Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Statistics, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU-Stern Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
bml1105 wrote:
arjunkumar wrote:
Finally got the NYU status email...

Me too! I applied through the Consortium so I was freaking out that it wouldn't make it there at all!

Now the real freaking out can begin.
2 weeks to go before people (at least US-based applicants) will start getting updates.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
eleuth wrote:
bml1105 wrote:
arjunkumar wrote:
Finally got the NYU status email...

Me too! I applied through the Consortium so I was freaking out that it wouldn't make it there at all!

Now the real freaking out can begin.
2 weeks to go before people (at least US-based applicants) will start getting updates.

Oh that gives me time to freak out about other schools :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
I believe this is the next school on my list to freak out about.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,

I'm a current second-year full-time MBA student at Stern.
Would try to login once in a while to answer your questions (if I can).

Meanwhile, try not the freak out too much - it's just a part of the process. Don't worry if you don't get the status email as fast as other people do - it doesn't mean anything.

When I applied to Stern we had 3 mandatory essays as opposed to you guys. We had to do both essays 2 and 3. Also, I got in off the waitlist. I was waitlisted without an interview and then got the interview invite. If I remember correctly, I got the interview invite about 2 months after being waitlisted.

Good luck to you all - Both Stern and New York are pretty damn amazing!
Stern School Moderator
Send PM
freetz wrote:
Hi All,

Meanwhile, try not the freak out too much - it's just a part of the process. Don't worry if you don't get the status email as fast as other people do - it doesn't mean anything.

When I applied to Stern we had 3 mandatory essays as opposed to you guys. We had to do both essays 2 and 3. Also, I got in off the waitlist. I was waitlisted without an interview and then got the interview invite. If I remember correctly, I got the interview invite about 2 months after being waitlisted.

Hi freetz,

What other schools did you apply to? Was Stern your top choice?
How strong is Strategy at Stern?
What are the school's main strengths (other than the Finance department) and weaknesses, in your view?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 660 Q42 V40
GMAT 3: 690 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.03
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Got an invite! Very surprised/amazed to be part of the priority pool! Anybody else in the same boat and would like to practice interviewing? Scheduled interview for November 21 if anybody is interested in sharing a hotel.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
harvardmbaapplicant wrote:
Got an invite! Very surprised/amazed to be part of the priority pool! Anybody else in the same boat and would like to practice interviewing? Scheduled interview for November 21 if anybody is interested in sharing a hotel.

Good Luck

Originally posted by PeterHAllen on 03 Nov 2014, 12:05.
Last edited by PeterHAllen on 03 Nov 2014, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Send PM
Kudos

Congrats and good luck on your interview! Please keep us posted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
eleuth wrote:
freetz wrote:
Hi All,

Hi freetz,

What other schools did you apply to? Was Stern your top choice?
How strong is Strategy at Stern?
What are the school's main strengths (other than the Finance department) and weaknesses, in your view?

As an international, I applied only to schools that are located in big cities. I applied to many schools since I wanted to move to the US and get my MBA. At the time, Stern wasn’t my first choice but I’m more than happy to end up where I am. I've never imagined that I would interview with the companies that I have before coming here.

I have friends who attend other schools, and I’m quite shocked to hear the stories that they tell about their classmates, how competitive they are when it comes to recruiting, interviews, etc. At Stern these things never happen. Everybody is trying to help as much as they can, even if “competing” for the same job.

Strategy – by that you mean management consulting or corporate strategy? Anyway, from Stern you can land jobs in both. However, keep in mind that without prior experience in consulting or strategy, it would be hard to get a corporate strategy / business development role in a traditional corporate setting. I believe this holds true for all schools, not just Stern.

I believe one of the strengths is the school’s location. We’re close to every major company’s HQ, get to go to tons of conferences (media, tech, start ups, finance, etc.) that take place in the city, and live in a very collaborative environment. That said, in my opinion, the city is relatively expensive, both in terms of real estate and the cost of living. However, I believe it’s totally worth it. How often (especially internationals) do you get to live in Manhattan???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM

Good luck!! May I ask how did you manage to submit apps to all the schools in Round 1 from that impressive list you have?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
While anxiously wating for a notification from Stern, I have one question: will the interview invite go out before the December 4th notification date? or we will get interview invite, ding and WL on the same day? A bit confused here... Thanks!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 4
Send PM
JXhina wrote:
While anxiously wating for a notification from Stern, I have one question: will the interview invite go out before the December 4th notification date? or we will get interview invite, ding and WL on the same day? A bit confused here... Thanks!! :)

I can read in their website "BY the deadline". So I hope that we'll hear from NYU before that due.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
JXhina wrote:

Where do you see the December 4th notification deadline? It says December 15 on this page: https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/full-time-mba/admissions/deadlines

Am I missing something?
Stern School Moderator
Send PM
freetz wrote:
As an international, I applied only to schools that are located in big cities. I applied to many schools since I wanted to move to the US and get my MBA. At the time, Stern wasn’t my first choice but I’m more than happy to end up where I am. I've never imagined that I would interview with the companies that I have before coming here.

I have friends who attend other schools, and I’m quite shocked to hear the stories that they tell about their classmates, how competitive they are when it comes to recruiting, interviews, etc. At Stern these things never happen. Everybody is trying to help as much as they can, even if “competing” for the same job.

Strategy – by that you mean management consulting or corporate strategy? Anyway, from Stern you can land jobs in both. However, keep in mind that without prior experience in consulting or strategy, it would be hard to get a corporate strategy / business development role in a traditional corporate setting. I believe this holds true for all schools, not just Stern.

I believe one of the strengths is the school’s location. We’re close to every major company’s HQ, get to go to tons of conferences (media, tech, start ups, finance, etc.) that take place in the city, and live in a very collaborative environment. That said, in my opinion, the city is relatively expensive, both in terms of real estate and the cost of living. However, I believe it’s totally worth it. How often (especially internationals) do you get to live in Manhattan???
Thanks for the detailed reply. Speaking of management consulting, how realistic is it to get an internship in a top consulting firm after a year at Stern with a background in marketing and no prior consulting experience?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I just received an interview invite!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
eleuth wrote:
freetz wrote:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Speaking of management consulting, how realistic is it to get an internship in a top consulting firm after a year at Stern with a background in marketing and no prior consulting experience?

I'd say it's very realistic. I have friends who interned this summer at all the big firms (MBB) plus Deloitte, PwC, KPMG and EY. Furthermore, I believe that most of them don't have background in consulting. From what I've noticed, most people who come to b-school with backgrounds in consulting usually don't want to go back...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
mhk24 wrote:
JXhina wrote:

Where do you see the December 4th notification deadline? It says December 15 on this page: https://www.stern.nyu.edu/programs-admissions/full-time-mba/admissions/deadlines

Am I missing something?

Sorry - you didn't miss anything. Dec 15th is the notification date.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts