Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Calling Urbana-Champaign Applicnts(2015 Intake)Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Anyone who got interviewed by Mark Lockwood? Please share their experience. I have my interview tomorrow...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
ramyavastrad wrote:
Anyone who got interviewed by Mark Lockwood? Please share their experience. I have my interview tomorrow...

Please read the 2016 thread....i shared my Lockwood experience there. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Don't see a lot of activity this time around??

Any guys with the admits and planning to join UIUC, pleas BUG me :woohoo :woohoo :woohoo :woohoo :wave:
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
I've applied in the 2nd round, i guess it's going to take time! all the best everyone!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
I almost lost hopes of hearing from them until I got an interview call in late december. Wonder why it took thm so long when I submitted my app on Oct 5 deadline. I have an interview scheduled in early week of January. Wonder why they didn't consider me fr the Round 1. Anyone else who got an interview invite after their second application deadline of Dec 15th?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I know a guy who faced the same issue but then he contacted the adcoms.

You can do the same, drop them a mail for clarification.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Instead of sending emails, ask your questions here on the forum. The questions you have, are the same questions that your fellow applicants have, including those that will apply to the program in 5 yrs time. Below I answer questions in an email sent to me by one of you guys…

>>>

Hello VoyagerII

I have an interview scheduled with Univ. of Illinois this week. You have been proactively answering queries in this forum, so I am writing to you for some questions. I am an Indian applicant and exploring options to finance my studies. How easy/tough is it to grab a Graduate Assistantship? How much can I expect to earn from such an assistantship?

- Unlike other degree programs, there are generally no Graduate Assistantships (GA) at the masters’ level, the same goes for the MBA. In the US, most (95%) schools do not offer GAs at the masters’ level of any degree.
- Despair not! The majority of students get merit scholarships to cover the educational expenses for the MBA program. The scholarships can cover everything, but they are competitive. Why it is important that when you turn in an application, you make sure that it is the strongest you can manage.

How is a typical day at MBA? Do the program/clubs/Assistantships make the program extremely intense and exhausting?

- The first year/semester of the program is intense, by design. It’s really hard to keep up. I remember my 1st semester:

6:00am – up, prepare for classes.
8:30am -12:30pm – attend classes.
14:00 – 18:00 – group work! They give you many assignments that are group based.
19:00 – 22:30 - Homework! Accounting, which took me ages. Marketing, Econ, etc.
23:00-01:00 – preparing for class.

- I think that once you get in the groove, it is easy to manage. I know of people who couldn’t sleep etc. When you do other activities besides classes, it gets very intense. Because of the amount of group work, even if you are very smart, you will still find yourself stuck…because your other group mates would slow you down.

On a side note, tell me something which is absolutely unique about Univ. of Illinois- any activity/experience/anything about campus or course due to which you would recommend the program to an applicant.

- Illinois Business Consulting (IBC) is a unique feature of the program.
- They also have what they call Research Park, where companies from Yahoo to InBev have facilities employing UIUC students.
- UIUC is a huge university, with top notch Accounting, Finance, Engineering etc programs, the best in the country and the world. That excellence rubs off on the MBA program.

I have a GMAT score of ***, which I believe is on a lower side of my category of Indian applicants. How much weightage the adcom gives to GMAT score? Other aspects of my profile are above average.

- Like other programs…the GMAT is everything, esp. for out of state or international students. You need a strong GMAT score to get in and get a good merit scholarship. I would say that, if you can do it, write the GMAT as many times as you can so you can get the best score.
>>>
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I looking to apply to bschools and would appreciate if you could share any sample essays and LORs.I am currently researching on essays and i happen to read few of your posts.

Thanks!

- I think that the essay is one aspect that you have control over, where you get to stamp your identity on the application. I don't know about consultants out there or books out there that tell applicants what to write, how to write an application essay. My position is that, one should write however and whatever they want, as long as it captures the essence of your hopes and dreams. The essay is a place for your dreams, why i'm applying to this program?, how my experience will contribute to the progrsm, how my grandma inspired me to want to enter into geology etc. The admissions officers should be inspired when they read your essay.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hello,

I scored a 600 on my GMAT which I gave a few days back. I run my own web hosting business which is in its third year now, got some $$ aside so that I can do an MBA without any loans/scholarship etc.

My GPA is 3.5

Do you think it will be worth my time to apply to Illinois business school Urbana Champgne?

Please let me know, I hope you are still active here.

Thanks!

- Like all other MBA programs, the GMAT score that gets you in is wholly dependent on who you are. A 700 might be enough for one applicant, while it might not be enough for another applicant. I think it was shared elsewhere, or I even wrote about it elsewhere... the unfairness of the admission process at all schools across the nation. So...what factors impact your chances of getting in with a 600 GMAT score?

1. Gender
2. Race
3. Nationality

What does gender have to do with it? Well, say theoretically there are two applicants from the planet Montresa [got this from Disney's Treasure Planet (1997)] applying to the UIUC MBA. Alas, only one spot is left, so the adcom can only admit one person, between the boy and girl who are applying with GMAT scores of 600. Given that there are usually less than 15 women in the program, the adcom will admit the girl, regardless of the fact that the boy has superior stats everywhere else. Some could even argue that the boy applicant could even have a 700 and the girl a 600, the girl will still get the spot.

Nationality? Well well...if there is one spot left, and there are two applicants, one from China and another from Montresa, the adcom will move forward with the applicant from Montresa because there are many students from China already admitted to the program. The adcom will move forward with the Montresian applicant, even if our man from China has a 710 and the guy from Montresa has a 590.

My point is that as an applicant you can only compete with applicants from your country, same gender, same race, etc. So...the short of it is that whether you get in with a 600 depends... If say you are competing with fellow applicants from China, smart applicants with 750 GMAT scores, it is impossible to get in. However, if you are from planet Montresa where....then yeah, the 600 will get u in, with a scholarship, full tuition, even a stipend.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Your reply to my query on the thread for University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign was very helpful. It would be of great help if you could share your e-mail id with me so that i can get in touch with you with any minor doubts that i might have about the application process and the college in general. I promise i will not spam you with lengthy e-mails or take too much of your time.

Kind Regards,
S.

- I'm glad the posts were helpful. I check gmatclub regularly, so you can still write me here privately. Personal stuff, will respond privately, but general stuff that can help everyone, I will share the response with the rest of the crew. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys, how many letters of recommendation do we need for the MBA application? 2 or 3? The MBA website says 2 are sufficient while the application portal asks for 3 LORs! I have just submitted my application yesterday with 2 LORs....Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks in advance for your time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
sandesh401577 wrote:
Guys, how many letters of recommendation do we need for the MBA application? 2 or 3? The MBA website says 2 are sufficient while the application portal asks for 3 LORs! I have just submitted my application yesterday with 2 LORs....Can anybody clarify this for me? Thanks in advance for your time.

I turned in two last application cycle. I don't know if the number changed. I will have to check.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
There has been changes to the adcom at the Illinois MBA! Assistant Dir. of Admission Mr. Ben Moreland has been offered a position elsewhere (I don't know where), so he is leaving after spending 10 years here at UIUC. This week is his last week. In his position...he ran the MBA admission office everyday. The presentations, the etc...

I did my interview with him, and he was such a nice guy....sad to see him go. He was so patient, so understanding, and helpful! At my interview back in 2013, I showed up at the Illini Center without an updated resume, I apologized....but he just brushed that aside and said not to worry. Long after I got admitted, strange stuff happened, but Mr. Moreland always told me it's ok...even when I broke the matriculation rules etc. He was a great guy. A shame that some of you will apply when he is gone...you won't find a gentle, passionate, caring, nice, awesome, cool, great, soul than him! Wishing you the best Mr. Moreland.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Has anyone heard anything from the college?
I haven't heard a word from them after submitting my application on the 15th of December :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I have a GMAT score of 560 (Q44, V24) , which I believe is on a lower side of my category of Indian applicants. How much weightage the adcom gives to GMAT score? Other aspects of my profile are above average. A gist of my profile:
Nationality : Indian
GMAT score : 560 (Q44, V24)
TOEFL: 101/120
Undergraduation in : B.Tech (Information Technology)
GPA: approx 3.5 (70.22/100)
Work Experience : will complete 24 months in IBM India Pvt Ltd.
Achievments: Volunteer for Art of Living Institution, avid half marathon runner, organised events for college Technical Events, Air rifle shooter (mediocre level),received an award("Rising Star") from Employer Management for management for my hard work and dedication.

What are my chances getting into this University without scholarship? ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Has any one heard from the college? Anything? Submitted my application on 8th January.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
risch wrote:
Has anyone heard anything from the college?
I haven't heard a word from them after submitting my application on the 15th of December :(

Adcom members on break! The members should all be back starting Jan 12. So yep, basically zero decisions made between Dec 20-Jan 11 (winter break).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts