Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: What goes on – Wharton interview report
I opted to do my Team-Based Discussion (TBD) and interview in London with a member of the Admissions office.

It was a benefit to have been through the same process last year so I knew what to expect. And, my group being European instead of American meant that I felt more comfortable in my skin. The TBD on campus was definitely more intense and aggressive …or maybe I was just a lot more nervous last time.

My team consisted of four other applicants (five of us in total, two male, three female). It was a diverse group which I tried to inspire with enthusiasm and drive – the chemistry was OK but not amazing.

I was first to give my introduction and suggestion for a project. I spent 1-2 hours preparing this, but mainly so I had a lot of data to back it up in case everyone liked my idea.

Everyone had clearly spent more than an hour researching their introduction and it took a while to flesh out a workable idea. We chose to pursue another person’s idea which meant the discussion quickly moved away from my chosen topic, so it was good not to be too attached to it.

The conversation moved naturally and politely from person to person. I was conscious that I should not be too silent or too vocal, but it never felt strained to jump in with an idea, some data point relevant to the discussion or even just to say “that’s a great idea, X”.

As more than one person was keeping time and also reminding the team of the main deliverables, I chose to step up once or twice to give a recap of the situation and prioritise our next steps. Consequently, we ended up with a detailed conclusion which I presented on the whiteboard (there was a lot of flexibility on how to present our idea).

The Admissions Director was a lot more strict with time than when I interviewed on campus. Furthermore, my previous experience didn’t involve a formal presentation of our conclusion, whereas it was required this time around.

My main tips are to be prepared for your introduction, and have a lot of data about the prompt so you can throw in facts and figures to support you case. Most importantly, you need to be calm, relaxed and able to change direction quickly.

My one-on-one interview was also more polished and I ended up having a great conversation (again, strictly keep within 10 minutes).

The main questions asked:

• [Country where I’m currently based] must be an interesting place. Was this always part of your plan?
  • What is your main motivation for the MBA/Wharton?
  • What would you like me to remember from this interview?
  • Any questions for me? [I asked about Dean Garrett’s influence and any action points since he was instilled, as well as about specific entrepreneurship and social impact tracks/courses]
  • Any final comments?
Surprisingly, I wasn’t asked how I thought the TBD went (this was definitely the first question last time). I made a comment about it being quite lively but not as much as in Philly (my interviewer observed they are always different and depend a lot on the location).

I definitely came out feeling a lot more confident than last time. Keeping my fingers crossed for good news on 16 December!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Indian Application Disadvantage at Wharton’s MBA Program
Indian Application Disadvantage at Wharton’s MBA Program

Recently I discovered an Indian application disadvantage at Wharton’s MBA program while reviewing their admissions data. I have been busy over the past few months at business school and haven’t been able to post. I am attending NYU Stern school of business and loving it. I have a little bit of free time over Thanksgiving break so I decided to make a little progress towards building my MBA admission calculator. I started by analyzing Wharton’s admission data because I have far more data available for Wharton compared to other schools. This makes it easier to find statistical significance in the model. For example, there are 1,093 Wharton applicants verses 498 NYU applicants. I built a beta version of a model to predict admissions into Wharton, but plan to spend a lot more time working on it before I release it on this website.

The Indian Application Disadvantage at Wharton
In building the logistic regression, I found that the only three variables had statistic significance, including GPA, GMAT and whether the applicant was from India. I was shocked to find a significant Indian application disadvantage, the acceptance rate for Indians was 3.4% compared to 18.2% for Americans and 13.8% for non-Indian Internationals.

Despite similar GMAT scores, Indian applicants had significantly lower acceptance rate at Wharton.

The difference between American and non-Indian acceptance rates was not statistically significant. However, the Indian acceptance rate difference was significant, with a confidence interval of 0% to 8%. This means we can be about 95% sure that the Indian acceptance rate is equal to or lower than 8%. For this analysis I excluded all entries that were missing both GMAT and GPA. If I had included these applicants who didn’t share their scores, then the Indian acceptance rate would have dropped to 2.8%.

I don’t know why the acceptance rate for Indian applicants is lower despite similar GPAs and GMAT scores. It could be due to trouble writing application essays or some other explanation, but I think this matter needs to be looked at closer.

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: What goes on – MIT Sloan interview report
Not for the first time, I met with an Admissions Director in Europe.

We actually had a great conversation.  I had met my interviewer during Sloan‘s ‘On The Road’ event in my home city earlier this year, so we were already quite relaxed in each others presence.

This was a seasoned interviewer and, all in all, a tough person to read. I felt we had a good bond and I could answer all their questions confidently and enthusiastically, so left feeling I had done well.

Specific questions asked (maybe not in this exact order):

• What has changed since your last application? [or since you submitted your application – always be prepared for this one!]
  • Tell me a bit more about [local charity I’m involved with and included on my resume] and what they do.
  • Give me a specific example of your leadership progression while [in my current role].
  • What’s your long-term goal after coming to Sloan?
  • Have you considered which track you’d like to pursue?
  • You will be in the upper age range. Have you considered how you’ll handle this?
  • Anything else you’d like me to know about you? [good opportunity to jump right into a ‘greatest hit’ that has not been covered up to now]
  • Any questions for me?
  • Any final comments?
In general, Sloan gives you a lot of opportunities to mention things important or relevant to your application – be ready to grab those! – but I also think my experience as an older-than-average candidate might be different to the norm.

Sloan is also renowned for behavioural questions which means you may need to go deep into a particular story – way deeper than you might have planned. Have a few good stories to mind and rehearsed in your head before the big day or, better still, practice telling those stories with a friend who can dig into them and really press you for what you felt, how you reacted, why you did that etc.

I really felt my mock interviews with my consultant, alum friends and the bathroom mirror (I kid you not!) helped to prepare me to give concise and passionate answers.

So, that’s my interview reports all posted! I hope it helps you, best of luck with your interview prep and feel free to ask questions either in the comments below or by email.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM My Journey to Business School: When I’m not thinking about applications….
…I’m fantasizing about being in business school! Instead of worrying about R2 applications and preparing for my upcoming Anderson and Tepper interviews, I find myself lost in the abyss of Youtube videos thinking about:

Being a part of the sequel to this video:

[youtube2]p>
Being[/youtube2]

….and generally just day dreaming about what next year will bring and where I’ll be this time next year. I really, really hope I get in. I am just so ready for business school. I feel it in my bones and I just cannot wait to get started.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM My Journey to Business School: Interview Report – UCLA Anderson
I just finished my Skype interview with a 2nd year student at UCLA Anderson. It was super friendly and the interviewer really put me at ease before we started. I think the interview went well. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have a good feeling about Anderson – I hope Anderson feels the same way about me. :D

As for interview questions, they were pretty standard:

1) Walk me through your resume.

2) Tell me about a time you led a team. [I probably could have used a better example here - he asked me multiple follow-up questions on how I did what I did.]

3) Why MBA? Why now?

4) Why UCLA Anderson? [When I mentioned interacting with current students/alumni, the interviewer asked for specific names of students I connected with. It turned out that one of the students I talked to was a close friend of the interviewer!]

5) Plan B if my current goals do not materialize

6) Leadership Style

7) What do you do outside of work?

That was pretty much the crux of the conversation we had. He asked follow-up questions to some of my answers, especially about my interests outside of work. :) I asked him a few questions at the end of the interview and he shared his email ID with me so that I can reach out to him in the future with any questions I might have. It was a positive experience overall, and to those applicants with interviews coming up, I have just one piece of advice – just relax and be yourself. It’s a really laid back interview – treat this as you would any interaction with a current student – an opportunity to get to know more about Anderson and to showcase your enthusiasm for the school.

If any of you would like to talk more about Anderson or have any specific questions about my interview experience, do let me know!

EDIT: People preparing for the interview or waiting for an invite should read this blog by the UCLA Anderson Admissions team. I think it’ll put some people’s mind at ease.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
FROM John Thunder MBA: Kellogg Careers Breakdown
Even though I have not been accepted by Kellogg yet, I am continuing to do my due diligence since I have nothing better to do. I am shocked I have not seen this list anywhere else.

I am extremely impressed with the career survey of 2013. ~750 students with 13% in PE/VC. I took their career survey and tried to classify the majority of the buy-side firms (apologies if I left some out). I also have a worksheet with some notes for myself. I am specifically more interested in the hedge fund placements and saw over 5 hedge funds and most were multi-billion. This is amazing placement, considering how small the Asset Management Practicum is. I do believe the AMP program will be the primary reason I choose Kellogg over other schools if I do get accepted.

It should also be noted that Booth/Kellogg may have better buy-side placements compared to Wharton since there are so many firms in Chicago, and students can work there during the school-year. Philadelphia doesn’t have much…

Here is the list:

Kellogg Firms
Industry

Dimensional Fund Advisors
Asset Management

Martin Investment Management
Asset Management

Oppenheimer Funds, Inc.
Asset Management

PAAMCO
Asset Management

Pacific Eagle Asset Management
Asset Management

PIMCO
Asset Management

First Capital Partners
Credit/Mezz

McNally Capital
Fund of Funds

Alyeska Investment Group
Hedge Fund

Brave Warrior Advisors
Hedge Fund

Bridger Capital LLC
Hedge Fund

Citadel
Hedge Fund

Goudy Park Capital
Hedge Fund

Ares Management LLC
Private Equity

Baring Private Equity Asia
Private Equity

Bratus Capital
Private Equity

Compass Group Management
Private Equity

Creation Investments Capital
Private Equity

Crescent Capital Group LP
Private Equity

Great Hill Partners
Private Equity

GTCR Golder Rauner LLC
Private Equity

Gulf Capital
Private Equity

OMERS Private Equity
Private Equity

Pine Tree Equity Partners
Private Equity

Providence Equity Partners
Private Equity

QuinStreet, Inc.
Private Equity

Riverwood Capital
Private Equity

Sterling Partners
Private Equity

The Riverside Company
Private Equity

TPG Capital
Private Equity

Waud Capital Partners
Private Equity

Wind Point Partners
Private Equity

AMD Ventures
Venture Capital

Ardent Capital
Venture Capital

C lassified Ventures, LLC —
Venture Capital

Dreamit Ventures
Venture Capital

Insight Equity
Venture Capital

Northern Light Venture Capital
Venture Capital

OMERS Ventures
Venture Capital

Qualcomm Ventures
Venture Capital

Shasta Ventures
Venture Capital

Sterling Ventures
Venture Capital

Tresalia Capital
Venture Capital

VIVO Ventures
Venture Capital

Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM John Thunder MBA: Sloan MBA Careers Breakdown
Sloan has one of the smallest MBA classes. ~30% go into consulting. Low single digits even go into investment management and private equity. I was curious to see what firms hired Sloan MBA students:

Sloan Employer
Type

Advent International Corp.
Private Equity

Black River Asset Management
Asset Management

Fidelity Investments
Asset Management

MassVentures
Venture Capital

MFS Investment Management
Asset Management

Norwest Equity Partners
Venture Capital

PAR Capital Management
Hedge Fund

Passport Capital
Hedge Fund

PIMCO
Asset Management

Redstar Ventures
Venture Capital

Wellington Management
Asset Management

Forgive me if I left off some names on accident. This list includes both 2014 full-time and 2015 internships. The list is ALOT smaller than Kellogg’s. One thing I was impressed with was Sloan’s faculty in Finance. However, if I did get accepted at Sloan, I will be taking a real hard look at pursuing entrepreneurship. Potentially having finance as a fall-back.

The buy-side presence is really small here at Sloan.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Nervous Energy
My interview is in approximately six hours and I’m extremely nervous. I don’t know if I’ve ever been this nervous in my life. I know nervousness is good especially before an important event (such as an interview with an adcom member that will directly impact on the rest of your life) but I wish the time would come […]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: My Sloan interview debrief
So I had my long-awaited Sloan interview less than two days ago and it went well, very well but not excellently which is probably why I have not come to update everyone n how it went. My major issue is realizing after the interview that all the questions had a similar theme (teamwork) and knowing that I […]
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM John Thunder MBA: Booth Buy-side Employment Report
Booth is well known for its finance program.

9% go into investment management, 5% private equity, and 3% venture capital. I do believe the Polsky center and other programs help position Booth over other schools with buy-side placements. 17% of the class go to the buy-side (15% of the class went into investment banking). Anyhow here’s the same breakdown of employers:

Booth Employer
Industry

Calamos Asset Management, Inc
Asset Management

Cupps Capital Management, LLC
Asset Management

Dimensional Fund Advisors
Asset Management

EDM Asset Management Limited
Asset Management

Enhanced Capital Partners, LLC
Asset Management

Fidelity Investments
Asset Management

Franklin Templeton Investments
Asset Management

Janus Capital Management LLC
Asset Management

Martin Investment Management, LLC.
Asset Management

New York Life Investment Management LLC
Asset Management

Pacific Alternative Asset Management Company, LLC
Asset Management

PIMCO
Asset Management

Putnam Investment Management, LLC
Asset Management

WEDGE Capital Management L.L.P.
Asset Management

Wellington Management Company, LLP
Asset Management

William Harris Investors, Inc.
Asset Management

Castlelake, L.P.
Credit

Varde Partners, Inc.
Credit

Castle Union LLC
Distressed PE

McNally Capital
Family Office

Abraaj Capital
Hedge Fund

Appaloosa Management L.P.
Hedge Fund

Carlson Capital, L.P.
Hedge Fund

Citadel
Hedge Fund

Copia Capital LLC
Hedge Fund

David Capital Partners, LLC
Hedge Fund

Goudy Park Capital LP
Hedge Fund

Tiger Pacific Capital
Hedge Fund

Tough Mudder LLC
Hedge Fund

Volition Capital LLC
Hedge Fund

Charter School Growth Fund
Non–profit PE

Akoya Capital LLC
Private Equity

Altamar Private Equity
Private Equity

Angelo, Gordon & Co.
Private Equity

Apollo Global, Inc.
Private Equity

Baird Capital Partners
Private Equity

Baring Private Equity Asia
Private Equity

Bridge Investments LLC
Private Equity

Capvis Equity Partners AG
Private Equity

Cartesian Capital Group, LLC.
Private Equity

Catterton Partners Corp.
Private Equity

CIM Group, LP
Private Equity

CITIC Capital Holdings Limited
Private Equity

CITIC Private Equity Funds Management Co., Ltd.
Private Equity

Clearwater Capital Partners, LLC
Private Equity

Concentric Equity Partners, L.P.
Private Equity

Council Capital
Private Equity

Equator Capital Partners, LLC.
Private Equity

Equity Group Investments, LLC
Private Equity

Fireman Capital Partners
Private Equity

Fortress Investment Group LLC
Private Equity

Foundation Capital
Private Equity

H.I.G. Capital
Private Equity

HGGC, LLC
Private Equity

KKR Capstone Asia Limited
Private Equity

Pfingsten Partners, LLC
Private Equity

Pine Brook Road Partners, LLC
Private Equity

Sanari Capital
Private Equity

The Pritzker Group
Private Equity

Thoma Bravo LLC
Private Equity

Wind Point Partners
Private Equity

Winona Capital Management
Private Equity

Acumen Fund, Inc.
Venture Capital

Detroit Venture Partners, LLC
Venture Capital

Hyde Park Angels
Venture Capital

KaszeK Ventures
Venture Capital

Legend Capital
Venture Capital

Lightbank LLC
Venture Capital

MK Capital
Venture Capital

OCA Ventures
Venture Capital

Santa Fe Capital Group
Venture Capital

Scale Venture Partners
Venture Capital

Union Park Capital
Venture Capital

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Follow Up on Wharton Acceptance Rate for Indian Applicants
Follow Up on Wharton Acceptance Rate for Indian Applicants

Last week I posted an article discussing the Indian application disadvantage at Wharton. I received a request to go into more detail about how GMAT impacts the Wharton acceptance rate for Indian applicants. Given that only 5% of applicants identified as Indian and the acceptance rate is low, I don’t have enough data to look at that relationship in isolation. However, I have built a model that can predict what that relationship would be for Indian applicants based off of data from other Wharton applicants.

Wharton Acceptance Rate by GMAT
As you can see, my model predicts that there is a relationship between GMAT and the Wharton acceptance rate. This acceptance rates in the graph assumes a GPA of 3.54, which is the average for Wharton applicants. As you would expect, the higher the GMAT score, the higher the chance of getting in. Unfortunately, even with an 800, the forecast acceptance rate is still less than 10% for Indian applicants.

Wharton Acceptance Rate by GPA
I decided to also look at the relation ship between GPA and acceptance rate as well. Similar to GMAT, higher GPAs increase your chance of acceptance. For the graph below I used the average Wharton GMAT score of 728 to calculate the acceptance rate. Even for candidates with a 4.0 GPA, they only have an acceptance rate of 6%.

After that I made a graph displaying the relationship between GMAT and GPA on acceptance rate for Indian applicants. With a 4.0 GPA and 800 GMAT, the acceptance rate increased to 12%, but that is still very low for such a qualified candidate.

The final question to answer is which is more important to Wharton, GMAT or GPA.I already had suspicions that Wharton cared more about GMAT than GPA, and this analysis confirmed it. I looked at the average candidate (both Indian and non-Indian) then compared the average acceptance rate to the acceptance rate one standard deviation above and below for both GMAT and GPA.

As you can see the slope for the line is steeper for the GMAT than for GPA. What this means is that a candidate who score one standard deviation above average for GMAT will be rewarded more than a candidate who has a GPA one standard deviation above average. Similarly a candidate will be punished more for having a low GMAT. This suggests that GMAT is more important to Wharton than GPA.

The data used to make this post came from GMAT Club and included applicants from 2012 through 2014.

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: Another Test Fire
Today I took another GMATPREP test and scored 690 (Breakup: IR 5, Q 49, V 35). Another failed attempt to touch 700. By the time I finished my Quant section, I thought I would be touching 700 today, but as Verbal part initiated throwing confusing options, my confidence went from ups and downs and I ended … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: Stanford interview debrief
I did not get invited to interview with Stanford (their loss. Yes I know they will get a lot of well qualified and great students who will do them proud. But, I’m the only person that knows what I have to offer), but I have a friend that did and this is a summary of how her […]
MBA Blogger
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: Another Test Fire And School List Review
Today I took another GMATPREP test and scored 690 (Breakup: IR 5, Q 49, V 35). Another failed attempt to touch 700. By the time I finished my Quant section, I thought I would be touching 700 today, but as Verbal part initiated throwing confusing options, my confidence went from ups and downs and I ended … Continue reading →
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [2]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Farhanc85: Oxford Callling!!!!!
This is a scene exactly a year back

Wife: Why are you applying to only ISB?
Me : It's nearby, cost-effective, 1 year and it would be easy to fly down from Hyderabad
Wife: Just to be close to me, you are not applying elsewhere.
Me : Yeah and then there is money too.
Wife: We will figure that out, you apply to Oxford, Harvard.
Me: So these are the names you know that every relative uses and you have seen them in Bollywood movies
Wife: With a sly smile, but aren't they good, they are so famous.
Me: Harvard No!!!, It's a 2 year MBA. Oxford, I don't know if I have that kind of profile
Wife: You have a year start working on that stuff

Fast forward a year:

I was driving and got a text, I usually don't see any text while driving but that day I was expecting the result. Stopped the car, read the text from a fellow GmatClub buddy, he said check your email now.

I checked my email.

Dear Farhan  It is my pleasure to confirm the decision of the MBA Admissions Committee to offer you a place on the 2015-2016 MBA program

I didnt even finish reading the entire email, I read this line and called her. She was much more ecstatic than I was. She reminded me of this conversation a year back. All that moping after the ISB ding last year and after INSEAD ding last month, everything is nullified now.

Next post, I will write my application experience to Oxford.

Cheers

P.S Soon I will migrate to a different blog :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos