Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [714]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [262]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 212 [124]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [53]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Re: Inequalities trick [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
vjsharma25 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
vjsharma25 wrote:

How you have decided on the first sign of the graph?Why it is -ve if it has three factors and +ve when four factors?

Check out my post above for explanation.

I understand the concept but not the starting point of the graph.How you decide about the graph to be a sine or cosine waveform?Meaning graph starts from the +ve Y-axis for four values and starts from -ve Y-axis for three values.
What if the equation you mentioned is (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)<0,will the last two ranges be excluded or the graph will also change?

I always struggle with this as well!!!

There is a trick Bunuel suggested;

(x+2)(x-1)(x-7) < 0

Here the roots are; -2,1,7
Arrange them in ascending order;

-2,1,7; These are three points where the wave will alternate.

The ranges are;
x<-2
-2<x<1
1<x<7
x>7

Take a big value of x; say 1000; you see the inequality will be positive for that.
(1000+2)(1000-1)(1000-7) is +ve. Thus the last range(x>7) is on the positive side.

Graph is +ve after 7.
Between 1 and 7-> -ve
between -2 and 1-> +ve
Before -2 -> -ve

Since the inequality has the less than sign; consider only the -ve side of the graph;

1<x<7 or x<-2 is the complete range of x that satisfies the inequality.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [41]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
if = sign is included with < then <= will be there in solution
like for (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)(x-4) <=0 the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4<= x <= 7

in case when factors are divided then the numerator will contain = sign

like for (x + 2)(x - 1)/(x -4)(x - 7) < =0
the solution will be -2 <= x <= 1 or 4< x < 7
we cant make 4<=x<=7 as it will make the solution infinite

correct me if i am wrong
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16833 [29]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Just came across this useful discussion.

VeritasPrepKarishma has given a very lucid explanation of how this “wavy line” method works. :)

I have noticed that there is still a little scope to take this discussion further. So here are my two cents on it.

I would like to highlight an important special case in the application of the Wavy Line Method

When there are multiple instances of the same root:

Try to solve the following inequality using the Wavy Line Method:

\((x-1)^2(x-2)(x-3)(x-4)^3 < 0\)

To know how you did, compare your wavy line with the correct one below.

Did you notice how this inequality differs from all the examples above?

Notice that two of the four terms had an integral power greater than 1.

How to draw the wavy line for such expressions?

Let me directly show you how the wavy line would look and then later on the rule behind drawing it.

Attachment:
File comment: Observe how the wave bounces back at x = 1.
bounce.png
bounce.png [ 10.4 KiB | Viewed 15139 times ]

Notice that the curve bounced down at the point x = 1. (At every other root, including x = 4 whose power was 3, it was simply passing through them.)

Can you figure out why the wavy line looks like this for this particular inequality?

(Hint: The wavy line for the inequality

\((x-1)^{38}(x-2)^{57}(x-3)^{15}(x-4)^{27} < 0\)

Is also the same as above)

Come on! Give it a try. :)

If you got it right, you’ll see that there are essentially only two rules while drawing a wavy line. (Remember, we’ll refer the region above the number line as positive region and the region below the number line as negative region.)

How to draw the wavy line?

1. How to start: Start from the top right most portion. Be ready to alternate (or not alternate) the region of the wave based on how many times a point is root to the given expression.

2. How to alternate: In the given expression, if the power of a term is odd, then the wave simply passes through the corresponding point (root) into the other region (to –ve region if the wave is currently in the positive region and to the +ve region if the wave is currently in the negative region). However, if the power of a term is even, then the wave bounces back into the same region.

Now look back at the above expression and analyze your wavy line. Were you (intuitively) using the above mentioned rules while drawing your wavy line? :)

Solution

Once you get your wavy line right, solving an inequality becomes very easy. For instance, for the above inequality, since we need to look for the space where the above expression would be less than zero, look for the areas in the wavy line where the curve is below the number line.

So the correct solution set would simply be {3 < x < 4} U {{x < 2} – {1}}

In words, it is the Union of two regions region1 between x = 3 and x = 4 and region2 which is x < 2, excluding the point x = 1.

Food for Thought

Now, try to answer the following questions:

1. Why did we exclude the point x = 1 from the solution set of the last example? (Easy Question)
    2. Why do the above mentioned rules (especially rule #2) work? What is/are the principle(s) working behind the curtains?

Foot Note: Although the post is meant to deal with inequality expressions containing multiple roots, the above rules to draw the wavy line are generic and are applicable in all cases. :)

- Krishna

Originally posted by EgmatQuantExpert on 06 Jan 2015, 03:35.
Last edited by EgmatQuantExpert on 10 Jan 2015, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [25]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vjsharma25 wrote:

I understand the concept but not the starting point of the graph.How you decide about the graph to be a sine or cosine waveform?Meaning graph starts from the +ve Y-axis for four values and starts from -ve Y-axis for three values.
What if the equation you mentioned is (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)<0,will the last two ranges be excluded or the graph will also change?

Ok, look at this expression inequality: (x+2)(x-1)(x-7) < 0
Can I say the left hand side expression will always be positive for values greater than 7? (x+2) will be positive, (x - 1) will be positive and (x-7) will also be positive... so in the rightmost regions i.e. x > 7, all three factors will be positive. The expression will be positive when x > 7, it will be negative when 1 < x < 7, positive when -2 , x < 1 and negative when x < -2. We need the region where the expression is less than 0 i.e. negative. So either 1 < x < 7 or x < -2.

Now let me add another factor: (x+8)(x+2)(x-1)(x-7)
Can I still say that the entire expression is positive in the rightmost region i.e. x>7 because each one of the four factors is positive? Yes.

So basically, your rightmost region is always positive. You go from there and assign + and - signs to the regions. Your starting point is the rightmost region.

Note: Make sure that the factors are of the form (ax - b), not (b - ax)...

e.g. (x+2)(x-1)(7 - x)<0

Convert this to: (x+2)(x-1)(x-7)>0 (Multiply both sides by '-1')
Now solve in the usual way. Assign '+' to the rightmost region and then alternate with '-'
Since you are looking for positive value of the expression, every region where you put a '+' will be the region where the expression will be greater than 0.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I learnt this trick while I was in school and yesterday while solving one question I recalled.
Its good if you guys use it 1-2 times to get used to it.

So for f(x) < 0 consider "-" curves and the ans is : (a < x < b) , (c < x < d)
and for f(x) < 0 consider "+" curves and the ans is : (x < a), (b < x < c) , (d < x)

I don't understand this part alone. Can you please explain?
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Dreamy wrote:
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I learnt this trick while I was in school and yesterday while solving one question I recalled.
Its good if you guys use it 1-2 times to get used to it.

So for f(x) < 0 consider "-" curves and the ans is : (a < x < b) , (c < x < d)
and for f(x) < 0 consider "+" curves and the ans is : (x < a), (b < x < c) , (d < x)

I don't understand this part alone. Can you please explain?

Suppose you have the inequality

f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) < 0 you will consider the curve with -ve inside it.. check the attached image.

f(x) = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) > 0 consider the +ve of the curve
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1135 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
vjsharma25 wrote:

How you have decided on the first sign of the graph?Why it is -ve if it has three factors and +ve when four factors?

Check out my post above for explanation.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
gurpreetsingh wrote:
ulm wrote:
in addition:
if we have smth like (x-a)^2(x-b)
we don't need to change a sign when jump over "a".

yes even powers wont contribute to the inequality sign. But be wary of the root value of x=a

This way of solving inequalities actually makes it soo much easier. Thanks gurpreetsingh and karishma

However, i am confused about how to solve inequalities such as: (x-a)^2(x-b) and also ones with root value.

could someone please explain.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [9]
Send PM
Kudos