Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q42 V48
GPA: 3
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: 650 at my GMAT vs. over 700 in my mock CATs - should I retake? [#permalink]
gegemdb wrote:
Hi there,

I took the GMAT last week after having studied for a month, and I have to say I was very disappointed. I'm not quite sure whether I should retake it, and wanted to hear your advice.

Preparation
I studied conscientiously every day for a month, with one day break a week. I used mainly the MGMAT Guides, OG13 and Kaplan 800.
I would do one mock test a week (every Friday morning).
The last week before my GMAT, I did 3 CATs:
- Monday: GMATPrep Test 1: 720 (Q45, V44)
- Wednesday: MGMAT CAT6: 690 (Q45, V39)
- Friday: GMATPrep Test 2: 710 (Q48, V40)
I was feeling very confident for the real test. I relaxed on the weekend, and went to my test on Monday.

Test day
My test was in the morning - I'm not a morning person, yet I prepared for it, as I did all my mock tests at the same time the real test was scheduled.
I arrived at the test center, registered and was ready to nail it.
I started with AWA - loved the topic, felt great, finished 5 minutes earlier - score: 6/6
I was very confident for the next part, IR, which went also very well and finished 2 minutes before the end - score: 7/8
I took a break, kept motivating myself for what was going to happen. I was still very confident and motivated the 1st hour of the test.
Quant: 1st question was so easy that I did it 3 times to make sure I made no mistake. The following 6-7 questions were also very easy, had 5 minutes ahead of my schedule. Then it started becoming much harder. I started spending more time on the questions, having less time for the end, and rushed at the end. Finished a few seconds before the end. I was confident though. It was a bit much harder than the mock tests, yet I felt I did good - score: 45 (a bit disappointed here)
I took another break and started verbal, still very motivated.
Verbal: my first 3 questions were only on idioms. I am non native. I am great on structure and grammar, as it is very logical, yet really bad on idioms (either you know them or you dont). I knew my first 3 answers were wrong. I started getting anxious. Yet I kept motivating myself. Then I had a text, hardest test I have ever seen. I still have nightmares about it. Overall, verbal was a struggle, whereas it was a piece of cake for me during my preparation. I would always score above 40, with ease. I struggled till the end, and saw my score 650 (Q45, V34), I wanted to cry.

I don't understand how my scores from mock tests can be so different from my final score.
I did another mock test two days ago, after my GMAT, to see what I had to do (did some Kaplan CAT this time): again 710.
I am really in doubt, and do not know if I should trust these mock tests anymore... I feel they are worthless.
I thought (and read) that the GMAT Prep tests would be the most accurate of all (that's why I kept them for the end), but at the end of the day, I found the real test much MUCH harder than any other mock test I had.

In conclusion: should I retake the GMAT?
What if 650 is really what I'm worth, and that these mock tests are not accurate?
If not, what mock tests would you recommend me?

Thanks a lot!

Yes, retest. The difference between a "bad" test day and a "good" test day for me was 70 points. Take all of your practice tests just as you will take the real thing, lay off the coffee, have a backup plan if you don't do as well on the retest as you had hoped. All of this will keep your stress at a minimum when you take it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey!

First of all, I wanted to thank vestdw EMPOWERgmatRichC and Damian for your messages! It really helped me to deal with the disappointment. I re took the GMAT today - 31 days after my first attempt... and got a 740 (Q50, V40).
I haven't studied much during the past month - only 2 mock tests (bought the Exam Pack 1 by GMAC - got a 730 and a 710).
I think my brain was unconsciously consolidating my learnings by himself. Anyway, the whole test felt extremely easy today!

I think the main differences between my first GMAT and my second GMAT were:
- when I took it: I took the first one in the morning, and I'm not a morning person. I took the second one in the afternoon, and it changed it all!
- coffee intake: I didn't drink coffee for my second GMAT vs. at least 5 cups on my first.
- stress level: obviously with experience one becomes less stressed!

So I just wanted to say good luck to all of you who prepare for it, and never let the GMAT make you doubt about yourself and your abilities.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hey gegemdb

Congrats on your great score! That's great news from you. I'm very glad that you did well.

Learn from gegemdb people! NEVER give up!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts