Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618962 [2]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 179 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 100 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Re: It takes Amy between 6 and 7 minutes to grill a steak, and she can [#permalink]
Kudos
Amy needs to grill 4 stakes
Each steak takes 6-7 min to cook
No breaks
At 6 min ea Amy has 4*6 = 24 min
At 7 min ea 4*7 = 28 min

Condition (1) does not clarify how long until the guests arrive. From this condition alone we know she needs between 24 and 28 minutes to get the steaks done before guests arrive.

Condition (2) tells us she has 30 min and thus enough time to finish the steaks before guests arrive.

Amy will finish her steaks with at worst, 2 min to spare before guest arrival.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: It takes Amy between 6 and 7 minutes to grill a steak, and she can [#permalink]
Kudos
Answer is C.
In worst case Amy needs 28 min (4x7).
Statement 1: Does not provide data when guests are supposed to come. Insufficient
Statement 2: Does not provide how many steaks she needs to cook.

Statement 1 and 2: Amy needs max 28 min and guest will arrive in 30 min. So she can cook before guest arrive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 219 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
statement 1:
We don't know when the guests will arrive.
Not Sufficient, Answer choices A & D are out.

statement 2:
We don't know how many steaks are needed for the party.
Not Sufficient. Answer choice B is out.

Combining both the statements we can get, it would take Amy 6 mins/steak * 4 steaks = 24 mins, and at worst, 7 mins/steak * 4 steaks = 28 mins to grill 4 steaks. Therefore, she will finish grilling all the 4 steaks before her guests arrive in 30 mins.
Hence it is sufficient.

Answer is C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 146 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Statement 1: Amy needs to grill four steaks for her party.

Therefore, it will take her between 4*6 =24 mins to 4*7=28mins to prepare the steaks.
We don't know when will the guests arrive. Hence, insufficient

Statement2: Amy's guests will arrive in half an hour.
Here, we don't know how many steaks need to be prepared. Hence, insufficient

Combining 1 and 2, we can say that she can finish grilling all the steaks needed for her party before her guests arrive.

Hence C) is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Time taken to grill a steak is between 6 and 7 =6.5min approx

1) Total no of steaks =4
total time taken = 6.5*4=25min
INSUFFICIENT

2)Amy has 30min.
Insufficient

combining both statements, one can come to a definite conclusion.

Answer C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC Can you please help with this? All the explanations above mention option C as the answer and i also made the same mistake while solving for this the first time! The correct answer is E not C.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi VQ,

This question is essentially a 'limit' question. It appears that all of the other posters understand that Amy would need between 24 and 28 minutes, inclusive, to cook all 4 steaks. While I think that the wording of the actual question is a bit 'loose', the intent seems to be to ask "could all 4 steaks be cooked in under 30 minutes?" and the answer is clearly "yes" (no matter how long each individual steak took to cook, all 4 could be finished in the given timeframe).

How did you interpret the prompt -and why do you think your interpretation was incorrect?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
The Question asks "can she finish" not "how long will it take her" or she must/will finish...". Thus, as long as she could finish, the answer is definitely YES.
I was going through Manhattan Prep CAT explanation and it had the correct answer as E not C, hence this confusion. Thanks EMPOWERgmatRichC for your prompt response! Much appreciated! I guess its always better to check with this forum !
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts