Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Real Estate, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: HBS '17 (M)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 220 Q1 V2
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Had my interview last week. 2 people, 1 only taking notes. Extremely conversational and came away feeling good - not sure if thats a good or bad thing because a lot of current students I spoke with did say they left their interviews feeling like the bombed them.

That being said, very impressed with the caliber of students that I met at the interview day and also with how much effort the admissions staff put into setting up a full day of events. Really makes a difference vs. other schools that get you in and out of the interview - most everyone who had an interview that day stuck around for the full day of events and I think everyone got a chance to learn more about HBS.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I've been extremely lax in posting on this board. But as a current HBS student, who was in your shoes last year, I want to congratulate all of you who've interviewed! And my most important piece of advice is to try not to over analyze your interview once it's over. I left feeling like it had gone amazingly well, and then proceeded to to critique it and doubt myself for the next several weeks until I finally got the admission decision.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
Send PM
When it comes to not thinking too much about the interview that we just had, it is easier said than done. I came out thinking I did well, though I neither crushed it nor screwed up. As each week passes I go through the interview questions in my head and my answers to them including the post interview reflection and think, "oh, I could've answered this one better."

Hoping, praying, waiting. I know others maybe in the same boat and so I wish you all the best! Good luck everyone!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
cocktailking wrote:
When it comes to not thinking too much about the interview that we just had, it is easier said than done. I came out thinking I did well, though I neither crushed it nor screwed up. As each week passes I go through the interview questions in my head and my answers to them including the post interview reflection and think, "oh, I could've answered this one better."

Hoping, praying, waiting. I know others maybe in the same boat and so I wish you all the best! Good luck everyone!

I feel you. It happens. I'm just rather dissapointed knowing what a big mistake HBS made by not granting me an interview.

I guess they're humans too and everyone can screw up once in a while.

Cheers y'all!

J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
cocktailking wrote:

I'm guessing that if you think you did well you probably did well. Changing one or two answers to slightly better versions likely wouldn't make a difference anyways. Personally when I've interviewed people for various activities there's no one question that turns a yes to a no, but rather the overall feel of the person and collective image. If you fit then you'll get in. If you don't or had some bad luck you're still a fantastic human that will do great things with your life with or without HBS.

I think my interview went well too. It seems that HBS has eased up a lot on the interviews and it's not that rapid-fire ball of stress that it use to be (from my own and people I talked to). Thankfully I have the memory of a goldfish so barely remember the questions much less what I said. I highly encourage everyone to forget about the interviews (unless you've got more & need to learn from mistakes) we've already had and focus on decorating for the holidays and drinking peppermint mochas :D I have one right now - muahahahaha. But good luck to all!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
Send PM
Engieer1234, yeh you are right about there not being a single question that makes or breaks you.

With no project deadlines or deals to close this month, I have a nice breezy November and a warm west coast Thanksgiving to look forward to with family and friends. There are always things to be grateful for. Having said that, for those who are up to their necks with work this month consider it a blessing in disguise since you will be distracted from thinking too much about Dec 10.

Ideas for distraction (and trying to be gender neutral): reading, watch movies, shopping, massage, yoga, hiking, cycling.

Again, best of luck to everyone.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Members,

We like you to know about our new initiative - Chat Sessions with Admission Consultants. This is crucial time of the application season this year - Many schools have already sent out interview invites to R1 applicants; few are in the process. We thought this is right time to invite our top admission consultants in to our chat room where you can discuss your questions/queries in detail with them in an informal chat and get helpful tips.

We had the first session of this series with MBA PREP SCHOOL Co-Founders - Tyler Cormney and Chris Aitken - couple of days back. I am posting here excerpts from this discussion. Hope you will find this helpful. The next session in this series is with Critical Square Admission Consulting on Tuesday, 18 Nov. The details of this session can be find at the bottom of this post. Those who can't attend this event can PM their questions to me. I shall try to get answers to those questions from Consultants. Good Luck!!

klklk: Any Tips for Wharton Team Based Discussion?
MBAPrepSchool Chris: Congrats on being invited to the Wharton team interview. Couple of thoughts.
Your individual presentation needs to be prepared but not over rehearsed. This is your first chance to make an impression.
The second thought would be to remember that in the team based discussion, they are looking for examples of your ability to help lead and work within a team. That means not trying to dominate the discussion but also making sure that you're not too passive -- need to find a balance of participation that helps the team achieve its ultimate goal -- of coming up with a strong combined response to the prompt.
Final thought: if there are team members obviously struggling, try to help bring them into the discussion. In a real job environment you wouldn't let someone "drown", so don't do that in the Wharton Team interview either. That's a few thoughts; hope they're helpful and best wishes for success!

Pottsmi1: Do you think schools track visits by applicants? Any idea what impact they may have? Good/bad impression made on campus?
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: I'm a huge advocate of campus visits. You sign-up and these are tracked formally and informally. Our coach Esther who is a former Booth adcom told us these do make a difference. Primarily though because she'd remember someone she met and pull their file or keep an eye out for it.

fede7flores: Hello, I will be interviewing with MIT tomorrow, any tips for a BEI interview? Should I stick to the experiences mentioned on the essays, use only events not mentioned there or balance it?
MBAPrepSchool Chris: Congrats on the MIT interview! The MIT interviewers tend to prefer new examples, since they will have (generally) read you complete application. In any event, even if you were to lead with an example from your application, don't be surprised if the interviewer asks for another example. So I recommend having at least two strong answers ready.
When responding to behavioral interviews, make sure that you focus the answer around what you thought, felt, said, and did. This provides a full dimension of an answer ... Also you might find the STAR framework helpful to organize your response. S = Situation/background, T= task or objective you and your team were trying to address, A = Action (what do thought, felt, said and did), and R = result/outcome ... Also can include what you learned from the experience
Within the STAR framework, you want to focus ~70% of your response time on the "action" piece!
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: Here's a link to our free resources page with interview tips: https://mbaprepschool.com/category/ace-the-interviews/

piku9290dgp: What is admission team view about taking help from consultants? I was asked about it, and I told yes
MBAPrepSchool Chris: AdCom teams have varied views on the use of consultants. Some are OK with it; others less so. The key is to be able to demonstrate in your writing and interview answers that the stories, examples, etc. are authentically yours!
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: They take a dim view of essay ghost writing services of course. But working with a coach who helps you identify and communicate your strengths makes good sense and doesn't violate the integrity of the process.

Narenn: Hello Chris/Tyler, Many applicants have been waitlisted without interview in R1. Could you please advise how can one increase his/her chances of getting an interview?
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: Great question. First off, you MUST follow the instructions given by each school. Some will allow additional info and others won't. Don't ignore their rules. I think the Update Letter can be a powerful tool. Write to summarize things that have made your candidacy stronger since applying. A promotion, new accomplishment outside of work, higher GMAT Score, etc. If a campus visit is allowed and you haven't been then visit campus.
One of the most powerful things you can do is raise your GMAT score, assuming it's at or below median. Applicants with great profiles but weak GMATs often hit the waitlist
In a non-pushy way see if you could spend a few minutes meeting with an adcom. They might say no but if you are friendly they won't blame you for asking. I had a client waitlisted at Booth last year who ran one of the most comprehensive campaigns I've ever seen -- a video, 2 extra rec letters, letters from students, another campus visit. Frankly, I worried we were going overboard. Happy ending though she got in!

Ergen: What is attitude of adcoms to mandatory military service?
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: Regarding military service, I generally think it can be viewed positively -- especially if you gained leadership experience during military service.
MBAPrepSchool Chris: @ergen: Tyler comes from a military family, so he'll likely have more depth in a response but generally military experience provides some amazing experiences and opportunities to demonstrate your leadership in action, under significantly stressful and difficult circumstances. Don't shy away from it -- embrace the opportunity to show your leadership skills

RuchaMegha2083: Can you list some good universities who accept GMAT score range from 580 to 650?
MBAPrepSchool Chris: The question of a "good" university really depends on your career goals and reasons for pursing an MBA. I often recommend that if you're GMAT is in that range that you worry less about the rankings and spend more time understanding the strengths and unique resources offered by the schools you are considering.
Said differently, understand how that school will help you achieve your career goals - and then apply to those that will demonstrably help you!
RuchaMegha2083: I am looking for MBA in Accountancy. I’ve heard that Zicklin school is good in regard of this.
MBAPrepSchool Chris: When you have specialized goals (e.g., Accountancy) then the program focus is even more important. Depending on the type of firm/role you want post-MBA, Baruch College/CUNY could be a fine choice for you

Ergen: I work as a marketing manager in a pharmaceutical company. As an after mba goal I want to show a job in pharmaceutical divison of a consulting company. But I think when I apply to wharton they can ask me why don;t I apply to their healthcare management program. What are your thoughts on it? As you understood I do not want to apply to healthcare management program.
MBAPrepSchoolChris: Regarding Wharton's h'care mgmt program ... as the name suggests, it's more focused on healthcare *management* and your career goals are more oriented around marketing in the pharma industry.
You might find it helpful to "map out" exactly the courses, clubs, research centers, etc that you would participate in if accepted to Wharton. Pretend you've received that offer letter ... How would you spend the two years? Then you can figure out whether the h'care mgmt program is the right focus for your career goals or not. If there are only a few classes within the HC Mgmt discipline that you need to achieve your goals, then you can show that. If, on the other hand, most of your classes would come from their program, then you have to think more about this.

Pottsmi1: How would you rank the portions of an app in order of importance? Gmat, resume, interview, essays, etc.
MBAPrepSchool Chris: All the pieces are important, especially at different stages -- for top schools you can't really have a "weak" section. However to answer your Q directly, Interview, recs, essays, app form, GMAT, GPA

nitz19arg: For an applicant, which current job position is seen as more beneficial: technical role or techno-functional(eg. business analyst) role? I currently work in IT and hold a purely technical role. Will this be a drawback/advantage for me? A techno-functional role sounds better for MBA but—One theory says that a purely technical role would strengthen my skills in that technology and later be beneficial to me when I will play a managerial role in same technology. Your thoughts please.
MBAPrepSchool Tyler: nitz19arg MBA programs want to see how you've done in a role that has aspects of management and business decision making; therefore, purely technical roles are not as competitive, I'm afraid.

dlmm: When will be a good time to let the adcom know that I will be changing jobs? after the interview or before? i have good reasons for this... but my apps are all finished and i am already invited to interview
MBAPrepSchool Chris: Many schools ask you about any significant "updates" during the interview ... You should be prepared to explain the change and show how it fits/demonstrates that you're already making progress towards your stated career goals.

Important Tips from Tyler and Chris

• If there are red flags in you academic history the sooner you know about them the better. Once you’ve identified them, you can take steps to counterbalance poor performance with additional coursework or by tackling professional or personal projects that require the skills in question.
  • A word on timing for tests in light of that questions. Get GMATs, TOEFLS, etc. out of the way at least 6 months before you apply. That way you can focus on your written application.
  • I’m often asked what score is necessary to be competitive for a top tier school. The easiest way to remember the answer is our “Three 80s” Rule. First, you want your score to be well above the low-end of the range of scores made by the middle 80% of the school’s accepted applicants. Next, you want to have percentile scores on the quant and verbal sections above 80%. Third, ideally, you want a cumulative score above 680. In fact, the median scores for top 10 schools has recently climbed above the 700 mark, so the bar is even higher than 680 for a top 10
  • Another excerpt from our free video on building and outstanding application: ‘The topic resumes’ - There are important differences between an MBA application resume and an employment resume. Your objective and your audience is different. For example, an employer might be interested in your technical skills whereas an MBA admissions officer will be more interested in significant achievements and the moments in your career that distinguish you.
  • Start drafting application forms weeks in advance so you have time to perfect any short answer questions

Chat Transcript

Attachment:
MBA Prep School Session Transcript 11 Nov 2014.pdf [759.71 KiB]
Downloaded 114 times

Here are the details of Next Session

Date: November 18, 2014. Tuesday

Topic: The Three Rules for Amazing Career Goals.

Add this Event to your Google Calender

Speaker: Mr. Bhavik Trivedi (Managing Partner - Critical Square)

A Few Words about Bhavik: A story teller to the bone, Bhavik marries MBA admissions expertise and cross functional & industry knowledge as a former strategy consultant to help Critical Square’s clients get into the top ranked programs in the world. What does that mean for you? It means they know where you’re coming from and where you’re trying to go. Their track record speaks for itself and his favorite part of the job is getting excited calls from clients turned friends saying they got into their dream programs! He’s also passionate about helping others and when he isn’t working on client applications, you can find him consulting pro bono for a variety of local and global social empowerment not-for-profits.

Place: GMATClub Chat Room

Timing of the Session: 8.00 AM Pacific Time on 18th November 2014.

At Critical Square, we’re proud of what drives us and the impact we have. We have a responsibility to each and every applicant. In fact, we’ve designed our entire firm around giving you the best possible results and experience! Our commitment to you is unparalleled and we don’t compromise when it comes to your best interests. So what does it come down to? Expertise, passion, and integrity in everything we do.

Check out complete event schedule here

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V170
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I'm analyzing every bit of my experience. It was fast-paced. Not a crucible, but definitely not a relaxed conversation. I can definitely say that at least two questions were meant to test my mental agility and put me off balance. Overall, though, I had a lot of fun and feel pretty good about things. Here's hoping we all see each other next year!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
GavinE wrote:
I'm analyzing every bit of my experience. It was fast-paced. Not a crucible, but definitely not a relaxed conversation. I can definitely say that at least two questions were meant to test my mental agility and put me off balance. Overall, though, I had a lot of fun and feel pretty good about things. Here's hoping we all see each other next year!

Is Dee Leopold as tough as she looks like? It's really impressive you got to interview with her!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
interview this Friday, the last day of R1 interview.

GavinE wrote:

Originally posted by Mourinho2nd on 18 Nov 2014, 11:35.
Last edited by Mourinho2nd on 30 Nov 2014, 14:38, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V170
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I found the whole experience exhilarating--not "tough" or a trial by fire. I think the entire Adcom knows how to keep an interviewee on their toes and how to get real answers from folks. Most everybody I spoke to mentioned how their plans kind of fell apart under questioning. Not in a bad way, but just that the structure of the interview precluded answering with rehearsed, Situation-Action-Result style answers designed to let you convey a brand.

I had fun, I hope everybody else does too, and I hope we can all talk about it in person next year!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM