Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:45 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
Bookmarks
FROM Scott Duncan: The 25 Interview Questions I Am Preparing to Answer
With my Kellogg Interview behind me, and my MIT Sloan interview at the end of this week, interview practice is at the top of my priority list.

By popular request and in no particular order, here are the interview questions that I am practicing:

• Walk me through your resume.
  • Why did you choose [undergraduate institution]?
  • Why MBA?
  • Why [B-School]?
  • What are your short-term goals?
  • What are your long-term goals?
  • Why does it make sense for you to get an MBA now?
  • How will you contribute?
  • What is your greatest professional/personal success?
  • What are your strengths and weaknesses?
  • Tell me about a time you took the lead
  • Tell me about a time you failed
  • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager
  • Tell me about a difficult situation with a co-worker
  • Tell me about a time you used creative problem solving
  • Tell me about a time that an idea of yours was rejected
  • What do you do when a team member isn’t pulling their weight?
  • Tell me about a time you took initiative
  • What do you do when you have to do work that you don’t find interesting?
  • Tell me about a time you mentored someone
  • Tell me about a piece of constructive criticism you have received
  • Tell me about a time you worked on a team
  • What are your hobbies/what do you do for fun etc.
  • How would your friends/co-workers describe you?
  • Any questions for me?

Have you been asked any questions that aren’t on the list?

Subscribe Now!

I value your privacy and would never spam you. Unsubscribe at any time.

The post The 25 Interview Questions I Am Preparing to Answer appeared first on Scott Duncan.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Minor Updates, practice questions & Interview with Accepted
My Booth interview has been setup for next week Tuesday and my interviewer is not the famous Lady A that did my first interview. I realised I did not include that in my last post. I’m knee-deep into my preparations for the interview but it is a very slow process as I’m currently working an average of 12 […]
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: The result is in…
And I’m definitely not admitted to Fuqua. It was horrible waiting for a phone call that never came, but I’ve had a while for it to sink in and I’m okay. Slightly heart broken because everyone who’s read even part of this blog knows how much I loved Duke – but I’m still hopeful for better things to come.

I’m not sure if I’ve been dinged completely or wait listed (they haven’t updated the web portal yet) but I want to move on. Part of me isn’t sure if I should you know? This decision has me wondering if I even have a shot of getting in anywhere that I actually want to get in. Hearing absolutely nothing from Yale hasn’t helped things either.

I just don’t know anymore!

Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
FurrowedBrow wrote:
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: The result is in…
And I’m definitely not admitted to Fuqua. It was horrible waiting for a phone call that never came, but I’ve had a while for it to sink in and I’m okay. Slightly heart broken because everyone who’s read even part of this blog knows how much I loved Duke – but I’m still hopeful for better things to come.

I’m not sure if I’ve been dinged completely or wait listed (they haven’t updated the web portal yet) but I want to move on. Part of me isn’t sure if I should you know? This decision has me wondering if I even have a shot of getting in anywhere that I actually want to get in. Hearing absolutely nothing from Yale hasn’t helped things either.

I just don’t know anymore!

Bummer! Sorry to hear this. It is absolutely crushing and mind-numbing to be hearing and seeing so many hopes put on hold or shattered by the Adcoms. It happens every year at GMAT Club and it is very painful esp in Nov and Dec when the final decisions for R1 come in. The really hard part is not knowing how much you did not reach the mark - did you do only 5% of the effort or were you 95% there - you never really know. It is an exercise. Part of the experience. Try to learn from it. That's the best answer I have come up in the years of this sad season.
Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Coffee Beans And Tea Leaves: I am in…and I am going South!
I got in! I got in! I got in! Got the Early Decision Admit to Fuqua and I am over the moon. Yes there were tears. I am done with is process and soooo ready to begin the next phase. I shall be back to writing more often once I feel more coherent but I […]
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
MBAjunkie16 wrote:
I got in! I got in! I got in! Got the Early Decision Admit to Fuqua and I am over the moon. Yes there were tears. I am done with is process and soooo ready to begin the next phase. I shall be back to writing more often once I feel more coherent but I […]

CONGRATULATIONS. AMAZING JOB!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 205
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 580 Q37 V32
GMAT 2: 570 Q36 V32
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
bb wrote:
MBAjunkie16 wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS. AMAZING JOB!

Thanks BB!! :thanks :thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: I’m happy just to dance with you
Quick update from me…

I had my first INSEAD alumni interview earlier this week with the second (and final!) one scheduled for tomorrow. I’ve been doing a lot of prep for the interviews this time around – not because I suck at interviews, but so my answers are precise and concise (I have a tendency to go off-message and ramble if I’m not sure of the answer – see more of my shortcomings here).

Alumni interviews are a bit different too. INSEAD is known for its friendly and passionate alums, but don’t be fooled: you’re still there to impress, come across as a great fit, a nice guy (or gal) and they still have to fill in that feedback form. So, why not make their job easier for them!?

I don’t have any great insight – the questions from my first interview were not difficult and are widely reported on sites like Accepted and GMAT Club – but I do recommend preparing with mock interviews to help get your thoughts in order (a consultant OK, but try your friends and business associates too).

The other thing is to SMILE and be ENTHUSIASTIC. Last season I was so focused on my answers I was way too serious and gave quite a flat performance. Who would you rather have in your class – someone happy and enthusiastic or a sourpuss!?

Also, Wharton sends out its interview invites today. For those of you who’ve been followingmy strategy, Wharton is my top choice so this is a big deal! It is also four months to the day that I hoped to quit my job and enroll in the Class of 2016 – I’m not sure how I will handle the disappointment a second time around. Hopefully it will not come to that!

Anyway, to my fellow (re-)applicants, just keep breathing and have faith in your amazing abilities. You’ll be hearing from me again real soon! :)

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: Now that the sting has worn off…
I’m considering a very difficult decision. Insanity maybe? I don’t know. I’m thinking about retaking the GMAT before Round 2 deadlines with a goal of scoring at least a 750 this time. I know my weakness: I’m a very young applicant. I have a great GPA, great extracurriculars, great work experience (quality wise) but my GMAT as a consultant told me is “average”.

I’m pretty decent at taking standardised tests and I’m sure that with proper preparation I can beat the 710 I have. But I am worried about how I’m going to manage this with work, my startup, my volunteering work and actual applications. On the flip-side, having a really strong GMAT score could make me stand out and offset the damage I do to their admission statistics with my paltry work experience by increasing the average GMAT score.

Now, another sign that I’m losing my mind is that I am considering applying to Booth in Round 2. Yep. You heard me right. A school that is ranked way above Duke and practically up there with H/S/W. Why you ask? Primarily because this: Chicago Booth Early Career Candidates

…the Admissions Committee will bear in mind the applicant’s proximity to the college experience when considering factors such as leadership, supervision experience, and academic success.

I found myself checking off everything on that list. BUT, and this is a huge but, the average age is still about 28 though with 4.5 years of work experience. Does that mean I’m reading too much into this whole pitch they have for early career candidates? Well apart from this, I like the fact that the program is extremely analytical and personalized, and they have a great focus on entrepreneurship and non-conformity. I am still debating this internally, but I must admit a 750 would make me feel a little better about applying here. NaijaMBAGal, any insights? :P

Other than that, I’m still deliberating my list. Cornell Johnson is definitely in there and I’m debating between Ross and maybe UCLA (didn’t think I’d want to be on the West Coast, but oh well). So if not this year, then what? I’m going to rethink my job situation and work towards getting into a top 10 school next year. Until then, decisions decisions.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Kudos
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: I want to tell you …Wharton interview invite!
Yes Yes YES!!! I’m very excited to be able to post this great bit of news after a nervous day of inbox refreshing (don’t we all know that feeling by now!?).

Still some work to do but feels good to be back in the running at my top choice b school.

Congratulations to my fellow invitees :)

And commiserations to anyone who didn’t get the news they were hoping for today – I know that feeling too!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Bad News from Wharton
So, I woke up from the flu I was nursing to find out I got a ding from Wharton. That was a shocker, I was fairly certain I would get in. On to Booth interview prep and waiting for Stanford + Sloan. I’ll update this post tomorrow.  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: TheEngineerMBA Update: Still no word from MIT or Stanford
MIT’s idea of a joke.  We will get along fine. Hi guys, just checking in with business school application progress. I am preparing to head out…
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-30-2014
GPA: 3.03
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
FROM MBA on my Mind: C’est la vie.

I feel ya, simon.

I just got back from a trouble shooting mission from one of my projects. So, yes I didn’t give my GMAT on the 31st of October, I’ll have to reschedule it, AGAIN. I had myself a good cry yesterday, because I just CANNOT catch a break with this test. I regret not taking it earlier this year :/. Anyway, I’ll be booking my new date soon, mostly November end or the first week of December! I will have to make this work.

After a good few hours of lolling about in the cesspit of negativity brought on by all this sudden travel, being in a state of despondency over the test and oh did I mention I’ve been moving offices these past 2 weeks, I forced myself to snap out of it (After having the aforementioned good cry, of course) and revisit the bigger picture. I feel like an idiot for getting so emotional over a gorram test. I am a firm believer of the notion that – ‘Everything happens for a reason’, so these delays in taking the test have happened because there’s a bigger plan in motion (I hope!). Now that my head is clear, I realize that I love my job, I love it to bits and I am convinced more than ever that the need for an MBA is supreme. I just have to figure out a way to balance these two rather demanding creatures with sangfroid and control.

I have the tendency to scour Youtube for inspirational TEDTalks when I am out of juice… so yesterday (After having the aforementioned good cry) I stumbled upon this TEDx talk by Kiran Gandhi, and felt like I should share it with ya’ll. I have HUGE girl crush on her, she is such an inspiration. So, here’s her story she is a 25 year old MBA student at Harvard Business School (that’s right) and when she is not prepping for her case studies at school, she is on freaking tour with M.I.A. as her drummer, AMONG other things!! Like WOW. And she lives by this theory called Atomic Living. You gotta watch this video to understand it. Her talk inspired me to look at coincidences (troubleshooting assignment, in my case) in a positive light, because all of them stem from whatever you are passionate about. It made perfect sense to me.

I will keep you guys posted on when my test is slated for. Apart from the test, everything else application-wise are looking good. Recommendation forms will be going out soon. I am gearing up for round 2! I will be adding 2 more schools to my Tally board, and it looks like Darden is going to be one of them! :)

PS: 1008557987 points for those of you who spotted the ‘firefly’ references! :P

MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM My MBA Journey: Game Plan
Well, I have decided to wait to apply until next year. Pursuing an MBA is a life changing decision and clearly I wasn’t ready for it. This journey is an extensive process that requires enough time for adequate preparation. Applying next year (to begin the program in Fall 2015) will give me enough time to prepare the best application possible and also prepare myself for this life change.

So I’m taking a step back and preparing my game plan.

Studying

I need to keep studying regularly, although I do plan to increase my study cadence prior to taking the test. Right now I want to focus on finding the right fit, comprising my essays, and working on my career growth. I do want to keep studying to stay fresh, but the majority of my studying will be done closer to my test date. Once I get closer to the date my goal is to study twice during the week for at least two hours each day and then also on Saturdays and Sundays for 4-6 hours each day.

Research

I have done quite a bit of research so far about MBA degrees and programs. However, there’s no such thing as having too much information. I have mostly been reading articles and reviewing program websites. I bought a few MBA guides and books that I need to start reading. The next one on my list is “The Complete MBA Admissions Guide.” I’ll let you know how it is!

Visits

Although research is important, there’s no comparison to actually visiting the college and town you are interested in. I want to make the effort to visit at least most of my top schools. If I cannot visit the school, I at least want to attend panel sessions, MBA tours, offsite events, and online webinars. I can research all I want, but actually speaking to representatives or students from these programs will give me the best insight to determine which program is best for me.

Essays

Essays help make the application come alive. Resumes and test scores are somewhat standard, but essays can really help to let your personality and individuality shine. Aside from the interview, I am the least worried about this portion of my application. I still plan to start early and dedicate a lot of time toward my essays.

Career

Having extra time before beginning an MBA program gives me time to mature and grow within my career. I have been very fortunate to experience numerous opportunities throughout my career to grow. However, career growth is a continuous process. It’s my goal to expand my skill set outside of my current industry before beginning an MBA program. I’ve mainly worked in automotive social media industry. In the future if I pursue a leadership position, I might be overseeing various departments. Having background in multiple industries would help me be a better manager.

Although I wish I would have been ready to apply this year, I’m not disappointed, but instead I’m excited. I have a plan and can take the time I need to prepare for the next journey in my life.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: TheEngineerMBA Profile
I have decided to share a short bit about my profile after repeated requests from various others in the business school blogosphere. Work: By matriculation I…
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM My MBA Journey: Little Wins
After consistently working so hard, it’s nice to celebrate the little wins. Unfortunately I took some “time off” and hadn’t been studying regularly for a couple months from June to August. Those are the only months in Michigan when it’s actually nice outside and I took an extended summer vacation. I have been trying to get back at it and study frequently over the past few weeks. I decided to take a practice test today although I knew I wasn’t ready for it. I wanted to gauge to see how of the material I had forgotten. To my surprise I did better than expected. I took an official GMAT practice test and scored a 620. Although this is far from my 680-700 goal, it still was a bit better than expected. Of course in the IR I scored pretty well in the 81st percentile. For some reason I always do well in the sections that don’t matter as much. In the Quan section I was in the 61st percentile and in Verbal I scored within the 67th percentile. Overall I was in the 69th percentile. They say to get into a top school you must be at least within the 60% percentile in both areas, but they hope you to be 80 and 80 within both.

What I was most happy about is that I reviewed the incorrect answers and didn’t see many that surprised me. There were times during the test when I knew I would not be able to get the answer. I was either unfamiliar with the type of problem or forgot relevant formulas needed to solve the problem. I didn’t waste time and made a quick strategic guess on these problems. For Quan, every problem I got wrong was a problem I guessed on. I got a few problems correct that I had guessed on as well. There’s a probability factor that helps when guessing. On the Verbal section, there were a few problems I was surprised I got wrong. I answered quite a few of the reading comprehension problems wrong. Generally, I perform a bit stronger in the verbal section than the quan section. I need to take a look at the Manhattan Navigator tool I use to track my strengths and weaknesses. I could be under-performing on these questions, or maybe it was a bit of a fluke.

I often notice I try to rush during the reading comprehension sections. It feels like I take so much time on these problems and I don’t want to get behind. But what I need to remember is that these sections will take longer. It’s suggested to spend about 3 minutes reading and taking notes for a long passage. For each of the questions, you should generally spend 60-90 seconds. This is why the recommended time schedule for the verbal section is a bit more undefined than the quan table. If you have most of the reading comp questions earlier on in the test, it might look like you’re behind on time. Or if you don’t have many reading comp questions early on and are exactly on time, you might end up being behind if you didn’t give yourself some extra wiggle room to use in those sections.

For reference, when I have been mentioning that I am “guessing on problems” I really mean I am taking a strategic guess. I might solve part of the problem and narrow down the answers. Or at times I use estimation to help determine the answer. If possible, it’s better to not take a random guess. If you are running out of time though, it is better to take a random guess rather than leaving an answer blank. I recommended reviewing some free materials about strategically guessing on the Manhattan GMAT website. Good luck!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
FROM Grant Me Admission: My Interview with Kellogg
Hey everyone, today I will be reviewing my interview with Kellogg. As many of you already know, I applied to only Tuck last year, as I…
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  18   19   20   21   22   23   24  ...  48