Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sloan '17 (M)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Directory of MBA Applicant Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Scott Duncan: Accepted at Sloan, Waitlisted at Kellogg
Wow! After a long time of nothing to talk about, finally I have some news:

I was accepted at MIT Sloan and waitlisted at Kellogg.

That’s all for now, I have some celebrating to do

The post Accepted at Sloan, Waitlisted at Kellogg appeared first on Scott Duncan.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM My Journey to Business School: And then there was one.
UCLA Anderson was the only other school I was waiting to hear from, and I really wanted to know if I got in before making a decision on where to attend school. I got the call last night- I’M IN!

They were very generous with a scholarship as well! I haven’t received the official update via email yet, so I’ll wait for that before I post anything out here.

But it’s time for me to CELEBRATE!! :D :D

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: In search of 7_0
Finally, a score that I would like to see on the GMAT. 720!! Split 49, 40!! 9 wrong in quant and 8 in verbal. Though the score is good, the matter of concern is only RC. Out of 8 wrongs, 6 were from RC. Surprisingly, no wrong from SC. I was not feeling out of time in … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT 2: 650 Q45 V32
GMAT 3: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
FROM Naija MBA Gal: My Dilemma
I have a big problem. It’s a good problem but a problem  nonetheless. I can’t decide whether to pursue Sloan’s waitlist or not. Here’s the issue: My personality is a great fit with Booth. If I wanted anything but entrepreneurship I’d have dropped Sloan without a backward glance. But Sloan is a great school for […]
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [0]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
FROM GNPTH: The festival season is here & Congrats to my fellow bloggers who got accepted!!
It’s been a long time since i posted!!!

It feels good to be back in town. I had a wonderful to trip to United States of America. Hope there is more to come in future and ultimately, i wanted to join one of my favorite B-Schools. During this trip, i had the privilege to meet my colleagues and work with them. It was wonderful to meet those people whom you contact/ converse via Lync or Mails daily.

Though it was a short trip, I really enjoyed alot in an extend where i even forgot that i’m preparing for GMAT. I did not have time or rather i should say, i was not in a mood to prepare during my travel. I even had a chance to meet my sister almost after 7 months. I had to travel to Detroit over the weekends to meet her and play with my niece. I would say, this was my best trip officially.

Now that I’m back. It’s time to start preparing for my GMAT. Actually I’m in no hurry to take it as i planned to be part of class 2018. But I’ll be taking my GMAT by 2nd week of March 2015 Max. So that I can plan or work my profile and get ready to apply for my target B-schools.

I also wanted to congrats my fellow applicants- TopDog, Naija MBA Gal, Vandana, Hugo, Grant Me Admission & TheEngineerMBA who got accepted to their target B-Schools.

And finally i wish the following for all the people who are reading my blog.

1. May your Christmas be filled with lots of happiness, peace, Love and lots of presents!!!

2. And this new year-2015- May fulfill all your wishes and dreams and may you feel this happiness all year round!!

Until next time,

Balaji.

MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: NTU '19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM Pro GMAT: They won it!
Its been a busy month for all, since few of my friends got admitted who were waiting eagerly for the admissions decision and few are still fighting for the gmat (this group includes me as well). Congratulations to Vandana, NaijaMBAgal, TopDogMBA, GrantMeAdmission, under prescription and others (sorry, if I missed someone. Please make your presence … Continue reading →
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
FROM Scott Duncan: Five things I did differently that earned me an acceptance at a top MBA program
As I have have mentioned before, last year I was rejected by five top MBA programs. This year, something changed. I have been accepted by MIT Sloan, waitlisted at Kellogg, and my application is under further consideration at HBS. Already a big difference!

Although going through this process a year ago definitely made it easier for me this time around, there were five key differences this year that I think made the difference between success and another year of failure.

1. I worked with what I had
You can’t change what you can’t change. Last year, I was full of self-doubt. I didn’t go to an Ivy-League school. I didn’t have a 4.0 GPA. I didn’t work at a brand-name firm. I knew that this is the profile that I was applying with, but for some reason I let that get in the way. It enabled me to procrastinate on my applications, and I’m sure the self-doubt came through in my essays and in my interviews.

This year, I didn’t see these elements of my application as weaknesses. Instead, I knew that these were things I couldn’t change, and knowing that my background was fixed was actually liberating. Not looking into the past enabled me to focus on completing my application and telling my story in the best light possible. Which leads me to my next point:

2. I owned my story
Last year, I had a concrete line of reasoning as to why I needed an MBA from a top program. But if you asked me to explain why, I wouldn’t have been able to articulate it very well. This was common for a lot of different pieces of my background.

Why did you become an engineer?

Why do you work in the medical device industry?

Why [this] school?

I had vague ideas of why I made the decisions I did in my education and career and a better idea of what I expected from a top MBA program, but saying them out loud and off the cuff was difficult. It was only through a painful process of self-reflection that I was able to effectively communicate the thoughts that had been bouncing around inside of my head for years.

3. I let go of perfectionism
Why did I struggle with articulating my story in the first place? Perfectionism. I was so worried about saying the right thing or saying the magic words that the adcom wanted to hear that I let it get in the way of effectively communicating. Have you gotten your application to the 90% mark and struggled to get it over the finish line? Have you stared blankly at a blank page, trying to think of what to write? I feel your pain, and I realized that there are no magic words. Is changing this sentence structure really going to make the difference between getting in and being rejected. I would hope not. Letting go of perfectionism allowed me to get over the “make work” of my application and focus on the things that really matter – what points I want to communicate, why those points are important, and how to communicate them most effectively.

4. I increased my GMAT score
With a GMAT score of 680 last year, I was in the 80% range for most of the schools I was applying to. But, this was still a risk on my application since it was at least 30 points below the averages for many top schools. So, I took 4 weeks to study (again), focused on what I was doing wrong and not what I was doing right, and took the GMAT again, scoring a 710. It was hard for me to admit that quant was a weakness (c’mon I’m an engineer, I’m supposed to be good at this!) but drilling through the easy stuff I was getting wrong really moved the needle.

5. I relaxed
The combination of 1-4 allowed me to approach my applications in a different state of mind this year. Last year I was frazzled. Stressed. Confused. Not exactly an ideal state to be in when applying. Having been through the process a year earlier helped, but overall, this year I knew much more about what I wanted, why I wanted it, and how to tell that story to someone else.

Conclusion
All those rejections last year made me re-think a lot, but there is no question that it strengthened my application. I couldn’t be more thrilled with how this year turned out.

Are you struggling with any of the points I mentioned?

Subscribe Now!

I value your privacy and would never spam you. Unsubscribe at any time.

The post Five things I did differently that earned me an acceptance at a top MBA program appeared first on Scott Duncan.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
FROM MBA Data Guru: Cornell MBA Acceptance Rate Analysis
Cornell MBA Acceptance Rate Analysis

Many MBA applicants wonder what their chances of getting into a top school is. This analysis looks at Cornell MBA acceptance rate based on data such as GMAT, GPA, undergraduate major, and age at application. The average acceptance rate at Cornell’s Johnson Graduate School of Management is 22%, which is higher than all of the schools in the top 10 but lower than many of the schools ranked 11 to 20.

Cornell MBA Acceptance Rate by GMAT

As you would expect, GMAT has a high impact on Cornell MBA acceptance rate. Theaverage GMAT for the Cornell MBA class of 2016 is 700. Although GMAT does affect Cornell MBA acceptance rate, GMAT has a smaller importance than other schools such as Kellogg. Increasing your GMAT score by 30 points raises your chance of admission by 5% at Kellogg but only by 2% at Cornell.

Cornell MBA Acceptance Rate by GPA
Strangely enough it appears that GPA has little to no impact on your acceptance rate at Johnson. When I ran the logistic regression, GPA was the first variable I eliminated. Even at Stanford, GPA wasn’t eliminated until almost at the end. This suggests to me that Cornell really doesn’t care about GPA. If you have a low GPA and a high GMAT, then you should be applying to Cornell for the highest chance of admission. The average GPA from my data set, which came from GMAT Club, was 3.40 for both accepted and for declined applicants.

Cornell MBA Acceptance Rate by Age

Although your GPA doesn’t matter to Cornell, the age at which you apply does matter. Similar to other schools, such as NYU, the age at which you apply does impact your chance of admission. Cornell prefers candidates who are close to the average age of around 27 or 28. The further you deviate from this average age, the lower your chances of admission are. I believe that the schools do this for two reasons. The first is that young people don’t have as much work experience, so they tend to have less to contribute to the conversation in class. At the other end, candidates that are too old are harder to place in  recruiting because companies wonder why someone who is so old is getting an MBA. I have noticed that the women in my program tend to be younger on average than the men. I imagine that the admissions department will give women a little more leeway on applying younger because some women want to finish their MBA before they start a family.

Other Factors that Impact Acceptance Rate
Candidates who apply while living in India have a lower acceptance rate, while those applying while in the US have a higher admission rate. Applicants who majored in engineering during their undergraduate program have a lower acceptance rate. The admission rate for applicants who are currently working in manufacturing is significantly lower than anyone else.

Good luck with your applications!

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
FROM MBA Data Guru: Duke MBA Acceptance Rate Analysis
Duke MBA Acceptance Rate Analysis

Duke’s Fuqua School of Business is one of the top 20 MBA programs in the US. The Duke MBA acceptance rate is 25%, which means that any applicant accepted should be proud of themselves. The next question is obviously what characteristics does the Duke admissions committee look for in Fuqua applicants? Not only are GMAT and GPA important factors that will impact your admissions, but also your age and the round you apply in will affect your chance of being accepted.

Duke MBA Acceptance Rate by GMAT

The average Duke applicant has a GMAT of 690, several points lower than the 697 for accepted candidates. As expected the acceptance rate increases as an applicants GMAT rises. The graph above shows Duke MBA acceptance rate by GMAT for the average applicant with a GPA of 3.35.

Duke MBA Acceptance Rate by GPA

Unlike schools such as Stanford and Cornell, GPA does affect Duke MBA acceptance rate. The average applicant has a GPA of 3.35, however accepted applicant’s GPA is slightly higher. Above you can see the admission rate by GPA at Fuqua.

Duke MBA Acceptance Rate GMAT vs. GPA

Now that you know that GMAT and GPA both matter to Duke, the next question is which is more important. My admissions analysis shows that Duke prefers GMAT over GPA*. A high score on the GMAT will increase Duke MBA acceptance rate from 25% to 30%. However, a high GPA only increases your chance of admission at Duke to 28%. For applicants with a high GMAT and low GPA, Duke is a good school at which to apply. For example an applicant with a 750 GMAT and 3.0 GPA has a 29% chance of getting into Duke.

Duke MBA Acceptance Rate GMAT vs. GPA

Similar to other schools such as Stern, age impacts acceptance rate. Applicants who are around 27 to 28 have the highest chance of being accepted at Duke, while older and younger candidates have lower odds of being admitted. My hypothesis is that younger applicants don’t bring as much work experience to the class room discussion while older applicants are hard to place at top companies during on campus recruiting.

Duke MBA Acceptance Rate by Round

I looked into how application round affected your chance of admission at Duke, and it was not statistically significant. Even the low round 3 acceptance rate cannot be confirmed as accurate because of low volume. Don’t worry too much about applying first or second round, but you may want to avoid round 3 just to be safe.

Other Factors Affecting Acceptance Rate
People applying from India had a significantly lower chance of admissions, while applicants from the US had a higher acceptance rate at Duke. Applicants who majored in business had a slightly lower admission rate. Military applicants had an astonishingly high acceptance rate of 50%. So all you veterans out there should strongly consider applying to Duke.

The data used for this analysis comes from GMAT Club.

*For GMAT vs. GPA comparison a high score is defined by one standard deviation above the average GMAT or GPA.

MBA Data Guru - Data and analytics that will help you in the MBA admissions process
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
FROM Pulling That MBA Trigger: GMAT done, dusted and cancelled. 700 (49Q, 38V)
So I guess the title says it all. I knew the Quant section went well, wasn’t too sure about the Verbal but yeah, clearly didn’t go as expected! I’m not too disappointed because I knew this was a long shot. It would have been nice to be applying with a higher GMAT but now that it’s done, I guess I’ll just focus on the other parts of the application! I cancelled the score right away and didn’t report them, so my 710 still stands.

In other news, I’m travelling for about a week! It’s gonna be a welcome break from the GMAT insanity. Hopefully this will give me the time I need to clear my head and kill my essays. After I come back it’s gonna be an avalanche of deadlines so I’ll need all the rest I can get!

Happy holidays everyone!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [2]
Send PM
Kudos