Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [28]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618707 [9]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
General Discussion
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Over the course of a full-day seminar, 66 students must give short pre [#permalink]
chetan2u

I understood RSM can be arranged in 3 ! ways among the 63 people . Out of which only 1 order would be correct .

So total would be 66 ! ways in which 3 ! are the ways RSM is arranged .

But here i am confused about the division is it divided because out of the 66 ! ways only 1 is the correct arrangement for RSM ?
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31880 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Re: Over the course of a full-day seminar, 66 students must give short pre [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
shelrod007 wrote:
chetan2u

I understood RSM can be arranged in 3 ! ways among the 63 people . Out of which only 1 order would be correct .

So total would be 66 ! ways in which 3 ! are the ways RSM is arranged .

But here i am confused about the division is it divided because out of the 66 ! ways only 1 is the correct arrangement for RSM ?

ok shelrod, we will solve it in other way..
lets see how many ways three places can be choosen for this three people out of 66 places.. it is 66C3... here we take combination and not permutation because we are taking selection and not arrangement of these three speakers..
remaining 63 can be arranged in 63!, and here arrangement makes a difference..
so ans becomes 66C3*63!=63!*66!/(63!*3*)=66!/3!...
yes we div by3! because only one arrangement out of 3! of RSM is valid..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1751 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: International Business, Technology
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V27
Send PM
Kudos
shelrod007 wrote:
I not able to understand the solution on the Mangoosh blog ..

Over the course of a full-day seminar, 66 students must give short presentations. Most of the presentations are independent, but Sam’s presentation refers to something in Ruth’s, so Ruth must go before Sam; similarly, Matt’s presentation refers to something in Ruth’s and something in Sam’s, so Matt’s must come after both of those. These three presentations need not be consecutive with each other: whatever the order is, Ruth’s must come before the other two but not necessarily first of the 66, and sometime later, Matt must come after the other two but not necessarily last of all. The other 63 participants can present in any order. How many orders obey these constraints?

(A) 22!

(B) 63!

(C) 63!/3!

(D) 66!/3

(E) 66!/3!

Link : https://magoosh.com/gmat/2015/counting-practice-problems-for-the-gmat/

66! are the total number of ways . Total number of ways to arrange R,S,M = 3!= 6 , clearly one 6th of these arrangements will have RSM , other 1/6th will have RMS and so on ..

so the answer is 66!/6
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Quote:
lets see how many ways three places can be choosen for this three people out of 66 places.. it is 66C3... here we take combination and not permutation because we are taking selection and not arrangement of these three speakers..

Why are we selecting 66C3 ? Won't this give all the combinations of RSM? I thought that there were constraints on RSM such that R has to go before S, before M?
I understand that the "other 63" can be arranged with 66! but I don't understand how 66C3 would satisfy the RSM conditions... Does 66C3 not give "the number of combinations that 3 people (RSM) can be chosen out of 66 people", which would mean that RSM, SRM, MSR etc. would be included within 66C3 ?

Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618707 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shelrod007 wrote:

Over the course of a full-day seminar, 66 students must give short presentations. Most of the presentations are independent, but Sam’s presentation refers to something in Ruth’s, so Ruth must go before Sam; similarly, Matt’s presentation refers to something in Ruth’s and something in Sam’s, so Matt’s must come after both of those. These three presentations need not be consecutive with each other: whatever the order is, Ruth’s must come before the other two but not necessarily first of the 66, and sometime later, Matt must come after the other two but not necessarily last of all. The other 63 participants can present in any order. How many orders obey these constraints?

(A) 22!

(B) 63!

(C) 63!/3!

(D) 66!/3

(E) 66!/3!

Similar questions to practice:
7-people-a-b-c-d-e-f-and-g-go-to-a-movie-and-sit-180985.html
mother-mary-comes-to-me-86407.html (or: mary-and-joe-126407.html);
six-mobsters-have-arrived-at-the-theater-for-the-premiere-of-the-126151.html
in-how-many-different-ways-can-the-letters-a-a-b-91460.html
goldenrod-and-no-hope-are-in-a-horse-race-with-6-contestants-82214.html
meg-and-bob-are-among-the-5-participants-in-a-cycling-race-58095.html
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
shelrod007 wrote:

(A) 22!

(B) 63!

(C) 63!/3!

(D) 66!/3

(E) 66!/3!

Similar questions to practice:
7-people-a-b-c-d-e-f-and-g-go-to-a-movie-and-sit-180985.html
mother-mary-comes-to-me-86407.html (or: mary-and-joe-126407.html);
six-mobsters-have-arrived-at-the-theater-for-the-premiere-of-the-126151.html
in-how-many-different-ways-can-the-letters-a-a-b-91460.html
goldenrod-and-no-hope-are-in-a-horse-race-with-6-contestants-82214.html
meg-and-bob-are-among-the-5-participants-in-a-cycling-race-58095.html

Check other Arrangements in a Row and around a Table questions in our Special Questions Directory.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.58
Send PM
Kudos
shelrod007 wrote:

(A) 22!

(B) 63!

(C) 63!/3!

(D) 66!/3

(E) 66!/3!

ANOTHER APPROACH

first fix those 3 students in the required order

_ R_ S _ M _

Now we can choose 1 place out of 4 for the next student (say A) i.e 4C1 ways

_ A _ R _ S _ M _

For 5th student, we can choose from 5 places i.e 5C1 ways

Similiarly , for 66th student 66C1 ways

Therefore, total ways = 4C1 x 5C1 x......x66C1 = 66!/3!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
icetray wrote:
Quote:

Why are we selecting 66C3 ? Won't this give all the combinations of RSM? I thought that there were constraints on RSM such that R has to go before S, before M?
I understand that the "other 63" can be arranged with 66! but I don't understand how 66C3 would satisfy the RSM conditions... Does 66C3 not give "the number of combinations that 3 people (RSM) can be chosen out of 66 people", which would mean that RSM, SRM, MSR etc. would be included within 66C3 ?

Thanks

(A) 22!
(B) 63!
(C) 63!/3!
(D) 66!/3
(E) 66!/3!

66 presentations can be ordered in 66! ways. We want only those sequences which have Ruth - Sam - Matt ordering in them.

Ruth's, Sam's and Matt's presentations can be ordered in 3! = 6 ways in those 66! cases: RSM, RMS, MRS, MSR, SRM and SMR. So, 1/6th of 66! would have RSM sequence in them, 1/6th of 66! would have RMS sequence in them, and so on. We need only RSM sequence, which as we deduced would appear on 1/6th of 66!, so the answer is 66!/6.

Answer: D.

HI Bunuel

While I do understand this approach, the answer choice D is 66!/3 (and not 6) and the correct answer appears to be 66!/3!
What is it that we can amend in the above answer to get to the right answer?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
sm1510 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
icetray wrote:

Thanks

(A) 22!
(B) 63!
(C) 63!/3!
(D) 66!/3
(E) 66!/3!

66 presentations can be ordered in 66! ways. We want only those sequences which have Ruth - Sam - Matt ordering in them.

Ruth's, Sam's and Matt's presentations can be ordered in 3! = 6 ways in those 66! cases: RSM, RMS, MRS, MSR, SRM and SMR. So, 1/6th of 66! would have RSM sequence in them, 1/6th of 66! would have RMS sequence in them, and so on. We need only RSM sequence, which as we deduced would appear on 1/6th of 66!, so the answer is 66!/6.

Answer: D.

HI Bunuel

While I do understand this approach, the answer choice D is 66!/3 (and not 6) and the correct answer appears to be 66!/3!
What is it that we can amend in the above answer to get to the right answer?

D was a typo there. The correct answer is E, as show in the solution.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
The key to solving the problem is getting the right combination
since we can arrange each of them in 66! ways
However with the given constraint
Ritu first before sam and matt
matt after ritu and sam
there is only one possible possiblity that being
ritu sam and matt
they can be arranged in 3!
which we cannot have therefore this is divided
Hence IMO 66!/3--> E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92901 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts