Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:09 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [14]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Duke '18 (M)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6254 [1]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 557 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Send PM
Re: 740 and loving it! Thank you Gmat Club and e-gmat [#permalink]
Kudos
b2bt wrote:
Great score bro and thanks for the debrief !!!
You must be really busy with your applications but if possible please answer few of my queries (especially 1)..
1. How did you manage time? You lost about a minute during the breaks and then even spent 5 minutes on an RC. How did you finish everything on time? Did you just skipped few questions even without reading it?

Usually during my mocks I come across questions (quants or verbal) where I need to spend more 2 or 3 minutes. I'm not sure I should leave those questions, simply skip them or I should practice them (after the mock) so that I can get them right without spending time. The highest I got on MGMAT mocks is 700 (Q44 V41)

2. Did you take the real exam at Andheri, Mumbai? And did you take the 1:00 pm slot?
In that case, if you can give some insight, it would be really great (like the palm scanning part)

3. I have about a month for the exam now, how many mocks do you think I should give and in what intervals?

Here you go:

1. In my GMATPrep mocks, I was usually able to finish on time. Most of the times, much before the allotted 75 minutes got over. Hence, I had the confidence that getting through the sections won't be a problem. Having said that, you need to take stock of your situation and the question# you are on, and then take a call on whether you should spend an extra 2-3 minutes. If the tough ones are appearing earlier in the exam, it is a good thing. But also, you don't want to screw up too many tough ones and get your score down. Hence, spend an extra minute, minute and a half. But try not to go over board on the time. 5 minutes to read an RC is fine, since after 2 reads you can answer each question in about 30-45 seconds and your overall time for the 4 questions stays at max 9 minutes, which is not too bad.
However, if you are question 35 with 7-8 minutes left, you can not afford to spend 2 minutes on a question. In this situation, give it one read. Try to form an answer in your head, and then take a best guess.
For me, I noticed that for Verbal I am almost always able to eliminate at least 3 wrong choices on first glance. Hence, even guesses have a 50% chance of working.

2. I did give it at the Andheri centre. The centre itself is very small, about 12-13 machines I guess. Try to get there by 12-12:15. If the morning slots are not full, they will take you in immediately and start your exam. No nervous waiting for it to start. Follow all other guidelines posted on mba.com. Here is the video and guideline link:

https://www.mba.com/india/the-gmat-exam/ ... -tour.aspx

The Palm reader is just a small check. But every time you go out for a break or come in from a break, you need to do this. Trust me, the breaks fly by! So keep a good check on the watch present in both the test area and the waiting rooms.

3. This depends solely on what level you think you are at. A 700 on MGMAT is good. Especially a 41 in Verbal is a very good score. Try to go through as many Verbal questions as you can. If you have a full-time job, try giving at least one mock every weekend, and 2 in the last week. This gets you in the mode for the D-Day and it is usually easier to just adapt your body from memory. For Verbal, like I said, I just practiced and revised weak areas in the last 2 weeks. OG VR2 is a great tool to practice. You will be able to finish each section (SC/CR/RC) is 3 hours max.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: ISB '16
GPA: 3.07
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi, please let me know more for preparing quants well. Do you think if one practices and understands well the official material , one is prepared for quants. I have read the mgmat guides and did some question given in the book. Now i want practice. So i have started with official material.please suggest me on my approach.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Send PM
Sweety04 wrote:
Hi, please let me know more for preparing quants well. Do you think if one practices and understands well the official material , one is prepared for quants. I have read the mgmat guides and did some question given in the book. Now i want practice. So i have started with official material.please suggest me on my approach.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,
That solely depends on your level of preparation right now? Have you taken some Mock CATs? What is your average score across the mocks.

Just doing MGMAT and official questions will, in my opinion, not really suffice. Trust me when I tell you this, the actual questions on the GMAT are nothing like anything you will see. There is no identical question type. GMAC comes up with unique questions on the actual GMAT. Hence, you should look at strategies to solve questions rather than actual questions.

I suggest once you are through the material and OG questions, go through Bunuel's question lists. They are all in the Quant forum. Depending on where you are, start with a particular level and go upward when you are comfortable.

Again, I cannot stress the importance of practising different types of questions here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: ISB '16
GPA: 3.07
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
thank you for your reply. I will certainly follow your advice.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37297 posts