Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:17 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [8]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Operations
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Real Estate
GPA: 3.56
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Re: Marshall (USC) Class of 2017 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Check out the latest information on Marshall's new building in the works for 2016:

https://www.marshall.usc.edu/about/capital-projects/fertitta-hall

Fight on!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q162 V164
Send PM
Bookmarks
Just wanted to share my experience with my visit to Marshall. First and foremost, coming into this experience, I have been really high on Marshall.

Met with Marshall a few weeks ago, was kind of unimpressed which was really disappointing given everything I'd heard about the school from my many friends who have attended.

The whole experience left me with a bad vibe, their admissions office has been difficult to get a hold of. I'd heard that their admissions staff (as well as careers staff) had experienced a lot of turnover. I'd hoped that it wouldn't have an impact, but it was difficult to schedule a class visit, many emails went unreturned which was a bad first impression. It seems like they're a bit disorganized.

Consequently, eventually I visited the campus. The student guide I had was really cool, but also had some frank thinks to say about the admissions and careers office. Apparently their head career guy quit, kinda looks like some trouble might be on the horizon there.

My one major takeaway was that USC definitely has a swagger. I'm not sure its justified. With big turnover in careers and admissions offices, and dropping in the rankings the last few years and being somewhat disorganized they definitely aren't the top 10 school that they seem to think they seem to act like they are. My information session was more about telling me how great USC was than it was about explaining to me more about the school and how it might fit my career goals. Meanwhile, they can't even respond to emails promptly, so I'm not sure how they justified that stance.

Anyway, the school really seems to be in denial of some issues which were plainly obvious, and did nothing to even acknowledge the declines in rankings, or problems that they have, and consequently did nothing to assuage the concerns people might have.

Anyway, all and all I wanted to love USC and was just let down, I don't even know what to think anymore.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
rbsx wrote:
Just wanted to share my experience with my visit to Marshall. First and foremost, coming into this experience, I have been really high on Marshall.

Met with Marshall a few weeks ago, was kind of unimpressed which was really disappointing given everything I'd heard about the school from my many friends who have attended.

The whole experience left me with a bad vibe, their admissions office has been difficult to get a hold of. I'd heard that their admissions staff (as well as careers staff) had experienced a lot of turnover. I'd hoped that it wouldn't have an impact, but it was difficult to schedule a class visit, many emails went unreturned which was a bad first impression. It seems like they're a bit disorganized.

Consequently, eventually I visited the campus. The student guide I had was really cool, but also had some frank thinks to say about the admissions and careers office. Apparently their head career guy quit, kinda looks like some trouble might be on the horizon there.

My one major takeaway was that USC definitely has a swagger. I'm not sure its justified. With big turnover in careers and admissions offices, and dropping in the rankings the last few years and being somewhat disorganized they definitely aren't the top 10 school that they seem to think they seem to act like they are. My information session was more about telling me how great USC was than it was about explaining to me more about the school and how it might fit my career goals. Meanwhile, they can't even respond to emails promptly, so I'm not sure how they justified that stance.

Anyway, the school really seems to be in denial of some issues which were plainly obvious, and did nothing to even acknowledge the declines in rankings, or problems that they have, and consequently did nothing to assuage the concerns people might have.

Anyway, all and all I wanted to love USC and was just let down, I don't even know what to think anymore.

It sure looks like they need to get rid of some people to stop the bleeding and get on solid footing..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
MikeMBA wrote:
rbsx wrote:

It sure looks like they need to get rid of some people to stop the bleeding and get on solid footing..

Before you can fix a problem you have to admit it exists. I think that's part of the reason why I was so taken aback. One of my friends was quite candid about the issue, he clearly acknowledged that there were some problems there. It appears the school, on the other hand, doesn't think that there is.

Statistics indicate otherwise, with employment at graduation and three months out still the lowest amongst top 30 ranked schools. 2 years ago, only 77% of graduates had jobs three months out, significantly below their peers.

Oh and by the way, their entire admissions office right now is only five people.

Nonetheless, they still seem to think they're hot to trot. Maybe I'm just being a bit critical because it's my job to assess situations, but I couldn't really believe what I was hearing.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
When they were asked on the employment issue, they said they have full employment after 6 months. They blamed it on hiring times of some local firms who hire later in the year. I guess not enough students are complaining about it to get the changes needed. That's what I'm thinking, the same dean is still there.

https://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba/admissions/profile According to their website they only had 1648 applicants which is why they only have 5 people but that seems low. I assume the faculty participates in the admissions as well as the dean??

Are there any school reps here on this forum that could answer anything??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MikeMBA wrote:
When they were asked on the employment issue, they said they have full employment after 6 months. They blamed it on hiring times of some local firms who hire later in the year. I guess not enough students are complaining about it to get the changes needed. That's what I'm thinking, the same dean is still there.

https://www.marshall.usc.edu/mba/admissions/profile According to their website they only had 1648 applicants which is why they only have 5 people but that seems low. I assume the faculty participates in the admissions as well as the dean??

Are there any school reps here on this forum that could answer anything??

The funny thing is, I'm not surprised they "blamed it on everyone else". That's generally the vibe I got when I was there. There was no way it could be Marshall, it had to be everyone else.

General lack of acceptance and accountability that any problems might be their fault.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@rbsx/MikeMBA:

I'm a current first year FTMBA student at USC Marshall. A lot of what you are both saying is 100% true - I will not pretend that there aren't issues here. However, I can tell you the two main reasons why I chose USC Marshall over higher ranked schools - 1) the student body is fantastic and seriously a great group of smart, down to earth people that I didn't find at other business schools, and 2) the PRIME program.

Now that I've been in school for a couple of months, I can tell you that USC Marshall also values public speaking ability. For example, I had to give a presentation within my first week of core courses. Not all schools require this and we even have an entire core course (management communication) dedicated to improving your presentation skills.

I'm actually working on a midterm right now and have to keep this short, but if either of you have any questions at all about the program, please post in this thread and I will answer them all.

Best of luck in the admin process!

Originally posted by mflatt23 on 29 Sep 2014, 21:53.
Last edited by mflatt23 on 01 Oct 2014, 16:33, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mflatt23 wrote:
@rbsx/MikeMBA:

I'm a current first year FTMBA student at USC Marshall. A lot of what you are both saying is 100% true - I will not pretend that there aren't issues here. However, I can tell you the two main reasons why I chose USC Marshall over higher ranked schools - 1) the student body is fantastic and seriously a great group of smart, down to earth people that I didn't find at other business schools, and 2) the PRIME program.

I'm actually working on a midterm right now and have to keep this short, but if either of you have any questions at all about the program, please post in this thread and I will answer them all.

Best of luck in the admin process!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Send PM