Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q46 V47
GPA: 3.52
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.3
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Calling all Booth Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
To guys who have already interviewed:

Are there any follow-up actions that you gotta take after the interview. Of course, you gotta write the thank-you note. But aside from that, is there anything else? I am new to this MBA game and had my first interview with Booth last week.

Also, my GMAT score is still awaiting. I sent it along with my application; it's been a month and a half. Is this normal?

Please enlighten me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Just had my interview at the downtown campus. Wow. This school is amazing. Literally every person in the room, candidates and admissions fellows, were incredibly warm and inviting. Far surpassed my expectations.

My interview hit many of the same questions as other applicants and a number of questions related to working in teams. I think I did ok, felt like I meandered a bit but I have been up since 3:30 am. I at Starbucks by the main campus now. Anyone else who comes to Chicago definitely needs to scope out the Harper center, it's amazing.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
bostonbp wrote:
Just had my interview at the downtown campus. Wow. This school is amazing. Literally every person in the room, candidates and admissions fellows, were incredibly warm and inviting. Far surpassed my expectations.

My interview hit many of the same questions as other applicants and a number of questions related to working in teams. I think I did ok, felt like I meandered a bit but I have been up since 3:30 am. I at Starbucks by the main campus now. Anyone else who comes to Chicago definitely needs to scope out the Harper center, it's amazing.

Posted from my mobile device

I'm happy you did well buddy. Hang on there!

Cheers!
J :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Interviewed on Saturday. Everyone was very nice and chatty. All the applicants were even very supportive of one another; overall great experience. I got really nervous in my interview and I'm hoping I didn't blow it - one of those cases where you're worried you rambled, or said something silly, or something, but can't pinpoint any specific thing. So I guess that might just be nerves. Questions I had:

Tell me your story.
Why an MBA?
Tell me a time about when you worked through something difficult on a team.
Tell me about a team you worked on that had conflict or was difficult to work with.
Tell me about a team you worked on that was a great team to work with.
Tell me about a time when you showed leadership.
How will you contribute?
Any questions for me?

Also, an important thing to note, they didn't even ask the "Why Booth" question. I spoke with someone who interviewed right before me who said they didn't ask him that, so he made sure to fit it into the "Why MBA" question. Maybe it's because we addressed that question already, but I would recommend fitting it in so that you're not left trying to sell yourself over it at the end.
VP
VP
Send PM
Devon wrote:
Interviewed on Saturday. Everyone was very nice and chatty. All the applicants were even very supportive of one another; overall great experience. I got really nervous in my interview and I'm hoping I didn't blow it - one of those cases where you're worried you rambled, or said something silly, or something, but can't pinpoint any specific thing. So I guess that might just be nerves. Questions I had:

Tell me your story.
Why an MBA?
Tell me a time about when you worked through something difficult on a team.
Tell me about a team you worked on that had conflict or was difficult to work with.
Tell me about a team you worked on that was a great team to work with.
Tell me about a time when you showed leadership.
How will you contribute?
Any questions for me?

Also, an important thing to note, they didn't even ask the "Why Booth" question. I spoke with someone who interviewed right before me who said they didn't ask him that, so he made sure to fit it into the "Why MBA" question. Maybe it's because we addressed that question already, but I would recommend fitting it in so that you're not left trying to sell yourself over it at the end.

Wow! Tough interview indeed, good luck with the waiting Devon!

Cheers
VP
VP
Send PM
By the way, I was also asked about my short term goal. Which wasn't 100% clear because I had the option of going back to my current employer. I said it would be my backup plan and mentioned other types of organizations I was interested in and the events Booth offers for recruitment in these types of companies (Extra points for this), however I realize that I should have mentioned that going back to my current employer was my short term goal priority but would be open to explore other summer possibilities during my internship.

Just minor details to make it perfect, but as I mentioned before the admission process is not rocket science unless you really screw up big-time with something.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Interviewed on Saturday too. Very welcoming atmosphere and I chatted with a lot of Booth students. Pretty nice and chill group. I was pretty lucky that I was able to connect really well with my interviewer. Probably the best interview I've ever done. Really crossing my fingers for this!

Forgot to mention, the questions were very similar to what others have posted. I got hit by Why Booth up front though.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.3
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Quick question for those who have interviewed already - any changes to your application status online? I've had mine for a week now and nothing has changed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
On the Super Saturday campus interviews, did anyone interview with someone from admissions or was it just all alumni and 2nd years?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Send PM
Hi guys,

I'll be leaving this weekend (from Germany) to interview at the Booth London hub.

Has anyone gone through the London hub interview before (or know anybody who has)?

I figure the questions will be of a similar nature but the number of candidates present, waiting time, number of interviewers etc. might vary and I was wondering how I can best prepare myself for the process.

Any insights will be met with a dollop of gratitude. :)

Cheers,

Arnav
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Have you guys who interviewed off-campus received any notification that your interview report was submitted?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
boothman wrote:
On the Super Saturday campus interviews, did anyone interview with someone from admissions or was it just all alumni and 2nd years?

They said that all interviews were conducted by 2nd years and alumni.
VP
VP
Send PM
cchisme wrote:
Interviewed on Saturday too. Very welcoming atmosphere and I chatted with a lot of Booth students. Pretty nice and chill group. I was pretty lucky that I was able to connect really well with my interviewer. Probably the best interview I've ever done. Really crossing my fingers for this!

Forgot to mention, the questions were very similar to what others have posted. I got hit by Why Booth up front though.

My man is loaded-loaded!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
GPA: 3.65
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
kackerarnav wrote:
Hi guys,

I'll be leaving this weekend (from Germany) to interview at the Booth London hub.

Has anyone gone through the London hub interview before (or know anybody who has)?

I figure the questions will be of a similar nature but the number of candidates present, waiting time, number of interviewers etc. might vary and I was wondering how I can best prepare myself for the process.

Any insights will be met with a dollop of gratitude. :)

Cheers,

Arnav

I don't know if this is helpful, but the on campus super saturday was very well run. I'm sure the number of interviewers (unknown) and candidates present (about 20-30 at a time, rotating hourly) will be different, but one benefit of being there early is that everyone was so incredibly friendly and outgoing that conversation actually made me more relaxed, not less. Of the 20-30 people present maybe two sat alone reviewing notes. The others were fully engaged with each other or admissions staff.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Members,

We like you to know about our new initiative - Chat Sessions with Admission Consultants. This is crucial time of the application season this year - Many schools have already sent out interview invites to R1 applicants; few are in the process. We thought this is right time to invite our top admission consultants in to our chat room where you can discuss your questions/queries in detail with them in an informal chat and get helpful tips.

We had the first session of this series with MBA PREP SCHOOL Co-Founders - Tyler Cormney and Chris Aitken - couple of days back. I am posting here excerpts from this discussion. Hope you will find this helpful. The next session in this series is with Critical Square Admission Consulting on Tuesday, 18 Nov. The details of this session can be find at the bottom of this post. Those who can't attend this event can PM their questions to me. I shall try to get answers to those questions from Consultants. Good Luck!!

klklk: Any Tips for Wharton Team Based Discussion?
MBAPrepSchool Chris: Congrats on being invited to the Wharton team interview. Couple of thoughts.
Your individual presentation needs to be prepared but not over rehearsed. This is your first chance to make an impression.
The second thought would be to remember that in the team based discussion, they are looking for examples of your ability to help lead and work within a team. That means not trying to dominate the discussion but also making sure that you're not too passive -- need to find a balance of participation that helps the team achieve its ultimate goal -- of coming up with a strong combined response to the prompt.
Final thought: if there are team members obviously struggling, try to help bring them into the discussion. In a real job environment you wouldn't let someone "drown", so don't do that in the Wharton Team interview either. That's a few thoughts; hope they're helpful and best wishes for success!

Pottsmi1: Do you think schools track visits by applicants? Any idea what impact they may have? Good/bad impression made on campus?
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: I'm a huge advocate of campus visits. You sign-up and these are tracked formally and informally. Our coach Esther who is a former Booth adcom told us these do make a difference. Primarily though because she'd remember someone she met and pull their file or keep an eye out for it.

fede7flores: Hello, I will be interviewing with MIT tomorrow, any tips for a BEI interview? Should I stick to the experiences mentioned on the essays, use only events not mentioned there or balance it?
MBAPrepSchool Chris: Congrats on the MIT interview! The MIT interviewers tend to prefer new examples, since they will have (generally) read you complete application. In any event, even if you were to lead with an example from your application, don't be surprised if the interviewer asks for another example. So I recommend having at least two strong answers ready.
When responding to behavioral interviews, make sure that you focus the answer around what you thought, felt, said, and did. This provides a full dimension of an answer ... Also you might find the STAR framework helpful to organize your response. S = Situation/background, T= task or objective you and your team were trying to address, A = Action (what do thought, felt, said and did), and R = result/outcome ... Also can include what you learned from the experience
Within the STAR framework, you want to focus ~70% of your response time on the "action" piece!
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: Here's a link to our free resources page with interview tips: https://mbaprepschool.com/category/ace-the-interviews/

piku9290dgp: What is admission team view about taking help from consultants? I was asked about it, and I told yes
MBAPrepSchool Chris: AdCom teams have varied views on the use of consultants. Some are OK with it; others less so. The key is to be able to demonstrate in your writing and interview answers that the stories, examples, etc. are authentically yours!
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: They take a dim view of essay ghost writing services of course. But working with a coach who helps you identify and communicate your strengths makes good sense and doesn't violate the integrity of the process.

Narenn: Hello Chris/Tyler, Many applicants have been waitlisted without interview in R1. Could you please advise how can one increase his/her chances of getting an interview?
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: Great question. First off, you MUST follow the instructions given by each school. Some will allow additional info and others won't. Don't ignore their rules. I think the Update Letter can be a powerful tool. Write to summarize things that have made your candidacy stronger since applying. A promotion, new accomplishment outside of work, higher GMAT Score, etc. If a campus visit is allowed and you haven't been then visit campus.
One of the most powerful things you can do is raise your GMAT score, assuming it's at or below median. Applicants with great profiles but weak GMATs often hit the waitlist
In a non-pushy way see if you could spend a few minutes meeting with an adcom. They might say no but if you are friendly they won't blame you for asking. I had a client waitlisted at Booth last year who ran one of the most comprehensive campaigns I've ever seen -- a video, 2 extra rec letters, letters from students, another campus visit. Frankly, I worried we were going overboard. Happy ending though she got in!

Ergen: What is attitude of adcoms to mandatory military service?
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: Regarding military service, I generally think it can be viewed positively -- especially if you gained leadership experience during military service.
MBAPrepSchool Chris: @ergen: Tyler comes from a military family, so he'll likely have more depth in a response but generally military experience provides some amazing experiences and opportunities to demonstrate your leadership in action, under significantly stressful and difficult circumstances. Don't shy away from it -- embrace the opportunity to show your leadership skills

RuchaMegha2083: Can you list some good universities who accept GMAT score range from 580 to 650?
MBAPrepSchool Chris: The question of a "good" university really depends on your career goals and reasons for pursing an MBA. I often recommend that if you're GMAT is in that range that you worry less about the rankings and spend more time understanding the strengths and unique resources offered by the schools you are considering.
Said differently, understand how that school will help you achieve your career goals - and then apply to those that will demonstrably help you!
RuchaMegha2083: I am looking for MBA in Accountancy. I’ve heard that Zicklin school is good in regard of this.
MBAPrepSchool Chris: When you have specialized goals (e.g., Accountancy) then the program focus is even more important. Depending on the type of firm/role you want post-MBA, Baruch College/CUNY could be a fine choice for you

Ergen: I work as a marketing manager in a pharmaceutical company. As an after mba goal I want to show a job in pharmaceutical divison of a consulting company. But I think when I apply to wharton they can ask me why don;t I apply to their healthcare management program. What are your thoughts on it? As you understood I do not want to apply to healthcare management program.
MBAPrepSchoolChris: Regarding Wharton's h'care mgmt program ... as the name suggests, it's more focused on healthcare *management* and your career goals are more oriented around marketing in the pharma industry.
You might find it helpful to "map out" exactly the courses, clubs, research centers, etc that you would participate in if accepted to Wharton. Pretend you've received that offer letter ... How would you spend the two years? Then you can figure out whether the h'care mgmt program is the right focus for your career goals or not. If there are only a few classes within the HC Mgmt discipline that you need to achieve your goals, then you can show that. If, on the other hand, most of your classes would come from their program, then you have to think more about this.

Pottsmi1: How would you rank the portions of an app in order of importance? Gmat, resume, interview, essays, etc.
MBAPrepSchool Chris: All the pieces are important, especially at different stages -- for top schools you can't really have a "weak" section. However to answer your Q directly, Interview, recs, essays, app form, GMAT, GPA

nitz19arg: For an applicant, which current job position is seen as more beneficial: technical role or techno-functional(eg. business analyst) role? I currently work in IT and hold a purely technical role. Will this be a drawback/advantage for me? A techno-functional role sounds better for MBA but—One theory says that a purely technical role would strengthen my skills in that technology and later be beneficial to me when I will play a managerial role in same technology. Your thoughts please.
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: nitz19arg MBA programs want to see how you've done in a role that has aspects of management and business decision making; therefore, purely technical roles are not as competitive, I'm afraid.

dlmm: When will be a good time to let the adcom know that I will be changing jobs? after the interview or before? i have good reasons for this... but my apps are all finished and i am already invited to interview
MBAPrepSchool Chris: Many schools ask you about any significant "updates" during the interview ... You should be prepared to explain the change and show how it fits/demonstrates that you're already making progress towards your stated career goals.

Important Tips from Tyler and Chris

• If there are red flags in you academic history the sooner you know about them the better. Once you’ve identified them, you can take steps to counterbalance poor performance with additional coursework or by tackling professional or personal projects that require the skills in question.
  • A word on timing for tests in light of that questions. Get GMATs, TOEFLS, etc. out of the way at least 6 months before you apply. That way you can focus on your written application.
  • I’m often asked what score is necessary to be competitive for a top tier school. The easiest way to remember the answer is our “Three 80s” Rule. First, you want your score to be well above the low-end of the range of scores made by the middle 80% of the school’s accepted applicants. Next, you want to have percentile scores on the quant and verbal sections above 80%. Third, ideally, you want a cumulative score above 680. In fact, the median scores for top 10 schools has recently climbed above the 700 mark, so the bar is even higher than 680 for a top 10
  • Another excerpt from our free video on building and outstanding application: ‘The topic resumes’ - There are important differences between an MBA application resume and an employment resume. Your objective and your audience is different. For example, an employer might be interested in your technical skills whereas an MBA admissions officer will be more interested in significant achievements and the moments in your career that distinguish you.
  • Start drafting application forms weeks in advance so you have time to perfect any short answer questions

Chat Transcript

Attachment:
MBA Prep School Session Transcript 11 Nov 2014.pdf [759.71 KiB]
Downloaded 42 times

Here are the details of Next Session

Date: November 18, 2014. Tuesday

Topic: The Three Rules for Amazing Career Goals.

Add this Event to your Google Calender

Speaker: Mr. Bhavik Trivedi (Managing Partner - Critical Square)

A Few Words about Bhavik: A story teller to the bone, Bhavik marries MBA admissions expertise and cross functional & industry knowledge as a former strategy consultant to help Critical Square’s clients get into the top ranked programs in the world. What does that mean for you? It means they know where you’re coming from and where you’re trying to go. Their track record speaks for itself and his favorite part of the job is getting excited calls from clients turned friends saying they got into their dream programs! He’s also passionate about helping others and when he isn’t working on client applications, you can find him consulting pro bono for a variety of local and global social empowerment not-for-profits.

Place: GMATClub Chat Room

Timing of the Session: 8.00 AM Pacific Time on 18th November 2014.

At Critical Square, we’re proud of what drives us and the impact we have. We have a responsibility to each and every applicant. In fact, we’ve designed our entire firm around giving you the best possible results and experience! Our commitment to you is unparalleled and we don’t compromise when it comes to your best interests. So what does it come down to? Expertise, passion, and integrity in everything we do.

Check out complete event schedule here

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
interviewed with 2nd year on Monday, went really well I'd say. Nothing surprising.

Resume walk through
Post-MBA Goals
Why MBA, why now.
Why Booth?
What is special about Booth's culture?
Tell me about a failure.
Tell me about a time you influenced someone.
3 strengths, 1 weakness
3 things a friend would say about you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Kudos
Some interesting points from the "live chat with admissions" going on now:

- (We knew this:) Nothing will change in your online application status once you interview. It will only change when your final decision is ready. Which leads me to...
- Regarding timing, "We release all decisions via our online application system at 9am CST on December 18th. You will receive an email letting you know your status has changed, and can log in to see it then."
- "The percentage of applicants interviewed varies from round to round, but generally is between 40-60%."
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts