Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: LBS MIF '16
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q165 V161
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Re: London Business School: MIF 2015 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
edited

Originally posted by lucifer87 on 03 Oct 2014, 23:44.
Last edited by lucifer87 on 20 Nov 2014, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello and Welcome to all applicants applying to LBS MIF program for 2015 Intake (Class of 2017). We have posted applicants stat tables in the first post; Thanks to lucifer87 for reaching out to us to update the first post with applicant stats. We have also connected LBS MiF Admissions and Student blogs to this thread, so that members can get all the blog updates right here.

Good Luck to all MiF applicants!! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: A view from the top
Meet Imran Changezi, EMBA 2009. Hotel Manager at Jumeirah Emirates Towers. Read his fascinating story, in which he explains how hard work and determination allowed him to transform his career from front desk clerk to becoming a leading member of one of the world’s most luxurious hotel brands. “Believe me, I tried applying almost everything […]

Read the rest of this entry...
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Admissions Blog: Meet the Recruitment and Admissions Team in October
What you need to know about London Business School? London, one of the strongest European economies, adds a global perspective to your business education experience which will serve you well no matter where your career takes you.  London Business School is consistently ranked as one of the top business schools in the world, with students […]

Read the rest of this entry...
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: Rockruiting party
My second gig in London ended up beautifully last Saturday. All the imperfection made the night memorable and who knows where the next gig will be? We can only seize the moments.

Sentimental aside, the name of the event came from the “rock” and “recruiting” in a Frankenstein style. Right now is the most anxious season for all the MBA students. People try to secure a summer of doing something. So called recruiting season, which is sad but true. As a MiF I am more relaxed compared with the majority. I am really focus on what I want to do and I know it takes time. Gig is the priority.

My band is called “the Bites”. The inspiration came from the quick eatery called “the bite” down the Plowden. Why? It was just right for us; a bit unbounded, relax, and LBS-related! We are formed by 4 people met at the Music Club jam session last summer. We hit on immediately. We love blue-rooted rock, we like a bit punk, but the older generation sorts, we love dazzling solos, and we love classic rock. Most importantly, I love the Bites!

Elia is the singer-cum-soloist while few people know that he plays guitar before. He is a rugby-guy-disguised-rocker and a gem. He loves music so much that you can feel his soul when he sings. Besides, he plays Robben Ford!

Nacho knows music and enjoys them. He is a born musician by any measure, especially the Guitar Hero on Xbox. He became the true guitar hero on stage, singing and playing at the same time. His classic hit is “I Believe a Thing Called Love” by the Darkness. No one I know can sing that tune but he nailed it! Just incredible.

Chiani is the lady drummer. She is so lazy but you will still forgive her as she will deliver the performance at the last minutes. We won’t be here without her pulling the Bites together. She’s also the most unrecognizable drummer by appearance, especially with curly hair now.

Our setlist goes like this if you are ever wondered: Gold on the Ceiling, All Right Now, Times Like These, My Own Worst Enemy, I Believe a Thing Called Love, Maybe Tomorrow, Bohemian Like You, Surfing USA, Basket Case, Joker, I Wanna be Sedated, Don’t Matter, Song 2, All Along The Watchtower, Chelsea Dagger, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Should I Stay or Should I Go.

Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: Business is only touching on the tech revolution
Businesses in Britain and across the world are only just beginning to touch on the impact technology is having on operations, routes to market, and how leaders behave. This year’s Global Leadership Summit focused on “Generation Tech”; a broad and deep subject matter that touched upon the multi-faceted way technology is impacting businesses, societies and individuals.

One of the key takeaways I got was that business needs to be agile in adopting the latest shifts in technology in order to be more responsive to consumers. Technology can often be seen as a disruptor to the established order of things and this can breed a resistance to change. Companies that fail to change are doomed to failure. Paraphrasing LBS Professor Gary Hamel, “CEOs who are personally resistant to change fail their employees, shareholders and customers”.

Therefore, it is imperative that companies from various sectors be agile in adopting the shifting sands of technology. This does not mean a “technology first” approach but rather using technological gains as part of a business leader’s toolkit. As Royston Seaward, Partner at Deloitte said, “organisations think too much about their product and not enough about how their customers want to use that product”. So beware: don’t put the cart before the horse!

Business leaders who are in service industries are only now waking up to the immense power big data and the analysis that comes from that can be used in providing personalised services for their customers. Those who are at the vanguard of this create a competitive advantage for their businesses. What it takes is for the combination of available technology and old-fashioned intuition and risk-taking.

The businesses that will be successful in the future are those who are agile enough to see where the power rests in their sectors and then utilising the right “toolkit” to take advantage of this. Professor Julian Birkinshaw was particularly persuasive in identifying the changes in the computing and car manufacturing sectors over the last few decades and how easily it can be for today’s established companies to be tomorrow’s minnows. Business leaders need to take a macro view of their sector and identify where the particular points are in the value chain that control the most power: influence, bargaining etc, and how they can bring the resources at their disposable to take advantage of these areas.

The final point I want to bring up is the impact GenY will have on businesses. This generation is the first that has been brought up with emerging technology and a globalised marketplace where the tyranny of distance has been defeated by the ease of the internet. GenY employees (and future leaders) are more flexible and place greater emphasis on corporate missions than Baby Boomers or GenX. The challenge for GenY is how to take this inherent risk-tolerance and combine it with the steely resolve needed to be successful business leaders. The future of business will be ‘mission-first’ with a greater emphasis on their purpose and product generation than quarterly results. This means how we picture business leaders will need to shift: if you are an existing business leader you must recognise than a GenY rival is more prepared to use (social) media to promote their mission and to quickly build up brand awareness. So don’t be complacent!

London Business School’s Global Leadership Summit was an outstanding success and demonstrates the power of having in one room academic, business and social leaders bouncing around ideas and views with each other. Businesses are facing increasing strains from diverging social, technological and demographic trends so this year’s summit was particularly important to creating the right framework to approach “Generation Tech”. I am certain that next year’s summit will be just as interesting as this one!

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Moved the thread into the LBS sub-forum to help with finding the discussion.
Good luck to all applying!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Thanks Narenn and BB :)

Narenn wrote:
Hello and Welcome to all applicants applying to LBS MIF program for 2015 Intake (Class of 2017). We have posted applicants stat tables in the first post; Thanks to lucifer87 for reaching out to us to update the first post with applicant stats. We have also connected LBS MiF Admissions and Student blogs to this thread, so that members can get all the blog updates right here.

Good Luck to all MiF applicants!! :)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply

LBS MiF Deadlines.

(Also displayed in First post)
Attachment:
LBS_MiF_Deadlines.png
LBS_MiF_Deadlines.png [ 7.87 KiB | Viewed 12250 times ]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GPA: 2.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Hi, Anyone got an interview invite yet?

I applied in R1. My profile:

BBA and MBA from state university
CFA Charterholder, FRM Certification
GMAT 650
~8 years work-ex at matriculation
Currently working in a leading Stock Exchange in Listed Securities Division
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM LBS MiF Students Blog: Location Matters
If you have come across any of LBS’ myriad of web banners, sponsored links, magazine ads (and I am sure you have, what else could have led you to this post?), you must have realized that we are pretty proud of our prime location in London, and we make rather intensive use of it in our marketing. In fact, the title of this blog post is more or less taken straight from a slide in the presentation deck we used in information sessions for prospective students. Does that make this entire post of mine entirely repetitive, therefore a waste of time? I hope not, because when our Admissions Team mention London, they usually make it synonymous with “job opportunities“, “leading financial institutions“, “world’s biggest companies“, and of course, they are absolutely right, but personally when I think London, I tend to think more of “an awesome place to live“. So, as an amateur photographer who is attracted to all things pretty, and an aspiring living contradiction to the general perception that the LBS Masters in Finance is all about numbers and figures, I’d like to present to you 10 photos from my London collection, in the hope to convince you that it’s worthy to come to LBS, not just for working the job, but also for living the life.

First, as a matter of fact, there is the school itself, which is quite breathtakingly beautiful:

Here’s my view whilst studying in the Nash garden:

Then there are the classics, Eye, Bridge, Tower:

That picture of the Tower of London was color edited,  obviously, but the sweeping mass of poppies are 100% real. Those poppies belong to an ongoing display at the Tower to commemorate the outbreak of the First World War. In London, there are plenty of chances for that, you know, to be impressed and to take a picture and edit it to impress your friends at home. Or you can also easily ask someone to take a picture of you and tweak it a bit to make it look like you are in the middle of a classic movie, because London is just convenient like that. This is me at Piccadilly Circus, for example:

There are also nice, little known things that just happened to catch your eyes, like this wall of wine-red vines that I came across on my way to Greenwich Park:

Talk about Greenwich, if you’re in the area, definitely do NOT miss out on visiting the Old Royal Naval College. I was there last month and was treated to a very interesting (and totally free) performance featuring the renowned diarist Samuel Pepys.

Now that we mention diaries and such, you guys should be aware that London is a heaven for book lovers. Fact: Waterstone’s Piccadilly is Europe’s largest bookshop.

I went there last weekend, spent 3 hours and a considerable amount of pound sterling, and I fully plan to go back next week, because, well:

The very same could be said for London, you will never reach the end of this city, so let’s get to exploring as soon and as much as possible, shall we?

I will see you at our starting point, the LBS campus, Regent’s Park, London NW1 4SA.

P.S. Do contact me at any time if you have burning questions regarding the where to go and what to see around London.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.24
Send PM
Anyone here? so quiet
Intern
Intern