Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink]
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
@Me or Farhan?

I think that Harvard will require you to take the TOEFL if you don't have an undergrad or a grad degree from a school where English is the sole language of instruction. Plus, they DISCOURAGE applicants with less than 109 on the TOEFL (clearly says so on the website).

Why? Planning HBS in R2? Surely with your great GMAT a lot of schools would have opened up as options?

As for me. I am not re-taking the GMAT. I think I am OK at the schools that I am targeting, GMAT-wise. But, lets see. :-D

That was for farhaan :)
In my transcripts, it is clearly mentioned that the mode of education as English. I think TOEFL was not required at all.

Ya, the score did widen the area of application, but still pondering upon HBS and CBS .
Too much to ask for ... just on the basis of GMAT, its very difficult. Lets see what happens.

Your GMAT is cool man ... No need to retake it :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

!

An important announcement!

Hi All,

We have collaborated with the ISB admissions team and will be having a Chat session with Mr. Rupesh Bisht.
Here is a snapshot of his profile at ISB.

"Rupesh Bisht heads PGP International marketing and the Young Leaders Programme at ISB. He is Associate Director with Admissions and Financial Aid Department at ISB and also an alumnus from the class of 2009."

Timings for the session: 8.30 PM IST (8:00 AM PST) on 1st of September 2014.

All the people who could not join the session last time or had some unanswered questions, here is your chance. Do join and get all the queries clarified.
There cannot be a better time for the session. Most of you would have completed the initial draft of the essays and would have some questions regarding what all to add and remove.

Get them clarified :)

All the best! and happy essays writing :)
Ankur
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Guys,

with 15 days for ISB's R1 deadline, the countdown has begun today.

Surprisingly, I see very little traction on this thread. Let's build momentum and gear up for the big day.

Keep your questions coming in all of you, and benefit from the collective advice of your peers (and consultants, ofcourse :wink: !!)

All the best!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi all,

Hope you all are ready with your questions. Details of the chat room can be found in this post.

calling-all-isb-applicants-2015-intake-class-of-170219.html#p1356136
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hi,
I am a woman re-applicant working on my essays currently. I would like to know if I can highlight women issues in business. I want to know if it would sound feminist? I don't want to sound feminist, but I also find the inequality so apparent.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bullzeye wrote:
Hi,
I am a woman re-applicant working on my essays currently. I would like to know if I can highlight women issues in business. I want to know if it would sound feminist? I don't want to sound feminist, but I also find the inequality so apparent.

Bullzeye, does your answer hit the bull's eye? What question asked by ISB does this directly answer? If your answer sounds irrelevant to the question, do not attempt it, no matter how strongly you feel about women empowerment.

Once you are inside ISB, you will get many forums to talk about this and express your views. Similarly, when you are a manager of consequence a few years later, you can implement strategies within your capacity to address this matter.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
bullzeye wrote:
Hi,

I would second Namita. If you can relate your stories to the questions asked, go ahead and write it. If not, then do not attempt it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes Namitha, I was in one such situation myself and it is relevant to my understanding of myself. It is also relevant to the question. I know there would be places where I can do that later, but, what now? So, should I go ahead with the issue?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Ankur! I think I have done that quite convincingly. I thought it was a fresh angle and also one that I could relate to myself.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
bullzeye wrote:
Yes Namitha, I was in one such situation myself and it is relevant to my understanding of myself. It is also relevant to the question. I know there would be places where I can do that later, but, what now? So, should I go ahead with the issue?

You can share your essay with me: contact@mbadecoder.com
Current Student
Send PM
Ok Honest feedback time :oops: :oops: :oops:

ISB told me to work on my Verbal score / "WOW" them during interview.

In the last year I have accomplished a few things to "WOW" the interviewers
1. Learning a new language (Ties with my career goals)
2. More community involvement (Teaching and mentoring kids)
3. Larger network(Through various activities on social media)
4. Given the biggest portfolio in my company
5. New business for company

Even though I feel I have done a few things which I can "Wow" them with I think the GMAT is a hurdle. A point drop in Verbal and ultimately 20 point drop in score 670 from 690. I am losing patience with GMAT and don't think I will have time to take it again with all the apps deadline around the corner. What do you guys suggest? Should I drop a few extra-curricular activities and focus only on GMAT. I am afraid it might not lead to an overall impact in profile but I know ISB gives lot of weightage to GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
farhanc85 wrote:
Ok Honest feedback time :oops: :oops: :oops:

ISB told me to work on my Verbal score / "WOW" them during interview.

In the last year I have accomplished a few things to "WOW" the interviewers
1. Learning a new language (Ties with my career goals)
2. More community involvement (Teaching and mentoring kids)
3. Larger network(Through various activities on social media)
4. Given the biggest portfolio in my company
5. New business for company

Even though I feel I have done a few things which I can "Wow" them with I think the GMAT is a hurdle. A point drop in Verbal and ultimately 20 point drop in score 670 from 690. I am losing patience with GMAT and don't think I will have time to take it again with all the apps deadline around the corner. What do you guys suggest? Should I drop a few extra-curricular activities and focus only on GMAT. I am afraid it might not lead to an overall impact in profile but I know ISB gives lot of weightage to GMAT.

Wow. The number of times things keep coming back to the GMAT!!!

Well, your score remains at 690. I am sure you will choose to report the higher score.

Make sure to mention the "Wow" things in your essays as well. Some in the re-applicant essay and some in the other essays (like language in the career essay). I don't think dropping the extra-curriculars will be the best idea. You could slow them down a little, but don't drop them. They might come in useful at other interviews/ update essay (in case you get waitlisted). As for the GMAT, I would say, think about it if you are applying in R2 to few places as well.

There are many threads discussing ways to improve on your GMAT, so I won't go into that here (do read up Ankurs debrief and maybe mine as well). My suggestions - with a calm mind, think about what went wrong which prevented you from getting a higher score? Did you run out of time on the verbal section, feel tired or were there questions where you were stumped? Write this down and then decide on strategies to go about this.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
I agree with what Gmatbugsme4 has written- analyse what you did wring and whether you can improve it with a retake. If not then you need to move on.
Current Student
Send PM
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

Well, your score remains at 690. I am sure you will choose to report the higher score.

Make sure to mention the "Wow" things in your essays as well. Some in the re-applicant essay and some in the other essays (like language in the career essay). I don't think dropping the extra-curriculars will be the best idea. You could slow them down a little, but don't drop them. They might come in useful at other interviews/ update essay (in case you get waitlisted). As for the GMAT, I would say, think about it if you are applying in R2 to few places as well.

There are many threads discussing ways to improve on your GMAT, so I won't go into that here (do read up Ankurs debrief and maybe mine as well). My suggestions - with a calm mind, think about what went wrong which prevented you from getting a higher score? Did you run out of time on the verbal section, feel tired or were there questions where you were stumped? Write this down and then decide on strategies to go about this.

Tell me about it. I choose to report scores, I hope the school consider the higher one ;). Regarding debrief and way to improve GMAT, I don't think I have missed on any thread/post (including yours and Ankur's debriefs :))About what happened during the G-day, I actually have no clue. I wasn't tired, didn't think I was making many mistakes and didn't really pay attention to my answers being right/wrong. I was in turbo mode during verbal just applying what I learned during mocks and my e-gmat session. So, I have no idea where I can improve. I remember i rushed through last 3 questions in verbal but other than that no issue :S. So No idea where to improve this time. Hence, I was thinking of giving up on GMAT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
farhanc85 wrote:
gmatbugsme84 wrote:

Tell me about it. I choose to report scores, I hope the school consider the higher one ;). Regarding debrief and way to improve GMAT, I don't think I have missed on any thread/post (including yours and Ankur's debriefs :))About what happened during the G-day, I actually have no clue. I wasn't tired, didn't think I was making many mistakes and didn't really pay attention to my answers being right/wrong. I was in turbo mode during verbal just applying what I learned during mocks and my e-gmat session. So, I have no idea where I can improve. I remember i rushed through last 3 questions in verbal but other than that no issue :S. So No idea where to improve this time. Hence, I was thinking of giving up on GMAT.

What does your errorlog for the Verbal section of your mock CATs look like? Analyze it. I found the online Manhattan test series very helpful. It has a nice little error log and analysis feature which proved very helpful to me for my final attempt.

BTW, you will tell the school which score you want to go on your file. In the GMAT portion of the application, you have to put in the appointment no and test date. They will consider this score as long as it is a valid score. So your score remains at 690 even if you choose to report the newer (670) score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi Guys..

Just wanted some info on the interview location options in the application. The options available include Bangalore,Mumbai etc. but the Note below the field in the form asks us to select only Hyderabad, Delhi or Mohali. Any idea if these are the only interview locations and why other locations are available to be selected?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Please provide insight on my profile and candidature for ISB

Background - Manufacturing Engineer with over 5 years of experience.
- 4 years and 4 months in the US
- 9 months of experience as a Consultant in India.

Education -
- GMAT - 680 - Q48, V35, IR2, AWA 5.5
- MS in Industrial Engineering, GPA 3.7/4.0
- BE in Manufacturing Engineering GPA - 77.7%
- XII th - Average = 87%
- Xth - Average = 93.2%

Extra Curricular -
- State Level debate winner
- District level Table Tennis Player
- Organised various cultural and technical festivals in undergrad.
- Vice President - Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- Secretary and Project Co-coordinator for Association for India's Development (AID).

Please advise, as I am planning to apply in R2, (before November 30th 2014)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  51   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts