Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:21 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618600 [9]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618600 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: V01-11 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
melin94 wrote:
D) should be correct.
Semicolon introduces to INDEPENDENT clauses; therefore, both need a subject and working verb.
Only D avoids that construction by introducing a prepositional phrase (No need of S+V)

In option D, "with the exception of " is a wrong idiom - "except for" is more concise and better. Moreover "certain Spanish translations" does not make sense. Thus option D is wrong.

In option B, "except for Spanish translations of certain books..." is not an independent clause, and hence does not require a semicolon before it. "Except" is a preposition and "except for Spanish translations of certain books" is a prepositional phrase used as a verb modifier for the verb "need".

Option B is hence better than option D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 225
Send PM
Kudos
sayantanc2k wrote:
melin94 wrote:
D) should be correct.
Semicolon introduces to INDEPENDENT clauses; therefore, both need a subject and working verb.
Only D avoids that construction by introducing a prepositional phrase (No need of S+V)

In option D, "with the exception of " is a wrong idiom - "except for" is more concise and better. Moreover "certain Spanish translations" does not make sense. Thus option D is wrong.

In option B, "except for Spanish translations of certain books..." is not an independent clause, and hence does not require a semicolon before it. "Except" is a preposition and "except for Spanish translations of certain books" is a prepositional phrase used as a verb modifier for the verb "need".

Can you please explain why in this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mauritius-wa ... 73682.html

the expert states that starting a clause with except makes it independent and thus requires a period or semicolon OR a conjunction like "but" before "except"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The university library offers most of the resources Ronald will need; except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he will have to request from a neighboring university.

A. need; except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he
B. need, except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he
C. need, accept for Spanish translations of certain books, which he
D. need, with the exception of certain Spanish translations of books which he
E. need, but there are few books in Spanish which he

The second sentence is incomplete and must corrected by the addition of a comma and appropriate subordinating conjunction.
  1. Except is a subordinating conjunction that makes the sentence after the semicolon incomplete.
  2. Except works properly as a subordinating conjunction here, joining the fact that Ronald has access to most of the resources he will need to the fact that Spanish translations will not be available.
  3. Accept sounds like except, but is not correct.
  4. The phrase certain Spanish translations of books is wordy and unnecessary.
  5. The conjunction but in this option changes the meaning of the sentence, as does the adjusted phrase there are few books in Spanish which he.

Answer: B

The reason why i eliminated B was that i thought the sentence between the two commas is the one which doesn't contribute to the sentence greatly which is not the case over here. Where did i go wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rajeet1234 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

The university library offers most of the resources Ronald will need; except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he will have to request from a neighboring university.

A. need; except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he
B. need, except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he
C. need, accept for Spanish translations of certain books, which he
D. need, with the exception of certain Spanish translations of books which he
E. need, but there are few books in Spanish which he

The second sentence is incomplete and must corrected by the addition of a comma and appropriate subordinating conjunction.
  1. Except is a subordinating conjunction that makes the sentence after the semicolon incomplete.
  2. Except works properly as a subordinating conjunction here, joining the fact that Ronald has access to most of the resources he will need to the fact that Spanish translations will not be available.
  3. Accept sounds like except, but is not correct.
  4. The phrase certain Spanish translations of books is wordy and unnecessary.
  5. The conjunction but in this option changes the meaning of the sentence, as does the adjusted phrase there are few books in Spanish which he.

Answer: B

The reason why i eliminated B was that i thought the sentence between the two commas is the one which doesn't contribute to the sentence greatly which is not the case over here. Where did i go wrong?

There are situations when the information between two commas is just a modifier, and some people will advise you to "ignore it" under certain circumstances, such as when you're evaluating subject-verb agreement. For example:

The buffet of African dishes, including ndole and several okra-based stews, is truly breathtaking.

For a moment, you could "ignore" the part between commas, so that it's easier to see that "is" is the correct form of the verb. Fair enough.

But that does NOT mean that you want to ignore things just because they're between commas! That's a terrible habit to get into. Pretty much everything in an GMAT sentence is there for a reason. It might not have a grammatical error, but everything has at least some impact on the meaning of the sentence. So if you think about what the sentence -- in its entirety, without stripping things out -- is actually saying, (B) doesn't look so bad, right?

I hope this helps!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
YYZ wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
melin94 wrote:
D) should be correct.

Can you please explain why in this post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mauritius-wa ... 73682.html

the expert states that starting a clause with except makes it independent and thus requires a period or semicolon OR a conjunction like "but" before "except"

The word "except" doesn't automatically create an independent clause. Here's a version of the sentence in the post you linked to:

Mauritius was a British colony for almost 200 years, except in the domains of administration and teaching, the English language was never really spoken on the island.

Check out the part in blue: "except in the domains of administration and teaching" isn't an independent clause, right? It's just a modifier that describes the full, independent clause that follows ("the English language was never really spoken on the island"). The expert that made the post was just saying that the sentence in its current form has two independent clauses, separated only by a comma. But it's not true that "except" automatically creates an independent clause.

I hope this helps a bit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Hi,
Thanks for the explanation. One follow-up question though.
In the given question plugging in the answer choice the statement will look as follow:
The university library offers most of the resources Ronald will need, except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he will have to request from a neighboring university.

Now if i look at the above statement from the perspective you mentioned. "which he will have to request from a neighboring university" should be an independent clause. Is it the case here? Is not a comma which modifier, clause modifying noun phrase "Spanish translations of certain books".

Please help me resolve this doubt. GMATNinja
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
ruchik wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the explanation. One follow-up question though.
In the given question plugging in the answer choice the statement will look as follow:
The university library offers most of the resources Ronald will need, except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he will have to request from a neighboring university.

Now if i look at the above statement from the perspective you mentioned. "which he will have to request from a neighboring university" should be an independent clause. Is it the case here? Is not a comma which modifier, clause modifying noun phrase "Spanish translations of certain books".

Please help me resolve this doubt. GMATNinja

Yes, the which clause ("which he will have to request from a neighboring university") does indeed modify the noun phrase "Spanish translations of certain books"! But, by itself, "which he will have to request from a neighboring university" clearly isn't an independent clause. Even "he will have to request from a neighboring university" wouldn't qualify as a complete thought because it leaves us wondering, "He will have to request what?"

The which clause has a subject (he) and a verb (will have to request), but that doesn't make it an independent clause. The only independent clause in the OA is the first part of the sentence ("the university library offers most of the resources Ronald will need"), and there's no reason why we would have to have another independent clause in the sentence.

I hope this helps!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618600 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The question has been revised and edited. Thank you sayantanc2k !!!
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
sayantanc2k
Could you please explain why option A is incorrect. How does a semi-colon before except make it a wrong answer choice?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
PyjamaScientist wrote:
sayantanc2k
Could you please explain why option A is incorrect. How does a semi-colon before except make it a wrong answer choice?

A semicolon is used to separate two independent clauses. (Independent clause is a complete sentence standing alone, having a subject and a predicate.)

In option A, the part after the semicolon ("except for Spanish translations of certain books, which he will have to request from a neighboring university") is not an independent clause (i.e. not a complete sentence, which can stand alone) - this part consists of a phrase starting with "except" ("except for Spanish translations of certain books") and a dependent clause ("which he will have to request from a neighboring university") . There is no subject or no main verb, making it an incomplete sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Send PM
Why is E wrong? I have been struggling for 20 minutes or so here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 128
Schools: HBS
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Kudos
What's wrong with E? In SC, we should not care about the meaning of the original sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
I dont understand what is wrong with option E. Sure the meaning is completely different. But as far as I can tell, there is no grammatical error. Can you help me out with this? GMATNinja @Sajad1994 KarishmaB
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
szcz wrote:
I dont understand what is wrong with option E. Sure the meaning is completely different. But as far as I can tell, there is no grammatical error. Can you help me out with this? GMATNinja @Sajad1994 KarishmaB

The problem with (E) is that its meaning is not logical.

... but there are few books in Spanish which he will have to request from a neighboring university.

'Few' means negligible. 'I have few friends' means 'I have almost no friends.'
So use of 'few' is incorrect here. We should use 'a few' which means 'some.'

Another issue is 'books in Spanish.' It is a bit ambiguous. It could say 'Spanish books' to clarify that he needs some books written in Spanish. Or it could say 'Lord of the Rings in Spanish' which implies that Lord of the Rings was originally written in another language. Or it could say 'Spanish translations of some books' if what we want to say is that he needs Spanish translations of some books originally written in other languages. We don't know whether the books we are talking about were written originally in Spanish or they are Spanish translations. Considering that other options clarify what is meant, this option is incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
I eliminated D because I thought certain is misplaced modifier
DI Forum Moderator
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 1003
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q82 V81 DI82
GMAT 1: 430 Q31 V19
GMAT 2: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.26
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I agree with explanation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 177
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Hi!

I am a bit confused here:
Does 'comma which' modify the noun phrase 'Spanish translations of certain books'?
Why does it not modify only the noun 'books'?

If I change the sentence as follows:
except for Spanish translations of certain books, which were recommended by his professor.

In this case, does 'comma which' modify the noun 'certain books' or the 'Spanish translations'?

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts