Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [3]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
masoy wrote:
The online info session has just finished. Below are random points that I collected:

- They have started sending out interview invites for applicants located in the US
- For international candidates, an adcom literally said "expect invites over the new few weeks". Another one said that they will start sending out invites in early November (i.e. next week) through mid-November. Actual interviews will be conducted through the end of November
- They are planning to conduct interviews in Cambridge, LA, SF, and 12 international cities. They are still in the process of finalizing the international cities. One adcom said that they will interview in Shanghai and Honk Kong in Asia, while another one said that they will interview in India. No interviews in Africa/ME
- They expect to fill half of the class size from R1 applicants
- approx. 30% of the applicants will be interviewed, and 50%-60% of those will be admitted
- The interview lasts around 45 minutes

Good luck everyone!

Do you have any idea if you are an international student located in he US how are you considered? I would assume as US, but maybe somebody has heard otherwise.

thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
msal wrote:
masoy wrote:
The online info session has just finished. Below are random points that I collected:

- They have started sending out interview invites for applicants located in the US
- For international candidates, an adcom literally said "expect invites over the new few weeks". Another one said that they will start sending out invites in early November (i.e. next week) through mid-November. Actual interviews will be conducted through the end of November
- They are planning to conduct interviews in Cambridge, LA, SF, and 12 international cities. They are still in the process of finalizing the international cities. One adcom said that they will interview in Shanghai and Honk Kong in Asia, while another one said that they will interview in India. No interviews in Africa/ME
- approx. 30% of the applicants will be interviewed, and 50%-60% of those will be admitted

Good luck everyone!

Do you have any idea if you are an international student located in he US how are you considered? I would assume as US, but maybe somebody has heard otherwise.

thanks!

I don't think it matters whether you are currently in US or not, what really matters to them is that you gotta attend at one of the said locations. If you're shortlisted, then you'll get a chance to talk to admissions office regarding the location or they'd have already worked a location 'near you'. Either way their emphasis was on 'face-to-face' interview, so I'd assume that they'll be flexible regarding location with you.
In case I read your question wrong, then maybe this would be more suitable to your query. If you're not a US citizen or permanent resident, then you are an international candidate.
Applicant Lab Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools: HBS - Class of 2005
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
EmaSira wrote:
I didn't upload any optional essay. Reading from this forum and taking into account what admissions wrote on its blog, it seems it's quite important.

Bad error I guess but I thought to have said all about me in the other two essays.

I won't give up till the end, but it seems I'm not in a good position for an interview invite.

While a sample size of "one" should make any Sloanie rightfully decry lack of statistical significance :) , I helped someone last year who got into Sloan who left the optional essay blank.

And a quick bit of youtube/google sleuthing last year revealed some folks who did upload video essays who did not get in (or, at the very least, who were not enrolled in an MBA program months later - thanks, LinkedIn!). If we assume that acceptance would have = enrollment, then we can guess that they didn't get in, despite doing some (at times) rather elaborate video productions. So doing one doesn't necessarily guarantee a slam-dunk admission.

So don't worry too much about it.

Any R2 lurkers, it's better to do one than not do one, but "calling it optional when it's secretly mandatory" would be a passive-aggressive manipulation that I find hard to believe. I respect Rod Garcia & Co. too much to believe that they would do something that uncool :)

Originally posted by ApplicantLab on 28 Oct 2014, 08:10.
Last edited by ApplicantLab on 28 Oct 2014, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
ApplicantLab wrote:
EmaSira wrote:
I didn't upload any optional essay. Reading from this forum and taking into account what admissions wrote on its blog, it seems it's quite important.

Bad error I guess but I thought to have said all about me in the other two essays.

I won't give up till the end, but it seems I'm not in a good position for an interview invite.

While a sample size of "one" should make any Sloanie rightfully decry lack of statistical significance :) , I helped someone last year who got into Sloan who left the optional essay blank.

And a quick bit of youtube/google sleuthing last year revealed some folks who did upload video essays who did not get in (or, at the very least, who were not enrolled in an MBA program months later - thanks, LinkedIn!). If we assume that acceptance would have = enrollment, then we can guess that they didn't get in, despite doing some (at times) rather elaborate video productions. So doing one doesn't necessarily guarantee a slam-dunk admission.

Any R2 lurkers, it's probably better to do one than not do one, but "calling it optional when it's secretly mandatory" would be a passive-aggressive manipulation that I find hard to believe. I respect Rod Garcia & Co. too much to believe that they would do something that uncool :)

To add on top of this, the optional video/essay isn't graded. However, in the words of the adcom I spoke to, it is "highly recommended." It is something you can do to add a personal element to your application, considering Sloan doesn't ask you for extracurricular activity in the application itself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Are you interested in a career in finance? Looking for a curriculum that will help give you a quantitative edge? I want to let you know about our upcoming Master of Finance (MFin) Open House on November 13th happening here on campus!

The Master of Finance is a one-year, rigorous program perfect for individuals who want to prepare for a career in the finance sector. MFin students benefit from a collaborative student community, supportive career development office, flexible curriculum, Action Learning opportunities, and access to world-renowned faculty. Gain insight into the program by reading this recent article.

This Open House is a great opportunity to ask all your pressing questions, and learn about the program from those who know it best—our current students.  As Florent Coeffic, MFin ’13 describes, “there is more flexibility here than I realized, and much more interaction with the faculty.  Students are free to customize their learning experience by taking classes across programs…I think it illustrates the collaborative culture that is a hallmark of MIT Sloan.”  See what our students have to say about the program in the MFin student blogs.

Applications are due January 5th, 2015. Applicants who submit before December 1st qualify for a reduced application fee. Application fees are waived for current college seniors who are US citizens graduating from a US school in 2015 and for active US military personnel. I encourage you to check out our website for more information.

I hope you can attend the MFin Open House!

Dawna Levenson, Director, MIT Sloan Admissions

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
masoy wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Has anyone gotten an interview invite and also indicated they want to interview on campus?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Are you an applicant with a significant other?
Choosing an MBA Program is a joint decision, one that impacts both you and your other half. In today’s blog post, I want to let you know about the inclusive community for Significant Others (SOs)—here at MIT Sloan.

SOs are an integral part of our community, whether they’re full-time professionals, students, or stay-at-home parents. The Significant Others of Sloan SOS club hosts a wide variety of daytime and evening social events, from museum trips to wine tastings. The MIT Sloan Parents Club provides an immediate network for moms and dads and children in the MIT Sloan community. Additionally, the MIT-wide Spouses and Partners group hosts everything from career development programs to English-speaking practice sessions.

In Admissions, we love having the chance to get to know the partners of our students. One SO our team got to know very well, Estela Fernandez whose husband is a 2014 alum, volunteered with our Ambassadors Program. We still keep in touch with Estela, and she recently wrote to us about her two years at MIT Sloan. Here is an excerpt from her post.

Today, I can say that I made lifetime friends thanks to MIT. MIT Sloan not only cares about their students, they also know how important SOs are and that’s why they dedicate effort and resources for them. For me, the MBA wasn’t about looking at my husband reading textbooks or studying for exams, it was about learning about people from all over the world and their cultures, beliefs, and customs.

Enjoy everything that this great experience can offer. It goes by really fast.

You can find the rest of her post here online.

Please email us if you or your partner have any questions about life at MIT Sloan.

-Dawna Levenson, Director of Admissions, MIT Sloan

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
goinggolfing wrote:
masoy wrote:

Good luck everyone!

Has anyone gotten an interview invite and also indicated they want to interview on campus?

I received an on campus one yesterday. they gave a list of dates and times for people to sign up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
ApplicantLab wrote:
EmaSira wrote:

Any R2 lurkers, it's better to do one than not do one, but "calling it optional when it's secretly mandatory" would be a passive-aggressive manipulation that I find hard to believe. I respect Rod Garcia & Co. too much to believe that they would do something that uncool :)

Thank you mate for your words of encouragement. Seems that there are different beliefs about that. Hope your pov is the right one. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
msal wrote:
masoy wrote:

Good luck everyone!

thanks!

Your assumption is correct. They release the interview notification according to the city where you currently live.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any invites today?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
no action on the board.....getting pretty late in the afternoon out there
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q43 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:Business Development (Investment Banking)
Send PM
masoy wrote:
Any invites today?
nothing here!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.52
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
nvel wrote:
masoy wrote:
Any invites today?
nothing here!

Nothing in the mid-Atlantic.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
I live in NH. Would assume that my invite would go out with the Boston-area invites. Have those gone out yet?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
The feedback that invites to internationals will only be sent out in November is going to help me actually sleep through the next three nights, without standing up every few hours to check if I've got an email! Party!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.62
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Has anyone gotten an interview invite today? Nothing over here, I am in Tennessee.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts