Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Ding for me.

Out of curiosity..Any engineers working in the industry get an invite?

My stats: 26 M/730/ Graduated First class/ 3+ years in the construction industry.

I always knew HBS was such a long shot but the first ding has rattled my confidence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
ZoSoKM wrote:
Ding for me.

My stats: 26 M/730/ Graduated First class/ 3+ years in the construction industry.

I always knew HBS was such a long shot but the first ding has rattled my confidence.

I am an Industrial Engineer but I am working in Consulting, and got an invite.

My stats: 26 M/730/International/ Graduated Top 1% in class / 2 years in the consulting industry
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
LexLuthor wrote:

My stats: 26 M/730/International/ Graduated Top 1% in class / 2 years in the consulting industry

Thanks LexLuthor- hmm, consulting traditionally feeds into business schools - Guess I'm more looking to see whether a lot of engineers in industries apart from tech have much success. Thought I had decent stats but perhaps my essays didn't quite cut the mustard..
VP
VP
Send PM
ZoSoKM wrote:
LexLuthor wrote:

Thanks LexLuthor- hmm, consulting traditionally feeds into business schools - Guess I'm more looking to see whether a lot of engineers in industries apart from tech have much success. Thought I had decent stats but perhaps my essays didn't quite cut the mustard..

Engineering and consulting is the right combination for HBS especially if you have a good gpa
PE guys too
Finance, manufacturing and others are in the ding zone
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Thurston wrote:
Run4Fun wrote:
Thurston wrote:
Did anyone in the military get a R1 interview invite from HBS?

Yes, I did.

Posted from my mobile device

Would you mind if I ask what your stats are? Are you applying to a joint program?

Not at all.

710 GMAT, 3.81 GPA, no joint program, only applying to the MBA program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
ZoSoKM wrote:
LexLuthor wrote:

Engineering and consulting is the right combination for HBS especially if you have a good gpa
PE guys too
Finance, manufacturing and others are in the ding zone

What exactly is the difference between engineering and manufacturing in the eyes of the adcom? All engineers work for a manufacturer of some sort. Unless I misunderstood your post and you meant STEM degree + Consulting?
VP
VP
Send PM
Yup, STEM degree is what I really meant, it isn't really too hard to tell who has a real shot and who needs a lot of luck
But anyways, screw it, the case method only works for certain type of profiles
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Kudos
@
jlgdr wrote:
Yup, STEM degree is what I really meant, it isn't really too hard to tell who has a real shot and who needs a lot of luck
But anyways, screw it, the case method only works for certain type of profiles

Well, jlgdr, it worked for Pat Bateman -- murders and executions!
Ding, btw.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
ZoSoKM wrote:
Ding for me.

I have 3+ yrs in construction industry. Got a ding.

I think what did me in was unknown employer brand and non-IIT education.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V39
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
mrsandoo617 wrote:
cyberbg wrote:
Dinged.
Looking at the backgrounds of everyone on this thread, I wonder who gets in...

Good question, but looking at the stats for a lot of the dings...I can't say I am surprised.

I've had several reputable consultants tell me even with my 3.7 / 740, I would be a reach. :shock:

And why is that? What were you missing? Brand employer? Extracurriculars?

I think HSW are reach for everyone. I am reading Ding report from Quants and Poets now. Make me feel much better as there are guys with celestial high profile got dinged. :D

Keep on the fight, guys...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
cyberbg wrote:
Dinged.

I got an invite - I think it's due to the peculiarity of my background: 740 GMAT / 3.99 GPA / Italian living in London / 6-year commercial role at a major record company / recording musician / lots of extracurriculars

I'd like to honestly wish all the best to all the candidates that didn't move on to the interview - it could have been me at your place, and I was ready for the ding.

I hope you'll get your other top choice. Well done anyway guys!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
NandoParrado wrote:
cyberbg wrote:
Dinged.

I got an invite - I think it's due to the peculiarity of my background: 740 GMAT / 3.99 GPA / Italian living in London / 6-year commercial role at a major record company / recording musician / lots of extracurriculars

I'd like to honestly wish all the best to all the candidates that didn't move on to the interview - it could have been me at your place, and I was ready for the ding.

That's great! Honestly these posts make me feel better about the whole process. You obviously have some strong numbers and an interesting background, it is great you are getting a shot. Not everybody needs PE/IB/Consulting experience.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
NandoParrado wrote:
cyberbg wrote:
Dinged.

Commercial role at a major record company? Sounds very interesting!!! If I get admitted I hope to be your classmate!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.03
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM