Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Best Business school laptop 2015 [#permalink]
Kudos
If your Mac is working, just hang on to it. You can run Parallels or another windows emulator for most Excel-related tasks. If you really need to do some heavy lifting, just use the lab computers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I'm considering either the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus or Acer Aspire S7, anyone have either of these? They both have top marks from my research.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Off course you must get a good configured p.c or a lap top to use full features of M.S office. Thee one reliable software to make your all documents well managed and easily available when searching for any old one. I suggest you to shop lap top of brand Dell or Hp to make things easier for you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
ElminaKenley wrote:
A Masters in English

Hmmmm
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Concentration: Strategy, Other
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2017
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.48
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
travisz wrote:
yeah, save yourself a lot of trouble and get a pc.

laptops are commodity, so not much difference. I got the T440s, really like it. A few of my friends got the x1 carbon and they love it too.

stay away from Dell and HP, they are crap.

T440S!!

Got one back in September when my Acer S3 ultrabook crapped out on me as I was finishing my apps.

Great laptop and I'd say the most durable one I've ever owned. Extremely sturdy construction and no software problems so far.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
travisz wrote:

laptops are commodity, so not much difference. I got the T440s, really like it. A few of my friends got the x1 carbon and they love it too.

I have to highly disagree with you. My Dell XPS 13 has arrived last week and frankly it easily outperforms my carbon X1. The XPS has an incredibly bright display, and a much stronger battery. Imo and after some due diligence, the XPS 13 (do not think about getting touch, no one needs it :P ) is currently the best value for money you can get.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: LBS '17 (M$)
Send PM
ctre wrote:
travisz wrote:

I have to highly disagree with you. My Dell XPS 13 has arrived last week and frankly it easily outperforms my carbon X1. The XPS has an incredibly bright display, and a much stronger battery. Imo and after some due diligence, the XPS 13 (do not think about getting touch, no one needs it :P ) is currently the best value for money you can get.

Aww man - I've been eyeing up a X1 but this just threw a spanner in there. I've never really looked at the Dell laptopns - what XPS 13 have you got specifically ? - theres tons on the website!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
gcb09173 wrote:
ctre wrote:
travisz wrote:

Aww man - I've been eyeing up a X1 but this just threw a spanner in there. I've never really looked at the Dell laptopns - what XPS 13 have you got specifically ? - theres tons on the website!

Intel® Core™ i7-5600U der 5th generation (3,2 GHz, 4 MB)
8 GB DDR3L-RS-Speicher, 1.600 MHz, Dual-Channel
256-GB-SSD

Don't get me wrong the X1 is amazing and Lenovo produces the best keyboards on the market. However a friend of mine, a techi who is working with the X1 has complained about the display. He looked into the different options available in Europe now and came to the conclusion that the XPS13 is the best. However, make sure not to get a touch display for two reasons

1) it steels some of the backlight (additional layer)
2) it is a glossy display, which is super annoying cause of the light reflexes

My friend got a XPS 13 also ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ctre wrote:

Intel® Core™ i7-5600U der 5th generation (3,2 GHz, 4 MB)
8 GB DDR3L-RS-Speicher, 1.600 MHz, Dual-Channel
256-GB-SSD

Don't get me wrong the X1 is amazing and Lenovo produces the best keyboards on the market. However a friend of mine, a techi who is working with the X1 has complained about the display. He looked into the different options available in Europe now and came to the conclusion that the XPS13 is the best. However, make sure not to get a touch display for two reasons

1) it steels some of the backlight (additional layer)
2) it is a glossy display, which is super annoying cause of the light reflexes

My friend got a XPS 13 also ;)

Perfect - found it thanks. Actually looks pretty good comparably versus cost.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well as a follow up - I've impusively now ordered the XPS 13 as detailed by ctre - will post some comments when I get it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
I'm likely going with a Surface Pro 3. In addition to portability and the ability to run the MS Office, it also comes with a wacom digitizer. Being able to take hand written notes and draw diagrams in a digital device is a big plus for me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
toocrispy wrote:
I'm likely going with a Surface Pro 3. In addition to portability and the ability to run the MS Office, it also comes with a wacom digitizer. Being able to take hand written notes and draw diagrams in a digital device is a big plus for me.

Holding off to see if the Surface 4 is released end of the month/June?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gcb09173 wrote:
toocrispy wrote:

Holding off to see if the Surface 4 is released end of the month/June?

There were some pretty good deals for the Surface pro 3 and I just jumped on one form Best Buy. I can't think of a reason to justify paying full price for a Surface 4.

I would definitely think twice if they increased the screen size. However, I'm hearing that Microsoft wants to keep the 12 inch form factor because of the type cover.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
I have a really basic question: Is a new laptop necessary?

I mean, in the big scheme of things what is another couple of thousand bucks, but on the other hand, I bought a decent ThinkPad early last year (T430??) and it works fine. It was only used lightly for internet surfing etc at home. I know next to nothing about computers, but I think it should meet the minimum requirements (although I haven't really checked). What am I going to do with an extra computer that works perfectly?

Any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
emilymom wrote:

I mean, in the big scheme of things what is another couple of thousand bucks, but on the other hand, I bought a decent ThinkPad early last year (T430??) and it works fine. It was only used lightly for internet surfing etc at home. I know next to nothing about computers, but I think it should meet the minimum requirements (although I haven't really checked). What am I going to do with an extra computer that works perfectly?

Any thoughts?

Id say that thinkpad would serve you fine! Its not particularly outdated and so spec will be more than fine.

I've got an oldish mac so was looking for a windows based laptop - preferably an ultrabook or something super light as i'll be hauling it back and forth to school.

I know some others have bought surface pros or tablet systems like Lenovo's or HPs as a lightweight alternative to carrying laptops around class all day but think its preference - which might be the only thing you think about but replacing the thinkpad isnt necessary.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Best Business school laptop 2015 [#permalink]
emilymom wrote:

Any thoughts?

I think a lot of individuals, including myself, simply do not have a laptop that is suitable for a business school setting. Imagine yourself going through business school, going to and from different classes, networking events, group project meetings, informational interviews and etc. Having a portable laptop (under 3-4 pounds) with good battery life (8 hours) and strong processing power can make things a lot easier.

I think your T430 is an good choice. Thinkpads have a reputation for great battery life and good build quality. That said, there are options out there that could reduce the weight of your backpack by 1-2 pounds but it will cost you around $700-1000.

For me, I currently use a monstrous 17 inch gaming laptop that weighs around 10 pounds with only 1 hour battery life. It is simply not a good option.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Think we're starting to establish a list of potential options here for this year!

In Tablets 2 in 1's I've provisionally added the Dell Venue Pro as it has an excellent attachable keyboard. In Ultrabooks I've provisonallly added the LaVie Z - costs $$$ but for lightweight portability it looks like could be bit of a winner.

Tablet 2 in 1's
Dell Venue 11 Pro 7000 ($$)
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 ($$)

Ultrabooks
ASUS Zenbook UX305FA ($)
Dell XPS 13 ($)
Lenovo X1 Carbon Thinkpad ($$)
Lenovo Thinkpad LaVie Z ($$$)

Laptops
Lenovo T Series Thinkpads ($-$$) (T430-T450)

Italics - Potential Considerations
Normal Font - Recommended

Originally posted by gcb09173 on 07 May 2015, 09:43.
Last edited by gcb09173 on 11 May 2015, 01:38, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2