Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:20 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 570 Q41 V26
GMAT 3: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Bookmarks
it is not necessary to bring anything, I think they mentioned it on an email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
hugoness wrote:
Does anyone know if it it is necessary to bring copies of the transcripts to the interview? I knw other schools ask for this, but I´ve not seen anything about Sloan.

Thanks!

Not necessary. I went empty handed, and it was fine. A few people had brought their resume/transcripts/etc. but weren't asked for them.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you all for your answers! I´ll tell how it goes today.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 753
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Ross School of Business - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
hugoness wrote:
Thank you all for your answers! I´ll tell how it goes today.

All the best mate... :thumbup:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Action Learning at the Boston Capital Market Series | MIT Sloan School of Management.
As part of MIT Sloan’sInnovation Period, a group of Master of Finance students participated in the Boston Capital Markets Series (BCMS). An intensive action learning experience, BCMS allowed students to put capital market theory into practice in the real world. Over three days, students visited a variety of leading financial institutions; participated in intimate chats with high ranking, experienced professionals; and toured trading floors and technology resource centers.

I wanted to let you know about this exciting feature of MIT Sloan’s curriculum, because it exemplifies a key aspect of our programs: learning by doing. A student who attended wrote that the series “ultimately shed light on where all of my coursework fits within the real world. As we pass the halfway mark of the program, any exposure to the professional sphere becomes extremely valuable.”

Learn more about MIT Sloan’s innovative action learning programs. And as always, we’d love to have you visit us on campus!

-Dawna Levenson, Director of Admissions, MIT Sloan

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Hi, anyone going to campus on Oct 24th?

Just want to make some friends and help each other prepare for the interview.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
flyingdragonamy wrote:
Hi, anyone going to campus on Oct 24th?

Just want to make some friends and help each other prepare for the interview.

do you mean Nov 24th? I'll be there. PM me
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just arrived from my interview. Great experience, very conversational, the AdCom was really engaging. I felt comforable during all the conversation. I think I did a very good job. Let´s see!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
did they ask specific questions-behavior questions-why MIT questions as one of the admission video said?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
flyingdragonamy wrote:
did they ask specific questions-behavior questions-why MIT questions as one of the admission video said?

Actually I thought it would all the interview like that and it was only one or two behavioural questions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok, so all the interviews compose of those three types of questions?

Thank you very much for sharing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.62
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
So how did the interviews go for the people who were scheduled for the 24th? Who else is going to be going to the lunch event on Dec 1st?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Round 2 applicant here. For those who got interviews (and I guess anyone else can chime in), how did you approach MIT's application. From the little research I have done, I know that Sloan does not care about your goals whatsoever. The other applications I have done have heavily emphasized my goals and volunteer experiences, but here it seems to be the opposite. Just wanted some advice to see how to approach and what worked for everyone else. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
TwoThrones wrote:
Round 2 applicant here. For those who got interviews (and I guess anyone else can chime in), how did you approach MIT's application. From the little research I have done, I know that Sloan does not care about your goals whatsoever. The other applications I have done have heavily emphasized my goals and volunteer experiences, but here it seems to be the opposite. Just wanted some advice to see how to approach and what worked for everyone else. Thanks!

I researched the personal qualities they're looking for and tried to highlight those that I had in the essay. I found that humility is big for Sloan which makes the personal letter of rec essay a lot tougher than it seemed. I made sure the tone wasn't arrogant and I only compared myself to others when they specifically asked ("how does the applicant stand out from others") - otherwise comparing myself to my past self. The tone of the essays shouldn't be "I'M THE BEST AND DID ALL THESE AMAZING THINGS" but more like "this is how I make everyone around me excellent, oh and by the way you can also see that I'm super amazing but I don't talk about it much" Whereas the tone for my HBS essay was closer to the former on the spectrum. Sloan students describe themselves as much less competitive (than HBS students). The resume would probably tell them that you're amazing anyways. If it doesn't I'd rework until it did. A killer resume and a personable essay is a good combo.

As for content, just focus on the past. Sloan relies heavily on the past to predict future performance in both essays and interview. You're right about the goals. My interviewer literally said "so do you know what you might want to do post MBA?" in a tone that implied he didn't care if I was very undecided. They just want intelligent, hardworking people that will push the entire class to succeed as a whole. I did add two sentences at the end of essay 1 that said my goals. Oh additionally, I wouldn't worry if you can't get every little story into essay #1. During the interview they don't want to hear stuff that was in your essay so just pick your top stories (I did 2, one volunteer & one work) and save the rest for the interview. I did feel like Sloan wouldn't care about volunteering as much...idk why I thought that. But I put it in there anyways because it happened to show bravery (& innovation requires bravery).

But I'm not a Sloan expert by any means nor could I ever know if they liked my essay or just interviewed me on stats and hated the essays so there's that. Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
TwoThrones wrote:

In my case, all my ECs/volunteer work was only a passing mention in my resume. My essays were absolutely to-the-point specific example based write ups on what the question had asked. As for the goals, I mentioned them in a line or two with the flow near the end of my first essay on 'principled, innovative leaders'. A lot of people had put the goals/ECs in the optional essay, but I refrained from doing so since I felt I'm not adding a new dimension to my personality through that and didn't want to make it seem forced.

I must also mention though that my interviewer did ask me about my goals during my interview, so maybe that's an avenue for them to get to know it. But as you said, they don't put a lot of thought to it. For them past success and personality which you can show through examples is more important than something which may even change in the future.

Hope I could help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Sloan Admissions Blog: Happy Thanksgiving
We are nearing the end of our MBA Round I interviews, and as Thanksgiving approaches, I would like to thank all of the interviewees who have prepared and travelled to meet with us. We have met many accomplished and interesting people, and I am thankful to get the chance to get to know our applicants better. Meanwhile, one of our favorite MIT Sloan traditions took place last week. Every year, we host a Thanksgiving meal for each class; you can read about one of our students’ experiences here.

In celebration of the holiday, our offices will be closed from 3pm EST Wednesday, November 26th, through Friday, November 28th. We’ll be back to our regular office hours on Monday, December 1st.

On behalf of our entire staff, I want to wish everyone who is celebrating Thanksgiving a very happy holiday.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
razordude1717 wrote:
TwoThrones wrote:

In my case, all my ECs/volunteer work was only a passing mention in my resume. My essays were absolutely to-the-point specific example based write ups on what the question had asked. As for the goals, I mentioned them in a line or two with the flow near the end of my first essay on 'principled, innovative leaders'. A lot of people had put the goals/ECs in the optional essay, but I refrained from doing so since I felt I'm not adding a new dimension to my personality through that and didn't want to make it seem forced.

I must also mention though that my interviewer did ask me about my goals during my interview, so maybe that's an avenue for them to get to know it. But as you said, they don't put a lot of thought to it. For them past success and personality which you can show through examples is more important than something which may even change in the future.

Hope I could help.

After reviewing other peoples' advice, my essays certainly had a lot of mistakes - I talked too much about my goals, treated the first essay as a "why MIT", etc. - but I think what got me the interview was the sincerity with which I wrote. I was very frank about my faults and very forthcoming about what unique experiences / perspectives I could add to the class.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts