Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:15 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [29]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [4]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: The Norwegian government started legal action recently [#permalink]
Although I picked the right answer, I am bit confused in regard to the intended meaning of the sentence.....

"that do not adopt the law" ---> is it the Euro Zone 'that do not adopt the law' or the countries 'that do not adopt the law'?

Can someone please share his/her thoughts on the same?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
DesiGmat wrote:
Although I picked the right answer, I am bit confused in regard to the intended meaning of the sentence.....

"that do not adopt the law" ---> is it the Euro Zone 'that do not adopt the law' or the countries 'that do not adopt the law'?

Can someone please share his/her thoughts on the same?

Thanks

Hi,

The intended meaning is the countries "that do not adopt the law" and these countries lie outside the Euro Zone.

In regards to which is correct - "to try and block" or "to try to block", lets check the meaning. Here the Norwegian government wants to stop the RH Tax. So they are going to do one action : try blocking it, where they may or may not succeed. They are not doing 2 different actions of 1st "Trying" and then a 2nd separate action of "Blocking". I.e. the "Try" leads to "Block" if successful and we should not use "and". So it should not be "To Try and Block" as correct form is - "To Try to Block". Hope I was able to clarify this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi guys!
I have a question about C. Is it correct to say that "outside Euro zone" modifies "countries" and hence we can use "which" after modifier?. I read about this possibility in SC guide. Please clarify. Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
C) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it will ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone, which do not adopt the law -----1. ‘Because it will ensnare’ seems too strongly worded. 2. Which certainly refers to the countries; Note that the verb is plural and it does not refer to the Zone, which is singular. So C is passable.

D to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax on the grounds that it could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law--- Could ensnare is fine, definitely acceptable at the start of the campaign;2. However, the ‘that’ in Euro Zone is a restrictive pronoun, therefore must refer to the Euro Zone ; There is no elbow-room for the restrictive pronouns to modify any noun other than what is in the front. So all choices that say “ Euro-zone that” are inherently flawed. This leaves only C, I suppose

That is the reason C is better than D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 477
Send PM
VeritasKarishma

Can you pls explain how the use of "That" in D is correct

that is modifying Euro Zone which is singular, but the verb used is "do not" which is plural
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
The Norwegian government started legal action recently [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi GDT,

If I may respond to your question: that refers to countries (to be more precise, it refers to countries outside the Euro Zone).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
C) to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax because it will ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone, which do not adopt the law -----1. ‘Because it will ensnare’ seems too strongly worded. 2. Which certainly refers to the countries; Note that the verb is plural and it does not refer to the Zone, which is singular. So C is passable.

D to try to block the so-called Robin Hood tax on the grounds that it could ensnare countries outside the Euro Zone that do not adopt the law--- Could ensnare is fine, definitely acceptable at the start of the campaign;2. However, the ‘that’ in Euro Zone is a restrictive pronoun, therefore must refer to the Euro Zone ; There is no elbow-room for the restrictive pronouns to modify any noun other than what is in the front. So all choices that say “ Euro-zone that” are inherently flawed. This leaves only C, I suppose

That is the reason C is better than D.

Dear VeritasKarishma

I guess we need your presence here!

And daagh reasoning sounds apt. Any insights from your side please?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos