Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:21 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
I spoke with Wharton admissions today to see if the merit based fellowships are negotiable and I was told very nicely that they have a policy that they will NOT negotiate them.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [1]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Kudos
Who's the threadmaster? Can we please create a thread for Waitlisted candidates. Let's see if we can get something out of this situation

Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Hi guys.

Does anyone know if the school sends an email to the recommenders stating the applicant's admission decision?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Waitlisted too. Instructions from Wharton are pretty clear though (see below).

Waitlist: Candidates can expect to remain on the waitlist until the following round of decisions are released. There is no rank order to the waitlist. We are unable to offer feedback to candidates while they remain on the list. We are also unable to accept additional materials for inclusion in a waitlisted applicant's file. This policy is designed to create an admissions process that is fair and equitable for all candidates.

https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... isions.cfm

Look forward to joining you guys on the 'Wharton Class of 2017 Waitlisted' thread in due course! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: LBS '18 (S)
Send PM
dinged :(
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Send PM
TopDogMBA wrote:
Waitlisted too. Instructions from Wharton are pretty clear though (see below).

Waitlist: Candidates can expect to remain on the waitlist until the following round of decisions are released. There is no rank order to the waitlist. We are unable to offer feedback to candidates while they remain on the list. We are also unable to accept additional materials for inclusion in a waitlisted applicant's file. This policy is designed to create an admissions process that is fair and equitable for all candidates.

https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... isions.cfm

Look forward to joining you guys on the 'Wharton Class of 2017 Waitlisted' thread in due course! :)

Yeah, I read this too. Each school has its ways on the waitlist, guess there's not much we can do but wait until March....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Slybaker wrote:
engineer1234 wrote:
Slybaker wrote:
Anyone know what the average Wharton merit-based fellowship is? Granted that I'd like to work overseas after graduation, I'm trying to save all I can since I'm looking at a steep pay cut relative to US-based grads...don't want to be either naive or greedy.

If you got one you should already know how much it's for, no? I didn't get one though so idk

Yep, I did (and am very, very grateful for what was given!), but have heard stories of negotiating for very large fellowships ($30K+) so was wondering if those were real or myths!

They are real. Poets and Quants posted a couple of articles recently on that topic. It might be worth taking a look at those. link: https://poetsandquants.com/category/admissions/.
Assuming it is positioned correctly/handled delicately, I don't think it hurts to ask for more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
so many waitlisters, what!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Send PM
corpdevtoM7 wrote:

Yeah, but remember we compete with our own buckets so not a big deal. I'm just really impressed with the number of female wharton accepts each round. Makes me feel at a huge disadvantage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Is there a thread yet for waitlisted applicants?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
corpdevtoM7 wrote:

Yeah, but remember we compete with our own buckets so not a big deal. I'm just really impressed with the number of female wharton accepts each round. Makes me feel at a huge disadvantage.

Why would you have a disadvantage?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
jlgdr wrote:
corpdevtoM7 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand. Why does a high number of women getting in automatically mean that Wharton is biasing itself against male applicants?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Yeah, but remember we compete with our own buckets so not a big deal. I'm just really impressed with the number of female wharton accepts each round. Makes me feel at a huge disadvantage.[/quote]

Why would you have a disadvantage?[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand. Why does a high number of women getting in automatically mean that Wharton is biasing itself against male applicants?[/quote]

People get in off waitlist bc after reviewing R2, wharton realizes there are not enough matriculants from a particular bucket and call WLers in that bucket to fill seats. It's safe to assume that there will be a large volume of competitive non-URM male banker/consultant applicants in R2 i.e. Wharton will not need to reach to WL to fill seats in this bucket. Clearly, the more female seats wharton wants to fill the more likely a female will be to be pulled off WL.

I'm interested in seeing how many non-URM male traditional candidates are called from waitlist...my gut is that WL admits are diversity (demographics/work experience)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is admit/ding summary of Wharton round 1 applicants . (Based on applicants’ profile updates)
Total Applicants: 477
Admitted: 50
Waitlisted: 23
Denied: 116
Unknown Decisions: 288

A humble request to all round one applicants, please update your GMATClub profile status.
Show your application status in the compilation of all 2015 Intake Admit/Ding results 2015-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-176967.html
Admitted applicants’ discussion thread wharton-class-of-2017-calling-all-admitted-students-190417.html
Waitlisted applicants’ discussion thread calling-all-waitlisters-wharton-class-of-190337.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [4]
Given Kudos: 39
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
corpdevtoM7 wrote:

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand. Why does a high number of women getting in automatically mean that Wharton is biasing itself against male applicants?

People get in off waitlist bc after reviewing R2, wharton realizes there are not enough matriculants from a particular bucket and call WLers in that bucket to fill seats. It's safe to assume that there will be a large volume of competitive non-URM male banker/consultant applicants in R2 i.e. Wharton will not need to reach to WL to fill seats in this bucket. Clearly, the more female seats wharton wants to fill the more likely a female will be to be pulled off WL.

I'm interested in seeing how many non-URM male traditional candidates are called from waitlist...my gut is that WL admits are diversity (demographics/work experience).

If Wharton knows the target % of females they want in the class, I'm sure the WL reflects that same %. Meaning, from a numbers standpoint, there will be more 'traditional candidates' who decline wharton than those from 'non-traditional' backgrounds. That will probably mean more people who come off the WL are from the 'traditional bucket.'

Also, jlgdr's message of this making him (assuming he is a male) feel he has a huge disadvantage is a bit comical. Women are the ones who have a true disadvantage in business school and in the business world. The focus on increasing the number of women in bschools is to help fix this problem. For someone to say they, as a male, are at a huge disadvantage, is bullshit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [4]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Kudos
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
corpdevtoM7 wrote:

I'm interested in seeing how many non-URM male traditional candidates are called from waitlist...my gut is that WL admits are diversity (demographics/work experience).

If Wharton knows the target % of females they want in the class, I'm sure the WL reflects that same %. Meaning, from a numbers standpoint, there will be more 'traditional candidates' who decline wharton than those from 'non-traditional' backgrounds. That will probably mean more people who come off the WL are from the 'traditional bucket.'

Also, jlgdr's message of this making him (assuming he is a male) feel he has a huge disadvantage is a bit comical. Women are the ones who have a true disadvantage in business school and in the business world. The focus on increasing the number of women in bschools is to help fix this problem. For someone to say they, as a male, are at a huge disadvantage, is bullshit.

jlgdr has posted a number of offensive and insensitive remarks across the boards over the last several months (though most often they're just inane). In his capacity as Booth threadmaster, he's also demonstrated a propensity for lying and censorship. It would be constructive if there was a way by which the boards could remedy this, as I feel it has detracted from the atmosphere and community in general.

Originally posted by Cabal on 23 Dec 2014, 14:45.
Last edited by Cabal on 23 Dec 2014, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Cabal wrote:
MBAUnderDOG wrote:
corpdevtoM7 wrote:

jlgdr has posted a number of offensive and insensitive remarks across the boards over the last several months (though most often they're just inane). In his capacity as Booth threadmaster, he's also demonstrated a propensity for lying and censorship. It would be constructive if there was a way by which the boards could remedy this, as I feel is has detracted from the atmosphere and community in general.

I 100% attest to this. Jlgdr behavior here is terrible - his worst stuff isn't even seen anymore because he self-censors later. Can't believe he might be joining CBS, though I guess Adcoms are not perfect. Now if there might only be a way to get CBS to rescind his offer...

Funny enough he works at a company called ASSystem.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  27   28   29   30   31   32   33  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts