Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Which School to Choose Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V51
GPA: 3.67
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT-Sloan Applicants(2015 Intake) -Class of 2017 [#permalink]
cdgMBA92 wrote:
I'd look at it this way. The optional essay can help you in two ways. First, it can give you a place to showcase skills/interests/talents that you haven't sufficiently showcased elsewhere in your application, which can be helpful because they are looking for lots of different skills and the applicant pool is pretty competitive. Second, it can give you a way to further indicate interest in the school (you're willing to go the extra mile to write another essay). Of course, you could also write a really bad optional essay that hurts your candidacy, but I doubt this is typically the case. So overall, I'd say if your application is really strong it's definitely possible to get invited without doing the optional essay, but for most candidates writing the optional essay is probably a good idea if possible.

jessepinkman wrote:
herostratus wrote:

How important is the optional essay?

Anybody here of people not submitting the optional essay and making it?

someone posted earlier in the thread that got in round 1 w/o doing the optional essay. i assume its a pretty case by case basis.

I'd second this
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
Send PM
So I guess no invitations were sent out today... Oh well, in 16 days we'll know for sure where we stand :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
EntMBA wrote:
So I guess no invitations were sent out today... Oh well, in 16 days we'll know for sure where we stand :)

True, and three more days this week till we find out about the first wave... tomorrow would be nice though :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I couldn't agree with you more :)
People mentioned earlier that their optional essay wasn't seen yet. I can add that my LinkedIn account wasn't checked out by anyone in MIT, even though they asked a link for it.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
EntMBA wrote:
People mentioned earlier that their optional essay wasn't seen yet. I can add that my LinkedIn account wasn't checked out by anyone in MIT, even though they asked a link for it.

Hey ENT, where did they ask for the linkedin profile link?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
bschool2012 wrote:
EntMBA wrote:

Hey ENT, where did they ask for the linkedin profile link?

It was in the basic "applicant information" section of the application. Same place they asked for your phone, email etc.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Are there any students applying from India in round 2? Does anyone know if AdCom will be conducting interviews in Mumbai for round 2 applicants?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mbagirl251 wrote:
Are there any students applying from India in round 2? Does anyone know if AdCom will be conducting interviews in Mumbai for round 2 applicants?

i have applied from india..but dont know about interview location..have seen delhi in many cases..mumbai also..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
After getting 3 dings I've lost my hope for Stanford and I'm losing it for MIT now. I know it's not possible to predict, and it depends on individual applications, but what do you think is the correlation between results for top schools? If you get 3 dings is it more likely to get one from Stanford or MIT?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well, I can only tell on my own experience but, if you didn't do consulting (especially Mckenzie), finance or IB, or been in the army (or a Mormon according to "ahead of the curve") your odds to get in are ridiculously low. Only if you have a killer essay that they really like. You also must be at the right age (25-28)
Wharton also want people from finance and high GMAT.

MIT are more technological, so if you're coming from a technology background, and espcially if you say you want to be an entrepreneur, you might hit its radar. They also like candidates with high GMAT.

For Stanford you must have a unique story. You must show aptitude and leadership both in your CV and in your essay and show that you want to make an impact and that you really thought about it.

Anyway, unless you have a real amazing story behind, your GMAT isn't serving you well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for the comment EntMBA. It looks like I will have to retake GMAT (I am sure I can do much better) and reapply. I think it was not wise to apply to top schools with this low GMAT. Anyway let's hope for the best :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Don't go hard on yourself, 680 is a good grade, I guess it's around 88th percentile, right?

Yet, you've applied to the top 5 schools in the US at least in terms of the accepted students GMAT average. If you're a unique candidate (from Africa for example) or have done amazing things up to now then it should be enough. If you're not, then you need to remember that you're competing on a spot with some of the most interesting people worldwide and you must have something to show :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
nodding wrote:
After getting 3 dings I've lost my hope for Stanford and I'm losing it for MIT now. I know it's not possible to predict, and it depends on individual applications, but what do you think is the correlation between results for top schools? If you get 3 dings is it more likely to get one from Stanford or MIT?

IMHO, I do think there is some kind of slight correlation (e.g. if I had to bet money on someone getting an offer from MIT, knowing that he already has offers from HBS GSB and Chicago, I would do it). I guess it signals whether you are strong applicant or not. YET, of course there are also other things and nuances to be considered (fit with school, etc).

Taking it to the extreme, if you have 9 dings, I would say someone is more likely than not to get a 10th ding (he is prolly a weak applicant)

But hey... you never know! I have heard stories of people getting dinged everywhere, and then getting an offer from Stanford (of course, this is just anecdotal evidence).

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Kudos
nodding wrote:
Thanks for the comment EntMBA. It looks like I will have to retake GMAT (I am sure I can do much better) and reapply. I think it was not wise to apply to top schools with this low GMAT. Anyway let's hope for the best :)

Like EntMBA said, don't be too hard on yourself. With that in mind, it's also important to be realistic. 680 is a GOOD score; top schools receive thousands of applicants with GREAT scores. A 680 puts you in the bottom 20% of GMAT scores in most M7s. My suggestion (beyond taking the GMAT again if you have time/resources) is to focus on what makes you unique if you decide to re-apply. Ask yourself why a world class institution should take you over someone else with a better score.

For what it's worth, I face a similar issue to you in that my GPA is in the bottom 20% of all M7s. I was fortunate enough to get a high GMAT score to balance out the GPA red flag but at the end of the day those are all just numbers and the application itself is what really stands out. My round 1 application to Kellogg was very average and did not do a good job of highlighting my "uniqueness". Ultimately I was dinged by my undergrad alma mater. In round 2, I put a lot more effort into weaving who I am into my application and thus far I've received interview invites from Booth and Wharton. Though I ultimately may not get into either school, my profile clearly has been better received in R2 than R1 and I firmly believe that is because of much more personal and unique applications. After all, the numbers (GPA, GMAT, months of WE, etc.) remained exactly the same. I hope this helps you as you decide what your next steps are, good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
GPA: 4
Send PM
No invites yet?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
They haven't seen my presentation yet too. I wonder if this happened to someone who received an interview invite in an earlier round?
Just worried that maybe they are not going to evaluate it anyway, maybe they already decided my application is not good just looking to the other information =/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
0herroprease wrote:
nodding wrote:

Like EntMBA said, don't be too hard on yourself. With that in mind, it's also important to be realistic. 680 is a GOOD score; top schools receive thousands of applicants with GREAT scores. A 680 puts you in the bottom 20% of GMAT scores in most M7s. My suggestion (beyond taking the GMAT again if you have time/resources) is to focus on what makes you unique if you decide to re-apply. Ask yourself why a world class institution should take you over someone else with a better score.

For what it's worth, I face a similar issue to you in that my GPA is in the bottom 20% of all M7s. I was fortunate enough to get a high GMAT score to balance out the GPA red flag but at the end of the day those are all just numbers and the application itself is what really stands out. My round 1 application to Kellogg was very average and did not do a good job of highlighting my "uniqueness". Ultimately I was dinged by my undergrad alma mater. In round 2, I put a lot more effort into weaving who I am into my application and thus far I've received interview invites from Booth and Wharton. Though I ultimately may not get into either school, my profile clearly has been better received in R2 than R1 and I firmly believe that is because of much more personal and unique applications. After all, the numbers (GPA, GMAT, months of WE, etc.) remained exactly the same. I hope this helps you as you decide what your next steps are, good luck!

Just wanted to add on to this because I think this hits two major points: the importance of the GMAT and how much you learn by actually completing applications. I went 0 for 5 in round 1 with a 690 and what were my first MBA applications ever. This round I retook the GMAT and plugged many application holes that are obvious to me in hindsight. I'm still a long way from the finish line but have since received interview invites from Darden and Johnson. Getting 5 dings off the bat sucks, but it ultimately gave me a foundation to build upon in subsequent apps. Keep your head up!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  44   45   46   47   48   49   50  ...  73   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts