughts so far on the courses:

-review materials and prepare for next ones as much as possible. It does get difficult with group projects and meetings, but I think at least keep studying and refreshing them little by little every day is better than cramming before the exam.

Hopefully, I can do well on the exam tomorrow and share some more thoughts soon.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Chicken

healthy. yum

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Rotman Open House 2014

Exciting Saturday where you get to visit Rotman in person and see what being a Rotman student feels like. Sign up now!

www.rotman.utoronto.ca/openhouse

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: @CDW

Welcom to Career Decision Week 2014.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori: Business Information Centre

This is Business Information Centre and is my favorite place in Rotman where I get to see the entire Toronoto. Great place to get some air. Just because you’re special, I am sharing this with you :)

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts