Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:10 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [4]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink]
Kudos
@ Jum: could you throw out some figures? What would you say is too early for the avg applicant with 4-5 years of work exp? Thanks.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
it really depends on your priorities. I personally would like to take a break to rest/network/intern before the course.

What I meant was for an applicant with 2-3 yrs of experience it does not make much sense to leave too early because it will place him/her at a disadvantage compared to his/her peers.. but for 5 yrs or so it should not matter a great deal... it should not be very important for employers because they see both kinds year in year out. I think you should just go on that vacation you are planning :-) anyways next 2 yrs would be hard on you!

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Kudos
This is a question that almost every successful MBA applicant faces. From what I can tell from the hundreds of candidates who I have worked with, most quit their jobs around May 1st. The biggest reason that people give for quitting around this time is that they want to spend time traveling and getting their mind and energy ready for school. A few candidates work until the last possible minute as they really do need the money and a few extra paychecks really makes a difference. For a few lucky first round candidates who hear from schools around Christmas, a surprisingly large number quit in mid-January (or right after they receive their bonuses).

In short, each person knows the ideal time for them to quit given their individual life circumstances. No matter what your decision is, it will not impact your ability to get a great job after business school as recruiters will focus on your newly minted credentials instead of the fact that you quit your job a few weeks early.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Kudos
I have thought about this as well as I am VERY ready to leave my job. I am lucky that my boss already knows this...in fact, she is in the same boat so we've decided that if we haven't both moved on to new ventures by June 1, we're getting some nightlock and making a Hunger Games-style exit. But still, I wonder when I would actually leave. I think I'll want have some extra paychecks to tuck away, so I'll probably stay through the late spring. If money weren't important, I wouldn't think twice about leaving a little earlier as long as I felt like I could explain what I did with that time. I'm sure a future employer would understand taking a little time to travel, doing some volunteer work, brushing up some language skills, etc.

As others have said, there isn't one right answer -- you'll figure out what is right for you.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yep, I agree that's the key "figure out what is right for you". Since you already got in, a few months here or there won't make that much of a difference to potential future employers, so if you have an idea (like say you wanna give six months to take a shot at some entrepreneurial idea before you get into classes), why not?? although, as several others have mentioned above, leaving before the summer is most common. It just makes sense for most people, who want to pull in as much pay as possible before they quit and then still leave them enough time to get set up with all the practicalities and necessities of life.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Have a quick question, somewhat related to this

Is there any issue if you quit working after receiving the admission decision? I plan to work until Jan 4th and my decisions will come on the week of Dec 15th. I already know that if I'm dinged by both school I'll be heading to CBS, but I was wondering it there would be an issue when the guys from the BG check call and HR tells them that I no longer work there because I left in Jan 4th. (I'll try to do the BG check as quick as possible after admission but these guys take their time). The reason I'm leaving soon is b/c I want to start a Pre-MBA internship asap.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cheers, J
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:

Is there any issue if you quit working after receiving the admission decision? I plan to work until Jan 4th and my decisions will come on the week of Dec 15th. I already know that if I'm dinged by both school I'll be heading to CBS, but I was wondering it there would be an issue when the guys from the BG check call and HR tells them that I no longer work there because I left in Jan 4th. (I'll try to do the BG check as quick as possible after admission but these guys take their time). The reason I'm leaving soon is b/c I want to start a Pre-MBA internship asap.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cheers, J

It does not matter. Also, please do not resurrect THREE SEPARATE threads just to ask one question.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
QiuYidio wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cheers, J

It does not matter. Also, please do not resurrect THREE SEPARATE threads just to ask one question.

I thought not everyone reads this thread so that's why I ask. I'd like to hear from people that are going to provide some useful information though but thanks for your comments.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink]
jlgdr wrote:
QiuYidio wrote:
jlgdr wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cheers, J

I thought not everyone reads this thread so that's why I ask. I'd like to hear from people that are going to provide some useful information though but thanks for your comments.

Ok

Originally posted by EnigmaD on 26 Nov 2014, 21:41.
Last edited by EnigmaD on 20 Mar 2017, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Get a life
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q45 V41
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Military & Defense)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Get a life

hahaha, agreed. jlgdr's infamy continues. always entertaining. keep it up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:

Thanks for the thoughts,
Cheers, J

What kind of pre-MBA internship are you going for? I think you posted PE but not sure. Are you looking for one through your network/cold calls? I'm interested in leaving work early as well since staying at my current job an extra x months won't do much for my career.

Re your question: I think if you're really concerned you should just tell the school. It's not like you're quitting early to chill so if any flags do come up they'll already know it's not an issue. Maybe just a quick email to whoever the admissions office contact is to cover yourself. Personally I think the BG check will be fine but it'll just make u worry less.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [3]
Send PM
When do most people quit their job before matriculation? [#permalink]
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
Get a life

I really hope you get into your other schools, Julien.

Originally posted by EnigmaD on 01 Dec 2014, 15:34.
Last edited by EnigmaD on 20 Mar 2017, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
Get a life

I have to kudos this because I love the sass/attitude. Dude just had what was a really important question to him. Should he have posted on three different threads at the same time? maybe not. should people have called him out on it? probably not. LET HIM LIVE.
so just ANYBODY can be threadmaster?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.45
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
QiuYidio wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
Get a life

I really hope you get into your other schools, Julien. I really don't think you'd fit into the CBS community. We actually try to be quite considerate of one another.

wow I really hope that's not a sincere wish. Seriously though, let the man live.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I'll get this back on track: Having gone through the whole cycle of quitting early and coming to business school, I'm quite certain that no one gives 2 sh** about when you quit. Go, do what you want to!

P.S. - Just make sure you take WL decisions into account. I had to stall my move because I was WL'd at a couple of schools.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2