Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [34]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [6]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [3]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it tre [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable, which are all in fact quite possible.

(A) Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable, which are all in fact quite possible.

(B) Even though it seems correct, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable, when they are really quite possible.

(C) Though possibly correct, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable when in fact they are possible.

(D) Though the theory seems correct, its problem is that it treats as unreasonable several other explanations that are actually quite possible.

(E) The problem with the theory, which seems correct, is its treating several other explanations as unreasonable when in fact they are actually possible.

Day 15 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!

could eliminate right from the start the options which had "the problem seems correct". After that...the above mentioned in bold made me decide which one to choose.

Hope I am correct :)

Originally posted by mvictor on 28 Sep 2014, 09:59.
Last edited by mvictor on 29 Sep 2014, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Project Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it tre [#permalink]
I will vote for D.

Choice A, B, and C are modifying the problem instead of the theory. In answer choice E, the modifier is modifying the theory but the construction of the sentence is awkward.

souvik101990 wrote:
Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable, which are all in fact quite possible.

(A) Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable, which are all in fact quite possible.

(B) Even though it seems correct, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable, when they are really quite possible.

(C) Though possibly correct, the problem with the theory is that it treats several other explanations as unreasonable when in fact they are possible.

(D) Though the theory seems correct, its problem is that it treats as unreasonable several other explanations that are actually quite possible.

(E) The problem with the theory, which seems correct, is its treating several other explanations as unreasonable when in fact they are actually possible.

Day 15 Question of the Verbal Contest: Race Against the GMAT Club Timer
Please make sure to post a brief reply without revealing your solution to enter the contest!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it tre [#permalink]
Kudos
Dear AnthonyRitz IanStewart AjiteshArun VeritasPrepBrian,

What's wrong with choice E.?

I think possessive + gerund is correct on the official GMAT question shown below:
The World Wild life Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

One immediate problem with E is that it's just horrible writing. "The problem with the theory is that it treats some explanations..." is almost infinitely preferable to "The problem with the theory is its treating some explanations..." The first is active and clear, while the second is passive and awkward. There's no reason to consider E here unless there are no other good options. There are other problems with E, but you can rule it out on that basis alone, since a better option exists.

In general, the right answer to GMAT SC questions will express the sentence's meaning in the clearest possible way. If you read an answer choice, and can imagine a clearer way to express the idea of the sentence, that answer choice is almost never going to be right. This is one of the issues with studying prep company questions -- even the right answer to prep company questions can often be improved upon. I find that to be the case in this question, though D is much better than every other choice.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
There are other problems with E

Dear IanStewart,

The other problem you mentioned is the use of "when" right?

"when" should be a time indicator, which is incorrectly used here, right?

(Please pardon me for asking so many questions :-D )
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [2]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
The other problem you mentioned is the use of "when" right?

"when" should be a time indicator, which is incorrectly used here, right?

No, definitely not -- "when" can be used in a lot of different ways in English, and not only as a time indicator. You can look the word up in any decent dictionary to see examples of that.

There is a subtle meaning problem with the use of "seems". That word can be used in two ways. It can mean "appears to be". If I say "that seems right", I'm saying "that appears to me to be right". But it can also mean "superficially appears to be, but actually is not". If I say

"Though the solution seems right, it contains several disastrous mathematical errors"

I'm saying "on the surface, the solution looks good, but in reality it's not -- there are serious problems with it".

Instead if I say

"The solution seems right, though it contains several disastrous mathematical errors"

the meaning is changed. I'm now saying that the solution does appear correct to me despite the disastrous errors it contains. That meaning doesn't seem logical to me in this sentence, and the same happens in answer E. Answer E is saying the theory seems to be correct, even though it has serious problems. The right answer, D, uses "seem" in the other sense, to mean "appears to be but isn't", because it uses the construction "Though the theory seems correct". That meaning makes more sense if the sentence is pointing out serious problems with the theory.

All that said, that's not the main reason to choose D over E. The writing in E is so bad you should never consider it as an answer choice.
Stacy Blackman Consulting Director of Test Prep
Affiliations: Stacy Blackman Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [3]
Given Kudos: 165
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.11
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Correct though it may seem, the problem with the theory is that it tre [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
varotkorn wrote:
Dear AnthonyRitz IanStewart AjiteshArun VeritasPrepBrian,

I think possessive + gerund is correct on the official GMAT question shown below:
The World Wild life Fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the environment in ways harmful to their habitats.

There are several problems with E.

First of all, the beginning of the sentence, "The problem with the theory, which seems correct," lacks any clear indicator of the contrast that logically exists between the idea that the theory "seems correct" and the idea that there is actually a "problem with the theory." This is a bit illogical. (The correct answer sets up the contrast by using "though.")

Second of all, certain words in English tend to be used in their gerund form, whereas others tend to be used in their noun form (and some words do both, and many do one form to mean one thing but the other form to mean something slightly different). "treating" is not the form we generally use when we wish to present "to treat" as a noun-like substance. Instead, we want "treatment" in most cases. Note that I don't suggest memorizing lists of which words do what, but it is an error here, so I wanted to mention it. Don't worry; there's still even another error to rely on instead of this one.

Oh, and to take your official GMAT example, we usually use the gerund "burning" rather than the noun "burn" for most senses in which we might wish to cast "to burn" as a noun-like substance. So that case was correct, but our case is not.

Finally, back to logic, now at the end of the sentence: "treating several other explanations as unreasonable when in fact they are actually possible." Why is this a "problem with the theory"? It is quite believable that an explanation might be "possible" but still "unreasonable." Contrast this with the correct answer, which uses the stronger "quite possible" to more convincingly explain why it's a "problem" to deem these other theories "unreasonable." So E is less logical in this way as well.

P.s. Are "in fact" and "actually" slightly redundant? I would never lean on it as a primary reason for killing an answer choice, but they may be. At least they're not ideal.

P.p.s. Several earlier commenters claimed that the use of "when" in this answer is a problem because it's not describing a time. This is actually not a problem. The word "when" can also act as a synonym for "although" or "whereas" or "considering that."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
AnthonyRitz wrote:
Finally, back to logic, now at the end of the sentence: "treating several other explanations as unreasonable when in fact they are actually possible." Why is this a "problem with the theory"? It is quite believable that an explanation might be "possible" but still "unreasonable." Contrast this with the correct answer, which uses the stronger "quite possible" to more convincingly explain why it's a "problem" to deem these other theories "unreasonable." So E is less logical in this way as well.

Dear AnthonyRitz,

Admittedly, at first I thought "quite possible" is softer than "possible"

However, after going through possible meanings of "quite" (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dic ... tish/quite), I've just known that there are 2 meanings:
1. very -> the sense brought up by you
2. fairly but not very -> the only sense I knew

Those 2 meanings seem contradictory to me. One is "VERY", the other is "fairly but NOT VERY"?
Do you have any ideas how to interpret which is the proper meaning from the two?
Attachments

quite = very.PNG
quite = very.PNG [ 15.2 KiB | Viewed 6642 times ]

quite = fairly but not very.PNG
quite = fairly but not very.PNG [ 29.3 KiB | Viewed 6657 times ]

Own Kudos [?]: 393 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
varotkorn wrote:
AnthonyRitz wrote:

Dear AnthonyRitz,

Admittedly, at first I thought "quite possible" is softer than "possible"

However, after going through possible meanings of "quite" (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dic ... tish/quite), I've just known that there are 2 meanings:
1. very -> the sense brought up by you
2. fairly but not very -> the only sense I knew

Those 2 meanings seem contradictory to me. One is "VERY", the other is "fairly but NOT VERY"?
Do you have any ideas how to interpret which is the proper meaning from the two?

I'm sorry but I have never heard of and don't agree with -- would never use and would understand a usage as being -- that second definition of "quite." I think your dictionary is just flat wrong at least as far as American English is concerned. Even in its example sentences, "quite" means "very" to me -- if you told me you were "quite tired" I'd gather you were "very tired"; if you told me "the dog was quite badly injured" I would worry for the "very badly injured" dog's well-being. (How could it even be "a little badly injured"? Isn't "a little badly" kind of a contradiction in terms?) I do think there's a sense in which "quite" is less than "totally" or "completely," but that's still nothing like saying that it means "not very."

Here are two dictionaries I absolutely do trust, on the subject:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quite
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/quite

If indeed this is a word that means something wildly different in the English spoken elsewhere in the world, the official GMAT would avoid it so as not to cause confusion. GMAC itself runs a number of checks against international English-language idiom to make sure that there is no cultural bias in the test.

But to my mind, "quite" = "very," and it's probably best to assume that, like me, many or most of the companies that author Sentence Correction questions that end up in these forums are doing so with American English in mind.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [1]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AnthonyRitz wrote:
I'm sorry but I have never heard of and don't agree with -- would never use and would understand a usage as being -- that second definition of "quite."

That usage is extremely common in British English, and I believe in Canadian English too (since I lived in the UK for a long time, I can't always be sure). It's the more familiar usage to me. But I'm not American, and the GMAT is, so if "quite" means "very" to US speakers, that's what it means on the test. Still, I'd be surprised if the GMAT ever used the word just because it means different things to people from different places.

That said, I don't think the phrase "quite possible" in answer D improves the logic of the sentence. Possibility, like uniqueness, is a binary condition; things are either possible or they're not, just as they're either unique or they're not. Things can't be "quite possible" or "very possible" or "quite unique" or "very unique". The word "possible" already encompasses the idea that something might be likely, and if a sentence is trying to convey the idea that something is probable, and not merely possible, there are words in English that can precisely convey that meaning. The usage note at the bottom of this page elaborates on this: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/possible

So on the real GMAT, I'd be confident I could rule out any SC answer chance that used the phrase "quite possible" or "very possible". I wouldn't feel confident doing that on a prep company question, since prep companies generally (without exception, as best I can tell) don't match the standard of writing of the real GMAT.
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]

Send PM
IanStewart wrote:
AnthonyRitz wrote:
I'm sorry but I have never heard of and don't agree with -- would never use and would understand a usage as being -- that second definition of "quite."

That usage is extremely common in British English, and I believe in Canadian English too (since I lived in the UK for a long time, I can't always be sure). It's the more familiar usage to me. But I'm not American, and the GMAT is, so if "quite" means "very" to US speakers, that's what it means on the test. Still, I'd be surprised if the GMAT ever used the word just because it means different things to people from different places.

That said, I don't think the phrase "quite possible" in answer D improves the logic of the sentence. Possibility, like uniqueness, is a binary condition; things are either possible or they're not, just as they're either unique or they're not. Things can't be "quite possible" or "very possible" or "quite unique" or "very unique". The word "possible" already encompasses the idea that something might be likely, and if a sentence is trying to convey the idea that something is probable, and not merely possible, there are words in English that can precisely convey that meaning. The usage note at the bottom of this page elaborates on this: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/possible

So on the real GMAT, I'd be confident I could rule out any SC answer chance that used the phrase "quite possible" or "very possible". I wouldn't feel confident doing that on a prep company question, since prep companies generally (without exception, as best I can tell) don't match the standard of writing of the real GMAT.

The dictionary says this sense of "quite" is a British thing and not common in North America, so perhaps it's not big in Canada. I don't know. Either way, I agree that if this question was really so ambiguous in British English then the real GMAT would avoid it.

I disagree, though, about whether things can logically be "quite possible," or whether "quite possible" improves the sentence in American English.

No less an authority of American English grammar than the New York Times included the adjectival version "quite possibly" in an article title as recently as 2018 --and in article bodies many more times. There are 28,000,000 Google results for either "quite possible" or "quite possibly" (and 4.5 million more for "very possible"), and, even though I cannot find a single grammar resource other than the one you cited that directly discusses the phrase (I'd speculate that this is because the phrase is simply uncontroversially correct in the eyes of many), I did find the phrase used by some of these same grammarians, without further comment. I recognize that Collins English Dictionary disagrees (the note at the bottom of the link you sent). I don't think all of the authorities do. The only grammar-forum comment thread I could find on "very possible," by the way, deemed it correct.

Perhaps it's idiomatic, but I'd say that "quite possible" indicates a subset of what merely "possible" does -- the latter suggests anything above 0%, but "quite possible" would look askance at the bare minimum -- it suggests, to me, something that is significantly above 0% and in fact "plausible" (and yes, old-school grammar sticklers may insist that "plausible" only applies to things that are not actually true, but I'm not on that train either). This is not the same as "probable" or "likely," both of which indicate "over 50%"; I think that "quite possible" is weaker and suggests perhaps still below 50%.

Probably the real GMAT won't use any of these phrases, as the test abhors ambiguity and lack of consensus, but, if they somehow did show up, I think ruling out an SC answer choice that used the phrase "quite possible" or "very possible" -- even on the real GMAT -- would be a terrible idea. I would hope that we could agree that this sort of navel-gazing falls squarely under the heading of "bigger fish to fry."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts