Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Ivey Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Hey Guys,

Does Ivey have 2 rounds of interview ? I did read some where that they called some students for another round of interview. Any clues y ?
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Why Quality Matters
With our Round 2 Application Deadline coming up on Monday, November 17 we thought it would be worth talking again about the importance of quality, what that looks like in an Ivey MBA candidate, and why it matters so much in the classroom.

Quality Matters

Although we receive hundreds of applications each year and our process is competitive, Ivey is looking for great people, not just great applications. With Case-Method Learning, the quality of your classmates truly matters at Ivey more than it might at other programs — this is because much of your learning is done through the contributions of and discussions with your classmates. Your class will be full of people who have had unique experiences and come from diverse backgrounds ranging from military and medical to banking and consulting to arts and communications to law and engineering.

What we are looking for is the best MBA candidates; those who show leadership potential,  bring a strong professional skill-set, and have demonstrated a track record of success and achievement in their work experience.

What does a quality candidate look like?

Management experience and 700-plus GMAT scores do not guarantee admission just as lower GMAT scores and entry-level experience do not automatically eliminate candidates. We want well-rounded people who will both contribute and be willing to learn from the contributions of those in the class; candidates who recognize the skills and knowledge they bring to the discussions and who have an established, focused goal to accelerate their career success. A quality class is only achieved through thorough evaluation of complete applications, a rigorous admissions interview process, and an understanding of the candidate’s fit.

Recruiters respond to quality

Our selective evaluation process ensures that our recruiters are getting the top talent they have come to expect from Ivey. In fact, our recruiters see Ivey’s admissions process as a type of pre-screen for the high-calibre candidates they are looking for because they are familiar with our rigorous admissions process. It’s why our recruiting partners continue to come back to Ivey year over year (even in tough market conditions when they may not be recruiting from our competitors) and why our employment rate is the highest of all the Canadian business schools (92% for 2013). The top organizations in the world recruit at Ivey because they know we have skimmed the top of the pool for the best talent.

Meeting the challenge

If you want to learn from the best, you have to be surrounded by the best. That’s why we put our students in a classroom full of people who will motivate, challenge, and support each other. The entire environment at Ivey is dynamic and collaborative; your faculty and fellow students will support you in your personal and professional growth, encourage your development, and push you outside of your comfort zone to build your confidence and leadership skills. At Ivey we believe that education can be a transformational experience and it’s our job as the Recruiting and Admissions team to put together a class that makes this transformation happen. It’s an intensive and challenging year that will push your boundaries — but quality candidates who are up for the challenge will gain more in one year than they could have ever expected from any other MBA program.

If you want to learn more about what we’re looking for and how our admissions criteria aligns with your background and experience, please get in touch with us at mba@ivey.ca or submit a resumé for feedback — we’d be happy to speak with you!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Ivey has been named as the #1 Business School outside USA (2014) by Bloomberg today. See
https://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-11-11/best-business-schools-2014-the-complete-rankings-table#r=read for complete details.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: Ivey '16 (A$)
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Kudos
Bankermba wrote:
Any R1 applicants here... anyone with an interview invite?

Just finished my interview recently.. it went ok I guess!

UPDATE: Got in!

Originally posted by zaphodbeeblebrox on 13 Nov 2014, 18:03.
Last edited by zaphodbeeblebrox on 17 Nov 2014, 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Account Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Application submitted yesterday!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
zaphodbeeblebrox wrote:
Bankermba wrote:
Any R1 applicants here... anyone with an interview invite?

Just finished my interview recently.. it went ok I guess!

UPDATE: Got in!

Congratulations!
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Ivey MBA Feature Profile: Sapna Mehta
We’re excited this week to feature another one of our incredible MBA students!

Sapna Mehta, Ivey MBA 2015

Degree: Bachelor of Applied Science in Industrial Engineering, University of Toronto

Hometown: Brampton, Ontario

From developing customer and channel strategies to building complex mathematical models and planning significant business and technology transformations, I have gained a breadth of experience in management consulting as a generalist spanning multiple industries and functional areas. I have applied these skills as an experienced consultant in my community, solving challenges for five not-for-profit organizations. Having developed a unique combination of skills bridging strategic thinking and analytical expertise, I chose to pursue the Ivey MBA to supplement my engineering education with a credible toolkit of business skills.

Ivey’s MBA Program was a natural choice for me as I contemplated the next stage in my career. My primary goal was to develop a strong network of Canadian business leaders. As Canada’s oldest business school, the size and calibre of the alumni network is unparalleled. Furthermore, your classmates form the foundation of this network and in speaking with each and every one of my peers I can confidently say that the classroom is full of a wealth of invaluable experience. In addition, the case-based method provides an opportunity to not only apply your experiences to real-world problems every day, but challenges you to constantly make and justify business decisions. This is a critical trait that distinguishes a strong performer from a strong leader, and thus I knew that Ivey was the right school for me.

Prior to joining the program, I was apprehensive about transitioning from hands-on on-the-job learning back to more passive learning in a classroom setting. My fears were quickly put to rest, however, as the relentless focus on quality contribution during case discussions ensures that each individual is actively engaged. Not only have I accumulated a plethora of knowledge about different geographies, industries, and functions, but my learning has also been substantially augmented by the personal experiences of my peers. Furthermore, the curriculum teaches you the technical fundamentals, but even the most technical courses have a strong focus on the managerial interpretation, which is key for every business leader.

Above and beyond the program itself, I am most amazed by the strength of the relationships that I have built with my classmates. I truly feel that I have developed a “home away from home” here at Ivey. Even a couple of weeks into the program, I knew that I had made a number of lifelong friendships with my classmates. The prospect that this one-year program will finish in the blink of an eye is both exciting and daunting, but I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything else.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Got Admitted with a 35k scholarship.

Turned down the offer due to several negative reviews about the Canada job market for tech/non-finance job opportunities and the huge cost factor.
Intern
Intern
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
ankushtulipz wrote:
Got Admitted with a 35k scholarship.

Turned down the offer due to several negative reviews about the Canada job market for tech/non-finance job opportunities and the huge cost factor.

"huge cost factor" ???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Yup...63k Can Dollars + One year cost, huge cost for me :)
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
I'm in. Applied end of round 2 - Interview was a week ago and received acceptance this week.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
efrtls wrote:
I'm in. Applied end of round 2 - Interview was a week ago and received acceptance this week.

Great work. Anyone else from R2 hear back yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Everyone,

I have interview scheduled for Ivey next week, could anyone of you please help me out with the best suggestions for Interview prep for Ivey.
I would appreciate any suggestions. :)

Thanks,
Jashan
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2217 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Jashan87 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have interview scheduled for Ivey next week, could anyone of you please help me out with the best suggestions for Interview prep for Ivey.

Thanks,
Jashan

Your interview will be with one of the career services officers. I was told in my interview that one of the objectives (which I feel was the MAIN objective) of the interview is to see whether a candidate can be "marketed" to recruiters. To showcase your marketability, you need to:

1. know your resume inside out. You will be asked to walk through your resume. I suggest you to practice this part many times, and try not to go into detail. Have a storyline in place. Be very well prepared to explain a shift in jobs.
2. know why you want to do an MBA, why Ivey, Why now. You should know your target industry very well and you may even be asked to name some companies that you want to work for. Be realistic and be prepared to explain your choices.
3. prepare for behavioral questions- how do you resolve a conflict at work? You may be asked to recall an example from your work.
4. know what three leadership traits are most important to you. Substantiate with examples from workplace.
5. recall a good advice made to you by a superior and how it affected you.
6. Have good communication skills- you need to demonstrate that you can think through your answers. For this, always take a moment before you start answering. Interviewers appreciate that you take a moment to think before you answer, rather than just jumping into answers and making mistakes.

Your interviewer will be very well aware of your background, including your test scores and academics. If there is a flaw in your application such as low GPA or GMAT, be ready to explain. Also, do remember to ask program related questions such as quality of class, case based method etc. As a general rule, do not ask any question that can be easily found on the internet. All the best :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
gmatpapa wrote:
Jashan87 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Jashan

Your interview will be with one of the career services officers. I was told in my interview that one of the objectives (which I feel was the MAIN objective) of the interview is to see whether a candidate can be "marketed" to recruiters. To showcase your marketability, you need to:

1. know your resume inside out. You will be asked to walk through your resume. I suggest you to practice this part many times, and try not to go into detail. Have a storyline in place. Be very well prepared to explain a shift in jobs.
2. know why you want to do an MBA, why Ivey, Why now. You should know your target industry very well and you may even be asked to name some companies that you want to work for. Be realistic and be prepared to explain your choices.
3. prepare for behavioral questions- how do you resolve a conflict at work? You may be asked to recall an example from your work.
4. know what three leadership traits are most important to you. Substantiate with examples from workplace.
5. recall a good advice made to you by a superior and how it affected you.
6. Have good communication skills- you need to demonstrate that you can think through your answers. For this, always take a moment before you start answering. Interviewers appreciate that you take a moment to think before you answer, rather than just jumping into answers and making mistakes.

Your interviewer will be very well aware of your background, including your test scores and academics. If there is a flaw in your application such as low GPA or GMAT, be ready to explain. Also, do remember to ask program related questions such as quality of class, case based method etc. As a general rule, do not ask any question that can be easily found on the internet. All the best :)

Great points of advice. Thanks a lot :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I had my interview last week and am waiting to hear back from the school.

My interview was focused on similar questions mentioned above. I'd just add it's important to show that you have a clear, well reasoned thought process for why you want to do a MBA, and why from Ivey. Strong research can really help in the process.

Just one more point: Think about a back-up plan in case your primary short-term job objective faces any headwinds.
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Beyond Your Application: What Makes Someone a Great Fit for Ivey?
An application is sometimes the first introduction we have to our Ivey MBA candidates. On paper, we’re looking for a strong package of quality work experience, GMAT score, references, academic history — just to name a few. In our interviews, we evaluate professionalism, verbal communication, and overall business sense and presence, not to mention calm under pressure! But what about those other personality traits that make a successful MBA candidate — those x-factor characteristics that make someone a great fit for Ivey?

Interest in Business

This isn’t exactly a personality trait, but some candidates really struggle to articulate this point and it’s at the core of any successful MBA student. Consider why you are doing the MBA. If it’s simply because someone has suggested that you should, or because you’re not sure what else to do at this point in your career, perhaps a re-think is necessary to decide whether it’s really the avenue for you. Any MBA program is intense, and if you are not truly interested in business issues you’ll have a hard time keeping up.

Self-Awareness

Do you know what your strengths and weaknesses are? Have you spoken to work colleagues and friends about it? Have you identified which skills will add value in the Ivey classroom and which ones you will need to strengthen during your MBA? In this team-intensive and interactive environment, we’re looking for candidates who recognize how they can add value and what they need to learn from others. We don’t expect everyone to come in as an expert in everything — we admit a diverse range of students so that you can both learn and contribute to each other’s MBA experience.

Work Ethic

There’s no room for hiding here; doing the homework and keeping up on assigned readings/cases and current events is critical to being successful in the Ivey classroom. Class contribution makes up a large percentage of our students’ grades and is determined based on the value of what you say and contribute in class, not how many times you speak.

Open Mind

A strong candidate needs to have a steadfast willingness and openness to listen and learn from his or her classmates, just as much as he or she is willing to teach them.

Everyone in our MBA class is intelligent, successful, and accomplished — we set the bar high for the quality of our candidates; however, our MBA classes are also made up of a diverse range of students with varying levels of experience, cultural backgrounds, and areas of expertise. We choose such a broad student base so that our MBAs can leverage the contributions of their classmates for their own learning. Recognizing the diverse talent, intelligence, and value of what those around you have to offer is the best way to be successful and to make the most of the MBA program.

Ambition

We’re certainly not asking that you carve your future career goals in stone before you arrive at Ivey. But, as one of the only business schools that incorporates Career Management into the interview process, we are looking for candidates who can recognize how elements of the MBA will supplement their goals post-MBA and who can provide some educated and researched thoughts about their short- or long-term career aspirations. Ambition is a key indicator of the drive and persistence that candidates are willing to contribute in order to achieve their career goals.

Think about some of these traits before submitting your application and/or attending your Ivey interview. These are the characteristics that we have identified in some of our most successful Ivey students, and they are key contributing factors to producing successful business leaders and great people!

Our final deadline for the 2015 March start is January 12! Best of luck to all applicants!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts