Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Real Estate, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Real Estate, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Yale SOM Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
blizzArd wrote:
OK. Let's think about this rationally.

What we do know:
1) SOM mentioned they will get back to us on 3/27.
2) SOM started sending out invites on 1/20 (This is 1 working day after the video submission deadline of 1/15. Only 1/16 is a work day... I believe Yale and other NE Schools celebrate MLK).
3) SOM sends out invites in little spurts.

From 1), and assuming that they need 2 weeks to mull over interviews (reasonable assumption - many schools only mull for one week), we can approximate the last interview date to be 3/13.

From 2) and 3), clearly, they interview in batches (likely random). It is highly unlikely they would have went through the entire stack of applications within one working day and start sending out invites.

Typically, it is reasonable to give 2-3 weeks notice before scheduling interviews, as seen from the previous invites. Someone was only given 10 days notice yesterday or 2 days ago.

Lastly, from previous years/rounds, SOM sends out an email telling us that "interview invites are almost all sent out" or something to take extent. I'll take that email as a "ding without interview".

So, calm down... There is at least one to two weeks before all invites are sent, and even then, SOM will send "ding without interview notices" via email.

Thanks for the analysis blizzard, thanks for the analysis makes us feel we are still iin the game
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nnamdi wrote:
cgottuso wrote:
Full disclosure: I'm a born skeptic and I've not heard anything from Yale. However, I've heard positive things from my top 3 choices so I'm not some bitter commenter that will resent Yale til the day I die if they don't interview me.

The MBA admissions process seems very random to us outsiders, I'll grant you that. It's hard to know the process or logic a lot of the schools use. But I highly doubt Yale, and others, sort candidates by continent and begin spraying out invites (and later, decisions) based on where you live.

People on this site need to remember that, while we are a decent sample, we are NOT representative of the applicant pool as a whole. It may just be coincidence that African candidates ON THIS SITE haven't been invited for interview (how many are there? I'd hazard a guess it's not many) and to suggest there's a geographic trend is almost certainly conjecture, at best.

For a process that feels so steeped in secrecy, I highly doubt schools would do something like this. I'm sorry for this rant and I don't mean to personally attack anybody, please don't perceive it that way. I've just seen these (and similiar) theories tossed about on this site and it seems like a sub-par attempt to "decode" the process.

Dearest Cgottuso

I really want to say congrats on your applications/invites and you are truly the kind off candidate (from your stats) that we believe Adcoms drool over, some of us are not that fortunate to have your stats so we have to view this process a little more light heartedly.

I actually believe GMAT Club is a place where we can come and just be happy, share stories and crack jokes with virtual friends as we trudge along in our battles with the admission process. If some people take it as the holy grail of mba admissions i do apologize. It was all banter with the geographic indicators, a little light-hearted humour to keep hopes up and cheer people. Of course we know no respectable adcom will release results in such a manner. it must probably be sequential as to how we submitted of something entirely much more random than many of us can phantom.

I really wish we could all encourage one another on this journey, a ding is a painful and ego shattering experience and humour might just be the best medicine. I move a motion to make Gmat Club a more relaxed atmosphere

I didn't mean to come off as condescending. The geographic speculation has hardly been light-hearted humor - it's been an attempt to figure out the adcom's process. None of this was meant as a personal affront to you or any others.

My "full disclosure" at the beginning of my post was not meant to boast. Rather, it was meant to qualify the rest of my comment so that readers didn't think I was some bitter applicant that came here to spew about his frustration. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be admitted to SOM - it's why I applied.

My only aim was to, at least, interrupt the speculation about some geographic trend that seems to be everywhere (not just in this thread). Every few posts in many of these "Calling all applicants" threads is, "has anybody from [insert country here] heard back yet?" I'm quite certain there's been no discernible pattern if you go back in past threads for most/all schools.

I'm sorry for being a wet blanket. In general, I've been extremely supportive on this site. I'm sorry if you took offense as it was never intended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
I'm not sure what you problem is when folks out here try to decode this opaque process. I for one, am not a big fan of reading too much into every invite, but if somebody else does that I don't have a problem with it. It's nauseating to see people who come to online forums, and try to steer the conversation just because THEY don't agree with it.

And your reasoning isn't very valid here either. Yale Adcom is going to come to hub cities for interview, and it does make complete sense for them to review as many applications coming from candidates in and around those cities before they fly in. I say as many as they can, because let's face it there will be some incomplete applications or some on which they need a second or a third opinion, who knows. Let's take the example of India. Do you think they will spend a week in India, and not make the best effort to review all Indian applicants before they get here? That means they have to give Indian applicants at least 10-15 days to get their schedule in order, so I would assume they will like to review as many Indian applicants as they can by the 20th of this month (Since India interview dates are March 3-6). So they can have a little more room for say Singapore (Just guessing) or any other city that they might be visiting after India They can take the extra couple of days to review applications from that region, and they will. It's not an easy task reviewing essays + recommendation of 1000+ applicants in less than a month. It would be foolish for them to go to Colombia and interview a bunch of guys and then get back to New Haven and say "Hey guys we found this pile of good applications from Bogota, wish we could have interviewed them when we were there. Let's just Skype them now."
They are using an electronic application management software, which I'm sure goes into a centralized database. They can sort our applications by location, age, GPA, GMAT Score, whatever they want. So when they say their review process is random, It could very well mean they apply certain filters and then randomly select applications to streamline their own administrative process. And I'm sure the process works a bit differently for North American candidates, especially east coast, but it's not hard to decipher/speculate on what's going on given the tons of data and stats that we have not just from this year's thread but from the last few years, if one is so inclined.

Needless to say all this comes with a big caveat: there are always exceptions. And you should never be too sure or unsure of your chances.

cgottuso wrote:
nnamdi wrote:
cgottuso wrote:
Full disclosure: I'm a born skeptic and I've not heard anything from Yale. However, I've heard positive things from my top 3 choices so I'm not some bitter commenter that will resent Yale til the day I die if they don't interview me.

The MBA admissions process seems very random to us outsiders, I'll grant you that. It's hard to know the process or logic a lot of the schools use. But I highly doubt Yale, and others, sort candidates by continent and begin spraying out invites (and later, decisions) based on where you live.

People on this site need to remember that, while we are a decent sample, we are NOT representative of the applicant pool as a whole. It may just be coincidence that African candidates ON THIS SITE haven't been invited for interview (how many are there? I'd hazard a guess it's not many) and to suggest there's a geographic trend is almost certainly conjecture, at best.

For a process that feels so steeped in secrecy, I highly doubt schools would do something like this. I'm sorry for this rant and I don't mean to personally attack anybody, please don't perceive it that way. I've just seen these (and similiar) theories tossed about on this site and it seems like a sub-par attempt to "decode" the process.

Dearest Cgottuso

I really want to say congrats on your applications/invites and you are truly the kind off candidate (from your stats) that we believe Adcoms drool over, some of us are not that fortunate to have your stats so we have to view this process a little more light heartedly.

I actually believe GMAT Club is a place where we can come and just be happy, share stories and crack jokes with virtual friends as we trudge along in our battles with the admission process. If some people take it as the holy grail of mba admissions i do apologize. It was all banter with the geographic indicators, a little light-hearted humour to keep hopes up and cheer people. Of course we know no respectable adcom will release results in such a manner. it must probably be sequential as to how we submitted of something entirely much more random than many of us can phantom.

I really wish we could all encourage one another on this journey, a ding is a painful and ego shattering experience and humour might just be the best medicine. I move a motion to make Gmat Club a more relaxed atmosphere

I didn't mean to come off as condescending. The geographic speculation has hardly been light-hearted humor - it's been an attempt to figure out the adcom's process. None of this was meant as a personal affront to you or any others.

My "full disclosure" at the beginning of my post was not meant to boast. Rather, it was meant to qualify the rest of my comment so that readers didn't think I was some bitter applicant that came here to spew about his frustration. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be admitted to SOM - it's why I applied.

My only aim was to, at least, interrupt the speculation about some geographic trend that seems to be everywhere (not just in this thread). Every few posts in many of these "Calling all applicants" threads is, "has anybody from [insert country here] heard back yet?" I'm quite certain there's been no discernible pattern if you go back in past threads for most/all schools.

I'm sorry for being a wet blanket. In general, I've been extremely supportive on this site. I'm sorry if you took offense as it was never intended.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Agree with StarLord on this. While I am no fan of speculation, I have no issue with others speculating on a public forum... Especially if it helps them get through this process.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
Kudos
Aspiring123 wrote:
Agree with StarLord on this. While I am no fan of speculation, I have no issue with others speculating on a public forum... Especially if it helps them get through this process.

Posted from my mobile device

...StarLord?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
We agree to disagree. I just wish that during such a tense time many threads weren't flooded with regular geographic speculation. I would prefer to receive a notification that something of substance (or at least original humor/speculation) was shared on a thread I'm following closely.

Let the speculation continue...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Interviews: Why?

SOM applicants fall into one of three groups:
1) The Chosen - These guys are interviewed and called back. Congrats!
2) The Teased and Unpleased - The cost of the application, plane ticket, and hotel bought you a thirty-minute interview but no phone call. Ouch.
3) No Dice - Dings hurt but this group is better off than Group 2. It is better to get flat-out rejected by the cute barista than to get rejected after thinking she's into you. Not speaking from experience of course.

The application (GMAT, work experience, etc.) presumably weeds out Group 3. Anyone who interviews should be professionally and intellectually qualified. So what separates Group 1 from Group 2? The interview, which weeds out 40% of those interviewed. That is what boggles me. The interview itself is advertised as very straightforward and conversational. I expect that most native speakers of Group 1 and 2 caliber do pretty well. How is it then that 40% gets dinged after the interview? Remember that the rest of the application is good, at least enough for an interview, and that the interview itself is relatively easy. So what exactly is admissions looking for in that short thirty-minute chat, and what exactly is 40% of interviewees getting wrong?

My only guess is fit, only because the 'Why Yale' question was not one of the essay prompts. But can fit really be the primary deal breaker for Group 2? Thoughts?

(This question isn't unique to SOM. I just asked it here because I happened to know the stats.)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.96
WE:Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos