Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [5]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.97
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.97
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Tuck First-Year: Ask Me Anything [#permalink]
Kudos
Ok...now I kind of wish you hadn't responded. I'm going to be doubly-bummed if I don't get in!

Thank you for all the great info! Enjoy the rest of your first year!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Following up on the dorms....

(1) do they have rooms larger than a studio? I've tried looking online multiple times but I can't find a lot of information on the dorms
(2) do they allow small pets (i.e. cats)?

I haven't lived in a dorm for 10 years. The thought of going back kind of scares me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
I came across some info regarding boarding. Most of the FYs get dorms, on the contrary most of the SYs stay off campus. There's a lottery for getting assigned a dorm (not first-come-first-served thingy), which is cool.
But no one ever talked about the size and facilities of a dorm... Would be great to have some advice here .. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bml1105 wrote:

(1) do they have rooms larger than a studio? I've tried looking online multiple times but I can't find a lot of information on the dorms

I haven't lived in a dorm for 10 years. The thought of going back kind of scares me!

Happy to help. The dorms themselves are studios (all have en-suite bathrooms), but they are quite large and most have new sleep number beds. Additionally, I don't know anyone in the dorms who has a pet, but a ton of people who live in Sachem or in off-campus housing have dogs and cats, so if you do have a cat there are options housing-wise.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
neo656 wrote:
I came across some info regarding boarding. Most of the FYs get dorms, on the contrary most of the SYs stay off campus. There's a lottery for getting assigned a dorm (not first-come-first-served thingy), which is cool.
But no one ever talked about the size and facilities of a dorm... Would be great to have some advice here .. :)

Just to clarify, all second years live off campus. We have a number of houses which have been passed down through the Tuck family for years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

Happy to help. The dorms themselves are studios (all have en-suite bathrooms), but they are quite large and most have new sleep number beds. Additionally, I don't know anyone in the dorms who has a pet, but a ton of people who live in Sachem or in off-campus housing have dogs and cats, so if you do have a cat there are options housing-wise.

How does cooking work? I assume there is a shared kitchen area or something. I'm a big meat, rice, veg every night guy, and I was wondering if its a pain to try and cook most nights. What does everyone usually do for food?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Send PM
Hello Flyte,
Nice of you to be available.

1. How is On-campus placement scenario at tuck?
2. Does Career Development Cell help in finding summer internships?
3. What percentage of current students did look for offers post graduation?

Above questions are mainly on career options.I would like to also know about clubs at Tuck.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Send PM
1. Don't really know what you mean by this... If you are asking about placement, it is 91% at Graduation and 98% three months after graduation...Tuck is the #1 MBA program in the country for placement.

2. The CDO or Career Development Office arranges all on-campus interview. The vast majority of people recruit on-campus.

3. See #1.

Please let me know if you have specific questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Send PM
Cubsfan87 wrote:
Flyte wrote:
bml1105 wrote:

How does cooking work? I assume there is a shared kitchen area or something. I'm a big meat, rice, veg every night guy, and I was wondering if its a pain to try and cook most nights. What does everyone usually do for food?

There are loads of shared kitchens, so many people cook, but there is also Byrne which has a salad bar, deli, and grill to order from.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Flyte,

Thanks for doing this. Would you say the budgeted costs are pretty accurate on what is listed on the Tuck site? I just want to make sure I take enough loans out to cover all the necessary items.

In addition, for the category Misc. and Health Expenses, how much of this do you think is allocated to dining out and groceries?

Lastly, for various activities such as Global Insight Expeditions, if we are chosen to partake in an international trip, do these costs come all out of pocket or does Tuck support us somewhat financially in these opportunities?

Thanks for your help.
Bob Jones Lee
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Flyte wrote:
neo656 wrote:

Just to clarify, all second years live off campus. We have a number of houses which have been passed down through the Tuck family for years.

Thank you so much for doing AMA!
Can FY's choose to live off campus(no partners coming to school together)? If so, will it be inconvenient to involve with other students and attend social activities? How big is the price difference between dorm and off-campus housing?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
brownie615 wrote:
Flyte wrote:
neo656 wrote:

Can FY's choose to live off campus(no partners coming to school together)? If so, will it be inconvenient to involve with other students and attend social activities? How big is the price difference between dorm and off-campus housing?

Another first year here so I am happy to jump in and answer your question. You can absolutely choose to live off campus. Some people who choose to do that because they have pets they want to bring or wanted more space etc. It is not really that inconvenient because you are two options:

1) Find a small group of fellow students and live with them. There are quite a few large houses available in the local area. Typically you will be able to bond with these housemates and it would not impede social activities.

2) Find a 1-bed/studio apartment. Again there are options available and it does not impede on the social side either. You will have the benefit of having your own space and being able to decompress when you get home!

As for pricing, it is varied but the dorm is not particularly cheap so I would not imagine there would be a significant price differential. Obviously having your own 1-bed/studio apartment would probably be more expensive versus sharing a house with classmates.
Current Student
Send PM
bobjoneslee wrote:
Hi Flyte,

Thanks for doing this. Would you say the budgeted costs are pretty accurate on what is listed on the Tuck site? I just want to make sure I take enough loans out to cover all the necessary items.

In addition, for the category Misc. and Health Expenses, how much of this do you think is allocated to dining out and groceries?

Lastly, for various activities such as Global Insight Expeditions, if we are chosen to partake in an international trip, do these costs come all out of pocket or does Tuck support us somewhat financially in these opportunities?

Thanks for your help.
Bob Jones Lee

I would say generally it is fairly accurate. To be on the safe side (and this goes for all b-school budgets) I would allot an additional 10% on top of the budget.

I can't say exactly but for each term we have a specific amount of money that is allocated to credits for the dining hall. I live on campus so I don't dine out a huge amount, mostly during the weekend when the dining hall is closed. As for groceries, I spend very little on that front.

For the Global Insight Expeditions, I think the costs will be covered by your own funds. You are eligible to use loans to cover that though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
What's finance recruiting at Tuck like?
From some of the publicly available information, I was able to gather that at Yale, about 40 people interviewed for IB internships, and 36 seem to have received an offer. Any idea what the numbers are like at Tuck? (by and large, i feel like total % of people who end up in a certain field are not great indicators because of self-selection, etc....)

also, how much pong do Tuckies play? At Tuck or at one of the undergrad houses? (and as an extension, how do Tuckies who had also gone to Dartmouth for undergrad enjoying it?)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Just another quick question. I am slowly starting to plan how I will spend my rest of the year before I start Bschool and may be traveling in and out of the country. With this, I was wondering as to whether Tuck partakes in a background check for admitted students and what the process looks like (depth/time period it takes). Also, do they let you know when your background check cleared?

Thanks,
Bobjoneslee
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
domotron wrote:
brownie615 wrote:
Flyte wrote:

Another first year here so I am happy to jump in and answer your question. You can absolutely choose to live off campus. Some people who choose to do that because they have pets they want to bring or wanted more space etc. It is not really that inconvenient because you are two options:

1) Find a small group of fellow students and live with them. There are quite a few large houses available in the local area. Typically you will be able to bond with these housemates and it would not impede social activities.

2) Find a 1-bed/studio apartment. Again there are options available and it does not impede on the social side either. You will have the benefit of having your own space and being able to decompress when you get home!

As for pricing, it is varied but the dorm is not particularly cheap so I would not imagine there would be a significant price differential. Obviously having your own 1-bed/studio apartment would probably be more expensive versus sharing a house with classmates.

Thank you very much for the information. It is very helpful.

Just a follow-up question though - what is the best resource to find /where can I find the houses that Tuck family pass down? I'm thinking about finding a roommate and start looking for off-campus houses because I do love to cook sometimes and need more private space at times. Contact Dartmouth off-campus housing office? Craigslist? If you could share some resources that would great! Thanks again!
Current Student
Send PM
brownie615 wrote:
Thank you very much for the information. It is very helpful.

Just a follow-up question though - what is the best resource to find /where can I find the houses that Tuck family pass down? I'm thinking about finding a roommate and start looking for off-campus houses because I do love to cook sometimes and need more private space at times. Contact Dartmouth off-campus housing office? Craigslist? If you could share some resources that would great! Thanks again!

Not a problem. I am not sure whether it is live but there was a bunch of great resources in Class of 2016 website. I am sure it will be the same for Class of 2017. At some point there will be a google doc that comprise of the houses that are passed down as well as other resources.

I wouldn't start this early at all because frankly you have lots of time. Also the supply of rental places also depend on how many 1st years choose to live in those houses vacated by 2nd years (we are just starting that process ourselves). Most of people found housemates through the Class of 2016 facebook group. Since there will only be EA round people on there at the moment, it may be a bit sparse. Inevitably some people will also drop off that group, so I would wait until after the November round or even the January round find out before looking for options/housemates.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts