Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
MentMo Admissions Consulting
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
sagar2911 wrote:
To all those who are admitted, a BIG congratulations to all of you. I can almost feel the excitement and happiness around.
Pushes me to work more hard as i intend to apply the next year.

A simple heartfelt request to all of you:

Can you guys please post the name of admissions / consultancy services you worked with to prepare your applications? I am sure many in the future applicant pool may want to know this.

Once again, congratulations to all of you. You all serve as an inspiration to the many people who dream of getting into HBS.

Thank You.

I used EssayEdge for refining my essays (both HBS and GSB) when they were already 95% written. They helped me with form, not substance. I felt they truly added value - small grammar changes grammar (English is not my first language), use of more appropriate words, more compact writing. Would recommend.

Originally posted by NandoParrado on 15 Dec 2014, 06:09.
Last edited by NandoParrado on 16 Dec 2014, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Winter Holidays - Some Information for Round 2 Applicants
We're getting ready for a holiday break (yesssss!), but we know you'll be busy so...

Our office (and all of HBS) will be CLOSED from December 24 through January 4. We re-open at 9:00am EST on Monday, January 5, 2015.

But, before we go, we'll be busy this week making sure you're all set for Round 2.

• Campus info sessions: 12/15 at 4:00pm EST; 12/19 and 12/22 at 2:00pm EST
  • Campus tours: 12/15 at 3:15pm EST; 12/19 and 12/22 at 1:15pm EST
  • Phone #: 617.495.6128
  • Webinar: Admissions QA (with me) on 12/17 at 12:00 noon EST

We will not have telephone support over the break. We'll be responding to technical application support questions at slatesupport@hbs.edu over the break, but response time may be longer than normal business hours.

And while we don't advise waiting until 11:00am (the eleventh hour!) on January 6 to hit the submit button, we don't operate on a first-in, first-reviewed basis so if you have questions, it's fine to wait until we're back on Monday, January 5.

We've had a great 2014 in Dillon House. We've had two new babies, said a tearful but happy farewell to two long-term staff who have sailed off to next adventures, launched one of our favorites to a new area of HBS, and welcomed four great new hires who already feel like family.

We're looking forward to 2015.

Sending you all our warmest wishes for a safe and happy season.

Peace on earth.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [2]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Guys, if you've been accepted to HBS or Stanford and plan attending either kindly consider withdrawing your applications from other schools - namely Booth and Wharton. Try to make someone else's life easier. Thanks NandoParrado and others for the head start on this

Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
WE:Business Development (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Kudos
sagar2911 wrote:
To all those who are admitted, a BIG congratulations to all of you. I can almost feel the excitement and happiness around.
Pushes me to work more hard as i intend to apply the next year.

A simple heartfelt request to all of you:

Can you guys please post the name of admissions / consultancy services you worked with to prepare your applications? I am sure many in the future applicant pool may want to know this.

Once again, congratulations to all of you. You all serve as an inspiration to the many people who dream of getting into HBS.

Thank You.

I used mbaMission and found my consultant very helpful. I signed up for the complete package service. The service is a little expensive in my opinion, but I can't really complain since I got into one of my top choices! Overall, my consultant was great and I have no regrets using the service.

In addition, I used MentMo to get additional mock interviews in. My package with mbaMission included one mock interview per school. I wanted additional practice with people I didn't know (to simulate the real thing), so I used MentMo and found the students I practiced with were very helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 275 [0]
Given Kudos: 537
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Sloan '18 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 4
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
Guys, if you've been accepted to HBS or Stanford and plan attending either kindly consider withdrawing your applications from other schools - namely Booth and Wharton. Try to make someone else's life easier. Thanks NandoParrado and others for the head start on this

Cheers
J :)

You killed me)))
MentMo Admissions Consulting
Send PM
[quote="MentMo"][size=150]Inviting all R2 applicants to join our free webinar on "Applying to HBS" with Matt Deimund, MBA 2015 candidate at HBS.

Friday, Dec 19 at 9 AM ET.

UPDATE: This webinar stands cancelled as of now. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Originally posted by MentMo on 16 Dec 2014, 06:30.
Last edited by MentMo on 17 Dec 2014, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Have folks received their admission packets in the mail? I am on the West Coast and have not received anything except by e-mail, so am curious.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
HBSHopeful87 wrote:
Have folks received their admission packets in the mail? I am on the West Coast and have not received anything except by e-mail, so am curious.

Thanks!

I also did not receive anything from HBS in the mail yet, and I am located in the Midwest. Do they typically send something?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
It took awhile last year. There isn't much in it. Everything you need is available on the prematric site. You're basically just waiting for the small gift and the piece of paper that proves to you that you were truly accepted and didn't just dream it :-)

jd1616 wrote:
HBSHopeful87 wrote:

Thanks!

I also did not receive anything from HBS in the mail yet, and I am located in the Midwest. Do they typically send something?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V44
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V44
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
A small gift, you say?!?

Now I can't wait for it to come!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello,

I am planning on applying to MBA programs at Harvard, Wharton, and Columbia. I'm posting here because I'd like to know if anyone things that I have a flying chance of possibly getting in. Thanks very much for your help.

Work experience:
Public servant in local government from 2007-Oct 2014. Excellent recommendations, high performance evaluations.
Worked for a federal contractor since Oct 2014, entry level position. Am leaving because I have been asked to make a very dramatic relocation.

Academics:
BS in Computer Science, very good state school, 2012. 3.7 GPA
MS in field related to business but not too closely. Different very good state school. 2014. GPA 4.0
Took the GRE before my first Master's. My scores were 163/163/5.0. 93rd percentile.

Other:
Very active politically. My career goal is to work in business and then, if I have good enough credential, move into politics. I ran for office in 2012, wrote a book with a state senator, and am generally active.
Had a prestigious fellowship during my undergrad.
I have a disability.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Had any R1 applicant who received an interview invite not attempted the so called "optional" essay?
I don't really have anything to write :?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Last year, 10 people choose not to write an essay. One of those people was accepted.
RG800 wrote:
Had any R1 applicant who received an interview invite not attempted the so called "optional" essay?

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '17 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q48 V47
Send PM
RG800 wrote:

Dee Leopold stated in an interview that there were 10 HBS applicants last year who opted not to write the "optional" essay. Of those 10, one was ultimately admitted to the program. Although this means that the success rate of the folks who didn't write essays (10%) was essentially the same as the overall success rate of the general applicant pool (11%), you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who would recommend skipping the essay.

Think of the HBS essay as a chance to add some color to the rest of your application materials. Who are you? Why did you make the career choices you've made? What is your favorite story to tell about yourself? What is the most interesting thing that has ever happened to you, and how did you react? What is something you are passionate about outside of work? You can write your essay about almost anything, to answer any question you want. Have fun with it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q42 V48
GPA: 3
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
peteellen wrote:
Hello,

I am planning on applying to MBA programs at Harvard, Wharton, and Columbia. I'm posting here because I'd like to know if anyone things that I have a flying chance of possibly getting in. Thanks very much for your help.

Work experience:
Public servant in local government from 2007-Oct 2014. Excellent recommendations, high performance evaluations.
Worked for a federal contractor since Oct 2014, entry level position. Am leaving because I have been asked to make a very dramatic relocation.

Academics:
BS in Computer Science, very good state school, 2012. 3.7 GPA
MS in field related to business but not too closely. Different very good state school. 2014. GPA 4.0
Took the GRE before my first Master's. My scores were 163/163/5.0. 93rd percentile.

Other:
Very active politically. My career goal is to work in business and then, if I have good enough credential, move into politics. I ran for office in 2012, wrote a book with a state senator, and am generally active.
Had a prestigious fellowship during my undergrad.
I have a disability.

I have heard that even the absolute best applicants to Harvard have about a 30% chance of getting admitted. This is due to the sheer volume of applicants they receive each year. So if you believe this statistic, then let's go further with it. It's pretty obvious that the only way to have a 0% chance of admission is by not applying. So you are somewhere between 0 and 30%. Your GPA puts you in the top 50% of the applicants, as does your GRE, so now you have between 15% and 30% if your application is average. You have unique work experience, certainly have some life experiences that you can craft into a riveting essay, and I think the disability will be help you because it basically means you are used to being challenged and you have been successful despite it.

Focus on crafting the best essay possible and ensuring that you find a tactful way to play all of your best cards within your application and I think you have a great shot! Good luck, I hope we both get in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
peteellen wrote:

One concern I have is your GRE score. While I know schools tend to be a little more lax on GRE scores because they don't factor them into their profile stats for reporting (yet), the 163/163 GRE only gets you a 690 GMAT score. That's pretty low for Harvard and Wharton. https://www.ets.org/s/gre/flash/bschool/ ... 17302/170/

See this blog post by ConsultingOrBust
https://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... -analysis/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Jobs/internships that you had in college don't hold as much weight as post-undergrad employment. So basically, you have 2 years experience in government, followed by an entry level position for a few months, followed by whatever your next position will be. Right now, I'm not seeing clear progression/promotion in your work experience, something which is highly valued.

Nevertheless, everyone has a shot at acceptance, as long as they apply.

I would suggest you work on how you convey your experience/ be able to tell a good story. Or even consider waiting a year or two to gain more experience that shows evidence of growth and increasing responsibilities.

GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts