Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [2]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64901 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Feeling Lost [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
evanstar wrote:
Hello!

I am just starting out preparing for my GMAT and I realized that I can't answer a single math question :oops: :oops: . I didn't think it would be worth it if I did a diagnostic CAT, if I can't answer the simplest of questions. It's cause of huge concern for me. Any suggestions on how to re-build my math skills(I was never any good at math to begin with)? Advance thanks for all your help.

First figure out where you are in basic Math - go to purplemath.com
On the right hand side of the page, you will see links to 5th grade Math, 6th grade Math etc. Check out whether you are comfortable with those levels. If yes, great! Get a high school Math book and review that. Else, go through the Math content of the grade with which you are not comfortable. Alternatively, go down the page and click on the GMAT math link. It starts with whole numbers and integers, goes on to fractions, decimals, equations and so on... You should get a good handle on basics from there.

Thereafter, decide how you want to proceed:
- Self study with the help of the complete prep material of one company
- Classroom/online course
- Private tutoring
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sarahrs wrote:
I struggled as well. Basics is relearning your addition and subtraction stories and your times tables. I bought kids maths books to help out and hung up a poster which had all the times tables. For the slightly more advanced maths like percentages, and ratios get a maths book aimed for teenager as that will remind you of the more advanced stuff. Some pretty good phone apps which can help you test your maths skills as well; find what suits.

To really whizz at the GMAT learn about number properties. I think Manhattan GMAT has a guide.

Also recommend online course like magoosh to get you to speed. They go over the basics really well.

Thank you so much. I am pretty good at the basics (basic arithmetics). It's more so the high-school math that's giving me trouble. I've downloaded a few apps on my phone as you suggested. Hoping to make some progress now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi evanstar,

If your math skills are that "rusty", then you might want to spend some time practicing at Khan Academy before you start your GMAT studies. The site is free and the practice material feels more like 'games' than 'work', so it's very friendly to use and adds an element of fun to the process.

The Quant section of the GMAT requires a combination of knowledge (knowing formulas and how to do math), tactics (knowing more than one way to approach a question, including alternatives to just "doing math", pattern-recognition, etc.) and "mechanics" (the physical work that comes with taking notes, staying organized and doing basic math correctly). You can't score at a high level on Test Day if you don't know the rules and/or can't do the physical work correctly. The good news is that most GMAT questions can be solved in a variety of ways, so you don't have to be a genius and you don't have to be an expert mathematician to score at a high level in the Quant section. You WILL need to be able to do the basic work perfectly though; those skills might take some time to develop.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Thank you so much for your guidance and advice. I've signed up on Khan Academy. I'll start polishing my skills right away. The sooner I start the better. Thank you once again. Your help is very much appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
You should start from the beginning and learn all concepts from A-Z. Then you must learn how to apply these concepts for each question type.

There are self-study options starting from $299 and private tutoring where you will have expert guidance and the on demand course is included.

The key to success is to have a game plan and stick to it...

If you are interested in a free trial account and/or an online trial hour please let me know
GMAT Club Bot