Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2017 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
I know that EA had until 10/31 to interview (10/8 was the EA due date).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: A Day in the Life of a Tuck Student

By Maryn J. T'15

Maryn is a T’15 originally from Seattle, WA but is loving the adventures of her two years on the East Coast. At Tuck, she is involved in a variety of activities—from serving as quality of life chair (yes, that really is a real role here) on the Student Board, to teaching group fitness classes, to leading the Triathlon Club. She was lucky enough to travel to South Africa with Dean Stocken for a Learning Expedition during spring break of her first year. She did an internship with Goldman Sachs in the Seattle office doing private wealth management. She looks forward to sharing her Tuck adventures all of you!

It’s a tad difficult to write a post on a “typical” day in the life of a Tuckie, since no two days ever include the same arrangement of activities. Given that caveat, here is a view into my life on a recent Monday:

6:15 a.m.: Alarm goes off. Jump out of bed and head to school to teach 7 a.m. “MarBarre” to 12 of my fellow Tuckies.

7 a.m.:  Teach MarBarre (strength/toning barre class). Prior to Tuck, I taught group fitness class on nights/weekends and looked for a way to incorporate that aspect of my life into my life at Tuck. Tuck was incredibly supportive of my endeavors and encouraged me to share my passion!

8 a.m.: Gorgeous 6-mile run along the river soaking in the beauty of the Upper Valley foliage.

10:15 a.m.: Investments course with Ken French, Nobel Prize winner and the Roth Family Distinguished Professor of Finance.

12 p.m.: Student board lunch meeting. As Quality of Life chairwoman on the student board, I am responsible for all aspects of the well-being and happiness of Tuckies, as well as generally ensuring that the quality of life of all Tuckies is as high as possible. This consists of planning events (such as the weekly Thursday evening happy hours also known as TuckTails) to ensuring that we have services such as on-campus dry cleaning.

1:15 p.m.: Leadership in the Global Economy course with Associate Dean for Faculty Matthew Slaughter, former member of the Council of Economic Advisors in the Executive Office of the President.  We are so lucky to have such incredible and passionate faculty at Tuck!

3 p.m.: Meet with a new first-year friend to talk about my summer experience at Goldman Sachs and share helpful recruiting tips.

4 p.m.: Read in Stell Hall (which looks eerily similar to what I imagine Hogwarts to look like) to prepare for tomorrow’s courses.

5:30 p.m.: TuckTails planning meeting. As mentioned above, as QLC Chair I plan a weekly happy hour for students, faculty, and staff every Thursday from 5-7pm. The event is usually co-sponsored with another club on campus.

6 p.m.: Run home to change into business casual clothes and head to Pine at the Hanover Inn (a nice restaurant in town) for a visiting executive dinner with esteemed alumni David Southwell T'88, president & CEO of Inotek, Inc.

6:45 p.m.: Visiting executive dinner. Tuck offers unparalled access to successful alumni who come to campus to meet with students and also do guest lectures in classes. Tonight’s dinner was with distinguished Tuck alumnus David Southwell who has been the president and chief executive officer of Inotek, Inc. since August 2014. Mr. Southwell has more than 20 years of experience in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals including financings, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate leadership. The intimate group of us eight students enjoyed hearing Mr. Southwell’s perspective on the biotech industry, life at Tuck, sailing, and more!

9 p.m.: Drinks with three of my best friends. Believe it or not, everyone is so busy at Tuck that you often have to schedule time to intentionally catch up with your best friends—even those who you live with.

10:30 p.m.: Head home and crawl into bed.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Kudos
invited to interview @ 17:50 Indian Standard Time (through email)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.43
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
flyinghigh2017 wrote:

Whoa, quite an unlikely hour to get the invite! Congrats and best wishes!! And I checked my email after seeing your post...am invited too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.44
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
shahibipul wrote:
flyinghigh2017 wrote:

Whoa, quite an unlikely hour to get the invite! Congrats and best wishes!! And I checked my email after seeing your post...am invited too.

Did you also get the invite at the same time as flyinghigh?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.43
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Yes, 5:58 to be precise...but not surprised now as it is from an India-based alumnus.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
shahibipul wrote:
Yes, 5:58 to be precise...but not surprised now as it is from an India-based alumnus.

thanks.... congrats to both of you

ATB :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
shahibipul wrote:

Same here, although an hour before that :) Interviewing in Bangalore this Saturday morning. Feel its very less time but I'll take it any day!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: What if…? How to Address Application Weaknesses
Sometimes we just don’t have all of the credentials, the experience, or the skills we need to ensure we will get to where we want to be. There are times when these challenges can be overcome with hard work, dedicated focus on improving our prospects, and just a little creative thinking.  The MBA application is no different.  There are several situations that can leave a candidate feeling less than confidant about gaining admission to their dream school.  First, to ease your fears: there are some fairly common stumbling blocks on the road to an MBA--and they can often be overcome, or at least minimized.

Here’s the key: rather than resolve yourself to months of worry and regret over things you can’t change, there are many ways to actively turn a less than ideal situation into a more positive one.  It’s also important to keep in mind that the application process really is holistic. We know that you’re way more than just one particular data point.

If we missed something or if you have follow-up questions, join us for our upcoming

chat on Beat the GMAT!  Wednesday, November 12, 12-1pm ET

What if my undergraduate GPA is low?

First, a reminder that the Admissions Committee reviews applicants with a very holistic approach.  While important, an undergraduate GPA that is below the average for any given school by itself won’t typically prevent admission.  Also note that while your GPA may be below a school’s average, it could be within its range. 

That being said, a low GPA is still a weakness in your application, and that should be addressed.  If possible, start by acknowledging this in the optional essay and providing an explanation (not an excuse!). 

Finally, prove to us that you’re capable of handling an extremely rigorous, and quant heavy, curriculum.  You can do this by scoring well on the GMAT (or GRE), taking additional, supplemental classes beyond your undergraduate degree and submitting well-written essays.  It’s also important to clearly show us areas you do excel in; leadership, global experiences, community involvement, etc.

What if my GMAT score isn’t where I want it to be?

First thing to keep in mind--a school’s average GMAT is just that, an average.  One big advantage to this challenge versus a low GPA is that you can choose to retake the GMAT, without consequence.  After giving it your best effort, if you feel like there’s no amount of additional preparation that will improve your score, you’re still not out of the game.  Again, you’ll need to prove you can handle a rigorous quantitative curriculum; high undergraduate GPA, supplemental courses with good scores (we often suggest financial accounting, statistics and microeconomics), etc.  Finally, highlight areas of your background that shine.

What if I come from a non-traditional professional background?

Great!  Tuck values unique experiences and individuals – many students decide to go to business school with the intention of switching careers and/or industries, so you won’t be alone.  Show us through your essays and interview how that unconventional experience will actually bring a different and positive perspective to your classmates.  Also, while you may not have been crunching numbers, there’s a good chance you’ve been honing skills that will help you succeed in business; leadership traits, interpersonal skills, communication expertise, etc.  Be sure to tell us the reality of the situation, not just what you think we want to hear.  Is your previous work experience based on a passion of yours?  Wonderful!  Let us know.  Additionally, take some time to reflect on some important questions – for you and for us.  What are your long-term goals?  How will an MBA help you achieve them?  Why now?  Why Tuck?  Once you answered these, if your path still leads you to Tuck, your sincerity and passion will be evident.

Looking for more? Join Tuck Admissions next week on Beat the GMAT for live Q&A: Wednesday, November 12, 12-1pm ET

What if I have very little global experience?

Like everything else, global experience is an important factor in your application, but certainly not the only one.  You may have more global experience than you think.  Have you worked or lived outside your home country?  Have you visited for an extended period of time?  Have you worked with global clients within your home country?  Do you know a second language?  Or, maybe this is the perfect time to jump on that international opportunity you’ve been postponing.

What if I haven’t had substantial leadership experience?

Like a lack of global experience, you may have more leadership experience than you think.  Consider times you led without a formal title.  Do you take the reins when it comes to projects with your colleagues?  Was there a committee or sub-committee that you steered in undergrad or for a non-profit or athletic endeavor?  Likewise, it could be a great time to volunteer for leadership roles in the workplace, or perhaps volunteer for this responsibility in a community activity you’re involved in.    

What if I’ve switched a couple of jobs in a short period of time?

This definitely happens and for a variety of different reasons.  The most important thing here is to explain the situation.  The less information you give us, the more we have to guess and though we’d love to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, this method may not be to our advantage, or yours.  The optional essay is a great place to address job switching and employment gaps. 

What if I can’t ask my current supervisor for a recommendation?

This is a fairly common dilemma. While it’s certainly helpful to have the insight of a direct supervisor, not having one isn’t a deal breaker. Consider reaching out to the person you reported to prior to your current boss. Other options may be current clients, a colleague who led a team for a project you worked on or the director of your department or team. The key thing to remember is when selecting recommenders, focus on people who can really speak to your strengths (and weaknesses) in key areas such as leadership, teamwork, and aptitude. Steer clear of asking former professors, family members or your little league coach.

Tuck Admissions will be hosting live Q&A on Beat the GMAT,

Wednesday, November 12 from 12-1pm ET.  

We also host several chats on our website, featuring both staff and current students.

See you soon! 
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Operations (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
chairman14 wrote:

Same here, although an hour before that :) Interviewing in Bangalore this Saturday morning. Feel its very less time but I'll take it any day!

Congrats!! :)

Did your applications status turn "complete" or is it still in submitted state?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Congrats all those who have been invited :)

Can you guys share your profile? And in which city is the interview scheduled?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi guys, I applied in April 2014 in the last round. I had my on-campus interview and it ends up with a waitlist and a ding.
I'm reapplying but honestly I don't know what to expect.

Will they call me for an interview again?
I have just to wait till mid December for the answer?

...bha...what a bad situation...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
Send PM
Indian applicant. Invited to interview next Sunday. Interview email received at 17:52 IST
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.94
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Is anyone from New York planning on coming up to Tuck for an interview on the 14th?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Looks like the invitations for Indian applicants have been sent. :(

Congrats to those who got the invites! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
jskt1989 wrote:
chairman14 wrote:

Congrats!! :)

Did your applications status turn "complete" or is it still in submitted state?

It still shows submitted
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  15   16   17   18   19   20   21  ...  66   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts