Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Current Fuqua Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Informational Interview Sample Questions
Informational interviews are the basic building blocks of career development. It allows you to quickly gain insights from people who have the jobs that you may (or may not) want. During the internship, it is essential to have as many informational interviews with people in the organization as possible. Not only can you learn the culture, but it also allows you to learn how career development happens and also gains you exposure in the company. Informational interviews are also something MBA students do on a routine basis during the program, to learn more about the various career opportunities.
Continue reading »
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Winter is Coming to Duke
Undoubtedly, Durham is an amazing and beautiful place. Just this morning I took a picture at one of the paths that take you from the parking lot to school. You could see that winter is coming to Duke! Trees have a wide variety of colors including different shades of red, yellow, brown, pink, and green. And Duke … Continue reading →
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Advice to First Year MBAs: Get Functional Experience
One thing I did not know when recruiting for the MBA summer internship was the following: just how important prior experience in the function that you're recruiting for was. For example, I recruited for marketing and the one thing I didn't have was strong functional experience in marketing prior to the MBA. What I did do was leverage the opportunities in the first year of the MBA to help build that functional skill set in marketing.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Advice to First Years: Take Lots of Risks to Expose Your Weaknesses
One reason for doing the MBA is to have the freedom to try things that you would be too risk-averse or time-limited to do working full time. It's like buying time - you can pay $50,000 a year for the freedom to learn and explore things about the world that would not be possible with a day job. It would be a waste to not fully utilize this opportunity to genuinely improve yourself during the two year degree.

Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Is Getting An MBA Worth It?
Yes, that age-old question: is the $120,000 MBA worth it? Successful business people have both advocated and renounced the degree for reasons you've probably already read or heard about. Now that I'm almost done with my MBA, I figured it would be a good time to start thinking about this question. After all, any investor would want to know what return their getting on their investments. Education should be no different.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Duke MBA Business Improv Course
A year ago when I was still a first year Fuqua MBA student, I saw "Business Improv" when registering for classes and had no idea how it may be useful, so I went back to preparing for my summer internship interviews. Fast forward to the end of the summer, and I was given feedback from my internship's final presentation that I needed to improve my speaking skills.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone, now that the Class of 2017 application cycle is one round from being over, I know many of you are debating between offers or just want to learn more about the Fuqua MBA. I'm a current second year MBA student at Duke and maintain a blog that focuses primarily on my MBA experience.

I'd like to "crowdsource" topics for future blog posts from readers of this thread.

I've had readers request I write about some topics in the past, and find that they are more relevant to what readers want to read about. I'd like to open this up to everyone who is reading this thread. I'm graduating in a couple of months, so now is a good time to reflect on what you all want to learn about the experience. You can find my blog here to see what topics have been covered in the past.

Please shoot me a PM and I would be happy to find out what you're curious to learn about the Duke MBA.
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: The Duke MBA, Best 2014 Business School
Is a happy day for the Duke MBA. Businessweek‘s full-time MBA ranking was released today, and Fuqua is #1!! Businessweek classifies schools using the following three criteria: how company recruiters rate MBA students in each school (45%), how graduating MBA students rate their own school (45%), and the research performed by the school’s faculty (10%). This is one of … Continue reading →
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Winter is Coming to Duke
Undoubtedly, Durham is an amazing and beautiful place. Just this morning I took a picture at one of the paths that take you from the parking lot to school. You could see that winter is coming to Duke! Trees have a wide variety of colors including different shades of red, yellow, brown, pink, and green. And Duke … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Duke MBA Insights: The Best Time to Get the MBA (Reader Request)
I've been getting quite a few questions from readers on when the best time to do the MBA is. Usually the question is around how much work experience would be competitive as an applicant. Some prospective students are concerned that they do not have as much work experience as others. If you look around, the Duke MBA and similar MBA programs usually have a median work experience of 5 years in their incoming class. Here's I'd like to offer my perspective as someone who only had 3 years of work experience prior to starting the MBA at Duke Fuqua.
Continue reading »
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: And I’m Back!
I can’t believe how much time has passed since the last time I wrote a post! I have been really lazy, I have to admit it! In any case, I have been thinking about publishing several posts on my blog for quite a while, but I always found reasons not to: grab some drinks with classmates, … Continue reading →
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Duke back in Final Four!!
YESSSSS!!!! Yesterday Duke beat Gonzaga, 52-66, and qualified for the final four!!! (what we would call semifinals  in the rest of the world). For those who don’t know much about basketball, this is big guys. If you have been following my blog, you know that I am a Duke basketball fan. Back in Spain I … Continue reading →
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Duke 2015 NCAA Champions
WOW! Just wow! The final game of the NCAA championship played on Monday against Wisconsin was astonishing. At the end, Duke beat the Badgers 68-63 in a very tight game. I watched the final at school. Around 500 students and family members where at Geneen, Fuqua’s main auditorium, to cheer for Duke. This is what … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Duke MBA 2nd Year Electives Are Amazing
This is a post I wrote a while back. Sorry that I haven't been good at updating my blog lately. I'm writing again so stay tuned for some new posts in the upcoming weeks! Here goes.

I'm currently about half way through my second year of the Duke Fuqua MBA and have taken quite a few electives now. I've written about Fuqua electives toward the end of my first year at Duke and think it's a good time to give an update on my experience with the second year electives. And as the title states, they have been quite amazing.

Continue reading »
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: My Last Day of Class at Fuqua
This is it! My two years at The Fuqua School of Business are coming to an end. Today I had my last class of the MBA! Lately the word I hear the most is “last”. I know I’m using it often: my last case, my last class, our last team meeting, our last lunch together at … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Recruiting at Duke MBA (Fuqua)
With my MBA journey at Duke Fuqua coming to an end, I thought it'd be a great time to wrap up and reflect upon my experiences in the past 2 years. In an effort to write things that my readers care the most about, a while back I reached out to GMATClub and sought out questions. I plan to answer one of these questions per post over the next couple of months. So stay tuned for more content that have been decided by you, the reader.
Continue reading »
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: This Is not the End… This Is the Beginning
On Saturday May 9 I officially graduated from The Fuqua School of Business. The journey is over! Just yesterday I was taking over the phone with one of my best friends, Nacho, and he was telling me how he remembered all my struggles when applying to the MBA. He went on making fun of me about how … Continue reading →
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts