Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [30]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 498 [8]
Given Kudos: 98
GMAT 1: 500 Q36 V23
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [4]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: An open-topped right circular cylinder with a volume of 72 cubic meter [#permalink]
davidfrank wrote:
A right circular cylinder of 72 cubic meters is completely filled with water. If water evaporates from the cylinder at a constant rate of two liters per hour per one square meter of surface, how long will it take for 30 liters of water to evaporate?
(1) The height of the cylinder is 2 meters.
(2) The radius of the base of the cylinder is meters.

hi, can you please check the highlighted portion of the question. i think you have missed some value, if not then answer cannot be D. it has to be A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: An open-topped right circular cylinder with a volume of 72 cubic meter [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:
A right circular cylinder of 72 cubic meters is completely filled with water. If water evaporates from the cylinder at a constant rate of two liters per hour per one square meter of surface, how long will it take for 30 liters of water to evaporate?

(2) The radius of the base of the cylinder is \(\frac{6}{\sqrt{\pi}}\) meters.

M07-26

To find the time needed for 30 liters of water to evaporate we need to find the surface area of the top of the cylinder: \(2*\text{area}\) will be the amount of water that evaporates each hour, thus \(\text{time}=\frac{30}{2*\text{area}}\).

On the other hand since \(\text{volume}=\pi{r^2}h=72\) then \(\text{area}=\pi{r^2}=\frac{72}{h}\). So, basically all we need is ether the area of the surface or the height of the cylinder.

(1) The height of the cylinder is 2 meters. Sufficient.

(2) The radius of the base of the cylinder is \(\frac{6}{\sqrt{\pi}}\) meters. From this statement we have that \(\text{area}=\pi{r^2}=36\). Sufficient.

Answer: D.

I have read your explanation but I couldn't follow it. How would the rate of evaporation be expressed.

2lts/hr/m^2..what I mean to say here is that when I express speed 100mph, I mean 100miles/1 hr
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
davidfrank wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:

M07-26

To find the time needed for 30 liters of water to evaporate we need to find the surface area of the top of the cylinder: \(2*\text{area}\) will be the amount of water that evaporates each hour, thus \(\text{time}=\frac{30}{2*\text{area}}\).

On the other hand since \(\text{volume}=\pi{r^2}h=72\) then \(\text{area}=\pi{r^2}=\frac{72}{h}\). So, basically all we need is ether the area of the surface or the height of the cylinder.

(2) The radius of the base of the cylinder is \(\frac{6}{\sqrt{\pi}}\) meters. From this statement we have that \(\text{area}=\pi{r^2}=36\). Sufficient.

I have read your explanation but I couldn't follow it. How would the rate of evaporation be expressed.

2lts/hr/m^2..what I mean to say here is that when I express speed 100mph, I mean 100miles/1 hr

Evaporation rate x is the amount of water that evaporates in 1 hour per square meter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 373
GMAT 1: 630 Q48 V29
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:

M07-26

Hi Bunuel

Sorry but I am unable to understand "two liters per hour per one square meter of surface"
why they have given this information and how to use it to calculate time?

eg. if we are given rate and distance we can find time=distance / rate
could you please explain in this terms, sorry to bother you but I am totally confused.

Thanks
Anupama
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anupamadw wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:

M07-26

Hi Bunuel

Sorry but I am unable to understand "two liters per hour per one square meter of surface"
why they have given this information and how to use it to calculate time?

eg. if we are given rate and distance we can find time=distance / rate
could you please explain in this terms, sorry to bother you but I am totally confused.

Thanks
Anupama

Water evaporates from the top of a pool, which is open. We are told that 2 liters evaporate from each square meter of surface per 1 hour.

So, to find the time needed for 30 liters of water to evaporate we need to find the surface area of the top of the cylinder: \(2*area\) will be the amount of water that evaporates each hour, thus \(time=\frac{30}{2*area}\).

For example if the surface area of the top is 5m^2, then in one hour 5*2=10 liters of water evaporates hence it'll take 30/10=3 hours 30 liters of water to evaporate.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
Dear Bunuel,

Please explain if this is correct? Total time is then = 30/2*area => 30/2*36 = 30/72=0.416 hour?

Many thanks again!

Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:

M07-26

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618768 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Liza99 wrote:
Dear Bunuel,

Please explain if this is correct? Total time is then = 30/2*area => 30/2*36 = 30/72=0.416 hour?

Many thanks again!

Bunuel wrote:
davidfrank wrote:

M07-26

______
Yes, that's correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1263 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
2 Litre ----- 1 m^2 ------1 hour
72 Litre---- 36 m^2 -----36 hour [36 m^2 is the area that can be calculated from either 1 or 2]
30 Litre---- ---------------x

x = (30*36)/72

What is wrong with this Bunuel.

Okay, I can see my error
The highlighted part will be 1 hour only
72 Litre ----------36 m^2-----------1 hour
30 Litre-------------------------------30/72=.416 hour

Am I right Bunuel ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 187
Send PM
Many thanks Bunuel as usual!!!
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

(2) The radius of the base of the cylinder is 6π √ meters.

In the original condition, there are 2 variables (r,h) from rh=72, and we are given 2 conditions from the conditions when we only need one more equations to solve for the variables; there is high chance (D) will be our answer.
From condition 1, we get the area of the base when the height is given. As 2 liters are evaporated per square meter, we get get 30 liters from the ratio to the total evaporated liters. This is sufficient.
From condition 2, it is sufficient as condition 1, so the answer is (D).
There are many cases in which (D) is the answer when condition 1)=condition 2).

For cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with “1 variable”, or “2 variables and 1 equation”, or “3 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance and C or E has 3% chance. Since D is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Haas '19
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 2.5
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Another way to look at this problem in terms if units.

Only difficult part in this problem is to simplify this : " If water evaporates from the cylinder at a constant rate of two liters per hour per one square meter of surface."

So , above information is rate(R) and we know that Rate x Time = Word done.

R = \(\frac{2L}{hr/m^2}\)
==> \(\frac{2L}{hrm^2}\) x Time = Word done(30L)

==> Time = \(\frac{30L m^2}{2L}\) hr

Now cancel out L from Numerator and Denominator and in order to cancel \(m^2\) we need to have area in denominator also so we will divide this expression by \(\pi r^2\) \(m^2\) (Since water is evaporating only from the open top surface,which is a circle)

So now Time = \(\frac{30}{2*\pi r^2}\) hr----------(1)

V(72) = \(\pi r^2 h\)

St 1 : Height is given.We can calculate \(r^2\) and replace this value in equation 1 - Sufficient.
St 2 : Radius is given directly. Sufficient .

Please +1 kudos If this post helps :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Took me a while to understand why we multiply 2 by the area in the denominator.

So for anyone else in the same boat here's what helped me in more clearer terms:

Time = Work/ Rate

Rate = 2litres per 1 square metre of Surface per 1 hour

Work = 30 litres

Therefore Time = 30 / (2 litres* X Square Metres of Surface)

X is what we determine and the missing piece of info.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92902 posts