Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:22 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618600 [15]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31870 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618600 [1]
Send PM
Re: Eleven members of Club A are also members of Club B, and five members [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Eleven members of Club A are also members of Club B, and five members of Club B are also members of Club C. How many members of Club A are also members of Club C?

(1) Club B has 16 members.
(2) Exactly two people from Club C are also members of Club A.

Kudos for a correct solution.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION

Correct Answer: B

Explanation:

(1) It is possible that the 11 members of Club A who belong to Club B include the 5 members who also belong to Club C. It is also possible that no one who belongs to Club A also belongs to Club C. Accordingly, statement 1 is insufficient.

(2) This statement answers the question directly, indicating that two people are members of both Club A and Club C. Accordingly, this statement is sufficient. Since statement (2) alone is sufficient to answer the question, the correct answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Re: Eleven members of Club A are also members of Club B, and five members [#permalink]
Kudos
Does Statement 2 comprises of both common between A & C and common among A, B, & C. By the term exactly, I understood as if they are just common between A & C and since we do not know those who are common among all three clubs the information is insufficient; and hence Answer is E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Given Kudos: 167
Schools: Yale '18
GMAT 1: 650 Q43 V37
GRE 1: Q157 V158
GPA: 2.66
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Eleven members of Club A are also members of Club B, and five members of Club B are also members of Club C. How many members of Club A are also members of Club C?

Kudos for a correct solution.

This question asks us if we have enough information to determine how many members of club A are also member of club C- it is important to note that conditional logic doesn't necessarily apply in set theory- in other words, we if know how many members of club C are also members of club A then we know how many members of club A are members of club c. If this were critical reasoning, for example, then the argument if all A are B then all B are A would be fallacious ( All humans are mammals but not all mammals are humans). Though if you look at this scenario on a three circle venn diagram you can see that whatever numbers falls into the intersection of Group A and C ( the circle that intersects those groups) this number applies both ways.

Statement (1) tells us the size of club B which in itself does not allow us to find the number of members in club C. Insufficient

Statement (2) answers the question. Sufficient.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
scorpionkapoor77 wrote:
Does Statement 2 comprises of both common between A & C and common among A, B, & C. By the term exactly, I understood as if they are just common between A & C and since we do not know those who are common among all three clubs the information is insufficient; and hence Answer is E.

Hi Bunuel

Even i had a similar problem. Can you please explain the flaw in our understanding ?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618600 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kevinjoshi wrote:
scorpionkapoor77 wrote:

Hi Bunuel

Even i had a similar problem. Can you please explain the flaw in our understanding ?

(2) Exactly two people from Club C are also members of Club A means that the overlap between C and A is 2. Below is one of the possible cases:
Attachments

Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 5.55 KiB | Viewed 5108 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Kevinjoshi wrote:
scorpionkapoor77 wrote:

Hi Bunuel

(2) Exactly two people from Club C are also members of Club A means that the overlap between C and A is 2. Below is one of the possible cases:

Thank you Bunuel for your prompt reply. I understood the case.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 580 Q49 V21
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
From St1, we don't know the number of members of club A in C. It may or may not be an overlapping set.
From St2, Its the other way of projecting the answer. If exactly 2 from Club C are present in Club A, the same is true in vice-versa.

So ans is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
GMAT 1: 560 Q38 V29
Send PM
scorpionkapoor77 wrote:

Exactly, language is imprecise and hence there gotta be an inference to solve the question...
Veritas' inferece is that AuC excludes B, we (cause I made the same inference) is that not necessary does, because the problem doesn't says so...

I've find Veritas practice kinda annoying because of that
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1352 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

We consider the image attached.

\(? = x + y\)

\(\left. \begin{gathered}\\
y + z = 11 \hfill \\\\
y + w = 5 \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right\}\,\,\,\,\left( * \right)\)

\(\left( 1 \right)\,\,\underline {B = 16} \,\,\,\left\{ \begin{gathered}\\
\,\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,\underline {y,z,w,k} } \right) = \,\,\left( {0,\underline {4,6,1,5} } \right)\,\,\,{\text{viable}}\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,? = 0 + 4 = 4 \hfill \\\\
\,\,{\text{Take}}\,\,\left( {x,\underline {y,z,w,k} } \right) = \,\,\left( {1,\underline {4,6,1,5} } \right)\,\,\,{\text{viable}}\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,? = 1 + 4 = 5 \hfill \\ \\
\end{gathered} \right.\)

\(\left( 2 \right)\,\,x + y = 2\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,? = 2\,\,\,\,\left( {{\text{immediately}}} \right)\,\,\,\,\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
fskilnik.
Attachments

06Set18_11y.gif
06Set18_11y.gif [ 26.15 KiB | Viewed 4072 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Solution:

Given: Eleven members of Club A are also members of Club B, and five members of Club B are also members of Club C.
To find: How many members of club A are also members of Club C.

Analysis of statement 1: Club B has 16 members.
It is also possible that five members of club B who are also members of Club C may be or may not be members of Club A.
Hence statement 1 is not sufficient. So we can eliminate A or D.

Analysis of statement 2: Exactly two people from Club C are also members of Club A.
This statement directly answers the question, which indicates there are two people who belong to Club C and Club A. Hence statement 2 is sufficient.

Hence the correct answer option is “B”.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts