Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618578 [30]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51445 [13]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618578 [6]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
Send PM
Re: V04-38 [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Official Solution:

Before the subprime crisis weakened the housing market, America, with its state of the art infrastructure and with multiple job opportunities for expats, had been one of the most popular destinations for foreign investment.

A. had been
B. has been
C. had been being
D. was being
E. was

Do not go by the size of this question. This is actually a very tricky question. (B), (C), (D) are clearly incorrect because they are using the incorrect tense. Most of the students are confused between the choices (A) and (E) and interestingly many don’t even consider that E) could be correct. E) is in fact the correct choice.
  1. We should use past perfect verb when we want to express an event that happened before another event in the past. However, if the meaning of the sentence clearly marks such a sequence then the use of past perfect would be considered redundant (or in other words less preferred). Such a sentence would be grammatically correct, but if you have an answer choice without the past perfect then that would be the better one.
  2. Incorrect tense
  3. Incorrect tense
  4. Incorrect tense
  5. This choice is the better of the two choices, A and E as it removes the redundancy by using only simple past tense.

Answer: E

bunnel
i thought
due to presence of 'Before the subprime crisis weakened '
had been and 'was' both seem ok here grammatically
but was is a more preferred scenario if we have a option
am i right??
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2754 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
harDill wrote:
bunnel
i thought
due to presence of 'Before the subprime crisis weakened '
had been and 'was' both seem ok here grammatically
but was is a more preferred scenario if we have a option
am i right??

Note that we do not always use the Past Perfect for earlier actions. In general, you should use Past Perfect only to clarify or emphasize a sequence of past events. The earlier event should somehow have a bearing on the context of the later event. Moreover, if the sequence is already obvious, we often do not need Past Perfect.

Right: Antonio DROVE to the store and BOUGHT some ice cream.

We already know that drove happened before bought. A sequence of verbs with the same subject does not require Past Perfect. Rather, use the Simple Past for all the verbs.

Clauses linked by and or but do not require the Past Perfect as a general rule.

Right: Laura LOCKED the deadbolt before she LEFT for work.

Likewise, we already know that locked happens before left because of the word before. The words before
and after indicate the sequence of events clearly and emphatically enough to make the use of the Past
Perfect unnecessary.

Similarly in the current sentence, the order is indicated by before and had been is a strict NO-NO.

Before the subprime crisis weakened the housing market, America, with its state of the art infrastructure and with multiple job opportunities for expats, was one of the most popular destinations for foreign investment.

The reference for the above material is in MGMAT SC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Brent had never been to an opera before last night. (specified time in the past)

The above sentence should also then use past simple, not past perfect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I am very disappointed by the quality of the SC questions, their inconsistent answer choices decision points and their explanations. For example in your expert post, you blatantly contradict yourself, giving an example in the beginning that uses "had been" with "before". Later on, you give the reader a warning to not use "had been" with "before". While I've done the whole group of 700+ SC questions, I felt more confused then before. You don't seem to have a clear understanding of the rules involved in SC, and as a result you cannot apply them in a consistent fashion. Your set of SC questions needs serious rethinking. I will not recommend anyone to study after the GMAT Club SCs.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
socratead wrote:
I am very disappointed by the quality of the SC questions, their inconsistent answer choices decision points and their explanations. For example in your expert post, you blatantly contradict yourself, giving an example in the beginning that uses "had been" with "before". Later on, you give the reader a warning to not use "had been" with "before". While I've done the whole group of 700+ SC questions, I felt more confused then before. You don't seem to have a clear understanding of the rules involved in SC, and as a result you cannot apply them in a consistent fashion. Your set of SC questions needs serious rethinking. I will not recommend anyone to study after the GMAT Club SCs.

I am not sure whether I understood your concern correctly. I do not see any issue with this question (or the OA / OE). Using past perfect along with words such as "before" and "after" is considered redundant. For this reason E is the correct answer. The same has been explained (correctly) in OE. Could you elaborate why you consider that there is a problem with this question?

P.S.: Questionable examples were cited in a subsequent post, seemingly an oversight. But conceptually both experts point at the same concept, which the subject question tests - Thus I do not see why you would consider the OA or OE confusing. The question is absolutely alright. (I have removed those two examples.)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
GPA: 4
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

this question needs some serious rethinking, as per egmat course (which I have completed) the using past perfect tense with "before" or "after" is optional it is not redudant as some person marked here.

This question needs some rethinking or the explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and I don't agree with the explanation. The past perfect tense does not make the option incorrect. Both past perfect tense and past tense can be used even if the sentence conveys the intended meaning either by using before or after.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 195
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
I think this is a high-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. because of "before",which makes it clear to realise time order, do we have to opt for E in place of A, but how can we decide which one is true in other questions? is there any obvious way to understand it is neccessary to deploy past perfect?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 150 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Why is "had been" wrong in this sentence?

Before the introduction of butterscotch flavor, chocolate had been my favorite ice-cream flavor. But, after the store started stocking butterscotch, this has now become my new favorite flavor.

What is wrong in this example? Isn't this similar to the question?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 434
Send PM
aviddd wrote:
Why is "had been" wrong in this sentence?

Before the introduction of butterscotch flavor, chocolate had been my favorite ice-cream flavor. But, after the store started stocking butterscotch, this has now become my new favorite flavor.

What is wrong in this example? Isn't this similar to the question?

'Had been' is redundant because the sentence starts with 'Before'.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
hero_with_1000_faces wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

this question needs some serious rethinking, as per egmat course (which I have completed) the using past perfect tense with "before" or "after" is optional it is not redudant as some person marked here.

This question needs some rethinking or the explanation.

Yes, I've done the egmat course as well which clearly states that using past perfect along with a sequence marker is NOT REDUNDANT. egmat There seems to be a conflict here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Nevernevergiveup wrote:
harDill wrote:

Right: Laura LOCKED the deadbolt before she LEFT for work.

[/color]

I would disagree with this analogy. In this case, the time of the action is defined (it happened right before she left) and the sentence describes single action. on the other hand, the problem says that before the crises, maybe from the beginning of time (time is not difined) ...

I think past perfect must be used here, otherwise it would not be gramatically correct.

analogy would be: before crises, Laura had never been in the US. You can not say "Laura never was in the US".

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM