Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:18 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: IMD '16 (S)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare
WE:Consulting (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: MIT Sloan Fellows 2016 [#permalink]
chigiwigi wrote:
Has any body else received a call for interview from MIT SF?

I was invited for interview last Friday (Dec 5). The interview was supposed to be yesterday but the interviewer got sick so we postponed it for this Friday. Looking forward to it. I will let you all know how it goes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Congratulations Braceman ! I also applied to both Stanford MSx and MIT SF programs.
I got invited and finished my Stanford Interview couple of weeks back.

Regarding your note earlier related to possible early decision by MIT SF - Can you please let me know who is the right contact or what is process to request that?
Their website does not have anything mentioned related to early decision request.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone,
Just got done with the MIT interview. I am pumped! Best advise I can give you is to be yourself! I know, I know that is what everyone says and it's harder to do when on the spot, but the interviewer (Marc) did a terrific job and making you feel at ease to begin with.
Like many others have said in older forums, know your essays and statement of objectives very well and be ready to answer detail questions regarding it. If you have been passionate about the program and know what you want, it should be no problem. But I was still a little nervous before the interview.
No tricky questions, no "gotcha" questions, and no weird questions at all. So many times, interviewers ask a weird question just to see your reaction, but those same interviewers do not have a psychological background to make any valid interpretation of your answer. No worries about that here. Simple, straight forward, and friendly.

Note: I know that everyone is stressed waiting for the interview invitation, and seeing someone get one early makes it even worse if you haven't got yours yet. They are only interviewing very few before January, mainly the ones that have visited the program. For those having the interview in December, the decision will be made by the end of the year, but hopefully before Christmas he said.

I am no expert, but I have done a lot of research on the program, as many of you have, and had a great visit and interview. Let me know if you have any questions and maybe I can help.

Good luck to all of you out there trying to get into one the greatest programs in the world!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Braceman wrote:
Hi everyone,
Just got done with the MIT interview. I am pumped! Best advise I can give you is to be yourself! I know, I know that is what everyone says and it's harder to do when on the spot, but the interviewer (Marc) did a terrific job and making you feel at ease to begin with.
Like many others have said in older forums, know your essays and statement of objectives very well and be ready to answer detail questions regarding it. If you have been passionate about the program and know what you want, it should be no problem. But I was still a little nervous before the interview.
No tricky questions, no "gotcha" questions, and no weird questions at all. So many times, interviewers ask a weird question just to see your reaction, but those same interviewers do not have a psychological background to make any valid interpretation of your answer. No worries about that here. Simple, straight forward, and friendly.

Note: I know that everyone is stressed waiting for the interview invitation, and seeing someone get one early makes it even worse if you haven't got yours yet. They are only interviewing very few before January, mainly the ones that have visited the program. For those having the interview in December, the decision will be made by the end of the year, but hopefully before Christmas he said.

I am no expert, but I have done a lot of research on the program, as many of you have, and had a great visit and interview. Let me know if you have any questions and maybe I can help.

Good luck to all of you out there trying to get into one the greatest programs in the world!

HI Braceman,
thanks a lot for sharing.
So did they specify that most of the interviews will be in Jan, .
Also could you post some of the questions you were asked.
Thanks a lot and good luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
lm11,

Most interviews will be in January as I understood. As far as the questions, they were all specific to my essays and situation. I am sure they will be to yours. It's hard to give you an example since they were so specific to me. My suggestion is to be confident of why you want to go there and what you will get out of the program, and review your essays.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Just joined! I gather most here have also applied to Stanford?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seadog wrote:
Just joined! I gather most here have also applied to Stanford?

Yes, there is a separate thread for Stanford
Stanford Msx Sloan 2016
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ok - thanks. I've not applied there; just the Sloan Fellows. Interviewed via skype & awaiting further news now. Got the same advise as Braceman did; they will do most of the interviewing in Jan-Feb. The focus definitely seems to be on getting the right 'class mix'.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seadog wrote:
Ok - thanks. I've not applied there; just the Sloan Fellows. Interviewed via skype & awaiting further news now. Got the same advise as Braceman did; they will do most of the interviewing in Jan-Feb. The focus definitely seems to be on getting the right 'class mix'.

Did you go for a visit, also would you happen to know when the Interview invites would be going out for interviews in Jan
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, I did. I visited early November, and I had also met with them previously at an admissions/alumni event. Ref interviews, my understanding is that they tend to get over 75% of their applications within a day or two of the application deadlines. So, given that Jan 5 is the next deadline, they will probably start sending interview invites a week after that. I don't think it depends on where your application stands per se, since the interviewing mostly happens in person, and the schedule will probably be decided by now, i.e. all the cities they are going to. I presume the invites get sent out accordingly, depending on your choice of interview location.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seadog wrote:
Yes, I did. I visited early November, and I had also met with them previously at an admissions/alumni event. Ref interviews, my understanding is that they tend to get over 75% of their applications within a day or two of the application deadlines. So, given that Jan 5 is the next deadline, they will probably start sending interview invites a week after that. I don't think it depends on where your application stands per se, since the interviewing mostly happens in person, and the schedule will probably be decided by now, i.e. all the cities they are going to. I presume the invites get sent out accordingly, depending on your choice of interview location.

thanks for the insight
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Braceman... congrats on your Stanford admit, and I wish you well with getting in to Sloan too. What are your thoughts between the two programs? With your background, I guess you aren't looking at the programs from a silicon vally or Engineering bent... would be interesting to hear your thoughts, and preferences if any!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seadog wrote:
Hi Braceman... congrats on your Stanford admit, and I wish you well with getting in to Sloan too. What are your thoughts between the two programs? With your background, I guess you aren't looking at the programs from a silicon vally or Engineering bent... would be interesting to hear your thoughts, and preferences if any!

Thanks Seadog! It has been a very interesting year for me with these two programs. After thinking that I wanted to go to a Harvard type of program, I quickly realized that the Sloan Fellows program was a much better fit for me (Stanford, MIT, LBS) since I am older (46) and have so much of a different background than most MBA students would have. I was actually excited about LBS until I realized their academic calendar (January-January). That didn't make much sense since I have two teen age children that would go with us to the program and it would mess with their school schedule. Therefore Stanford MSx and MIT SF were the two choices. One really can't go wrong with either one.
I visited both programs and was quite impressed with both of them but realized the stark difference in the "culture" of the area. Not so much of the fellows since most people come from all over the world anyway, but there certainly was a more "laid back" attitude in the Stanford program, at least that is how I interpreted it.
Having lived in both the East and West coasts, I can understand and appreciate both perspectives and could be happy in either.
Having been accepted to Stanford MSx does make me feel a little more relaxed, but for the fact that this is a big adventure for my family, we are leaning towards going to Boston to experience the different culture that my children have not experienced (they being raised in the Seattle area).

My background is quite different than most that apply to this program. I had two career dreams in my life; to be an orthodontist and to be a teacher. I have owned and operated a large private practice for the last 16 years (after 11 years of University studies) and now I plan to start an orthodontic consulting firm with centers in the US and South America. I am going back to school for pure educational purposes and the degrees don't mean much to me. Sure, Stanford or MIT look fantastic, but in my field, no one is going to see that. I want to learn the international aspects of business and have a solid business education to add to my experience. The education I will receive and the contacts and friendships I will make with the rest of the fellows is an incredible opportunity.

So there you have it. I noticed that you are from Sweden. I was just there this Summer. We buy our cars there (Volvo) from time to time and take the time to visit my wife's family in Finland.

Good luck with hearing back from MIT. If you had the interview already, we should hear back before Christmas.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great to hear Braceman - that's certainly a very interesting background. I have 14y of work experience in shipping / energy / logistics & felt quite out of place when I considered the usual programs a few years back. I met with the mIt Sloan Fellows director soon after that & was pretty sure since then as to what I wanted to do. Finally applied this year ... let's see where that gets us.

My wife's been very keen on the Boston experience so that did seal it choice-wise for me. :) I took my Master's in London & we have lived/worked there so wasn't keen on redoing that. Would go back to work in London anytime but not for a course like this. Stanford - I just didn't think much about it... MIT's school of ocean engineering & related transport research & activities are a huge draw for me. I'm sure I'll continue in my industry so this swayed my decision process easily towards MiT.

Good luck to you for MIT - will keep you posted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Warm wishes to all of you for a Merry Christmas & New Years... And to those (incl. me) waiting for news, good luck as well! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I applied to MIT Sloan fellows in round 1, got email for interview on Dec. 5, had my interview via skype on Dec. 10 and waiting for decision! I visited the program in November
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
I applied round 1, interviewed December 11 and received an acceptance email and phone call today.

I asked how many other people had been accepted so far, and they indicated that some acceptances were being sent out this week but that they come in waves/rounds.

Good luck to all.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts