Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Give me a tendency, but support it with arguments ;)

57% [15]
42% [11]
0% [0]
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: International Business, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Statistics, Economics
Schools: Booth - Class of 2014
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Social impact consulting: Kellogg w/ $$ vs Yale? [#permalink]
Hi and thanks for your responses!

Got back from vacation and am now ramping up on a lot of discussions.
EuroEng, it’s an interesting point on non-profit backgrounds from Yale SOMers, though I do see that as a possible advantage regarding the network it can be offering. You then state rightly, that “most business people will be more impressed with K than Y”. The question here is how much I will/want to have to do with these so called “business people” :p Quite a simple equation to generalize to then: The more I want to move outside of business circles in the future, the more attractive Y becomes.

mgg234, based on your reply: Are we talking about hiring decisions fresh out of school, or are we also talking about long term implications? I would assume that if you got into eg. MBB from Y or K, that does not matter anymore if you move on _from_ MBB? Or am I mistaken here?

Btw, funny to see 17 people voting with two answers – I would be curious about all your perceptions as well, either as a post or PM!

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [2]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Based on your responses, I think that you prefer Yale. It seems like you are defending that program more. I recommend choosing the program that makes you feel most excited. Yes, Kellogg is a tier above SOM, but the difference is not great enough to have a major impact on your decision.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I've lived in EU and NA and get your reputational concerns. Its the same way the average person outside of the UK thinks Oxford > LBS, Yale brings clout even if it has a shorter history (b-school wise) than Kellogg. There are a handful of people I know who if I said "I'm quitting and going to Kellogg" they'd ask me why I want to work for a cereal company - no I'm not kidding, but these aren't the people reading CVs at top firms.

Truth be told, you'll 100% be fine at either, this isn't a situation where you're clearly right/wrong. If you end up staying in the US or purely look at top-tier firms, the hiring folks will be interested you with either name on your CV. Internationally, they will be seen more so as equal rather than K > Y as in the US, and in less 'mba savvy' spots, Y > K. It's a lot of info to ponder and somewhat all balances out so...what doesn't balance out: Kellogg is offering more $, how are your finances? Chi-town>New Haven for most, what's your take on the geography? Are you interested in the companies that come to campus for one more so than the other (I know you mentioned not wanting to stay in biz potentially, but time changes everything)? Yale is a smaller class, is that good or bad for you? Have you reached out to people at each - how was that experience?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
revul, thanks for your reply! I really like your take on the difference in perceptions between the two, they kind of reflect with my gut feeling as well – and I know the cereal comments all too well…

Apart from that, the questions are all relevant and things that I am going through right now, talking with tons of people, discovering my preference for small vs big location, class, etc. In the end I guess it boils down to personal preferences and coincidences based on circumstances - good thing to be reminded that there is no wrong choice in this one. The one thing I figured out is that both have extremely vibrant and responsive communities 8-)

Some more weeks to go before clarity settles in…
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts