Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5095 [6]
Given Kudos: 289
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [3]
Given Kudos: 130
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The rising of costs of college tuition means that more [#permalink]
The answer to knowing what to choose here is the S-V agreement. I was able to do this by checking the verb 'means' which means singular subject must agree with it. 'Rising costs' is plural hence can not be correct. So 'C' wins!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
tessyoncom wrote:
The answer to knowing what to choose here is the S-V agreement. I was able to do this by checking the verb 'means' which means singular subject must agree with it. 'Rising costs' is plural hence can not be correct. So 'C' wins!!!

SV leaves c,d please can someone confirm as to why because is incorrect?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
'D' is wrong because it will make the whole sentence to be a dependent clause without a corresponding independent clause. That would mean an incomplete sentence!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 386 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
GMAT Date: 02-11-2015
WE:Psychology and Counseling (Other)
The rising of costs of college tuition means that more [#permalink]
I was actually between A and C.

I chose A (wrong) because I thought that "The rising of costs", because of the word "of" means that someone purposedly did it. So, they decided to raise the costs because many students had debts.

On the other hand, I read C as if the "The rising cost" was independent of anyone and anything. So, it is an observation and which happened as a result of student dept.

So, with A someone in purpose decided to do this (let's say as a school policy) so that they would cover some of the loss from the student dept, while with C, I though that it just happened, without anyone identifying it as the way to resolve the situation.

But, the important question I guess is: Is "The rising of costs" wrong gramatically or idiomatically or in another such way? And if it not incorrect in general, how would it be used correctly?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
pacifist85 wrote:
I was actually between A and C.

I chose A (wrong) because I thought that "The rising of costs", because of the word "of" means that someone purposedly did it. So, they decided to raise the costs because many students had debts.

On the other hand, I read C as if the "The rising cost" was independent of anyone and anything. So, it is an observation and which happened as a result of student dept.

So, with A someone in purpose decided to do this (let's say as a school policy) so that they would cover some of the loss from the student dept, while with C, I though that it just happened, without anyone identifying it as the way to resolve the situation.

But, the important question I guess is: Is "The rising of costs" wrong gramatically or idiomatically or in another such way? And if it not incorrect in general, how would it be used correctly?

Dear pacifist85,
My friend, I'm happy to respond. :-)

The first thing I'll say is that you have a few spelling mistakes in your above post. My friend, you never know who might be reading what is posted here --- folks on adcom, future employers or colleagues, etc. Always, always, always put your best foot forward. Always do your best. Aristotle argued, "Excellence is a habit." Make excellence habitual in all these little things, so that it's already a habit by the time you sit for the GMAT.

Now, to your question. In general, the structure "the" + [gerund] + "of" + [noun] is 100% correct, grammatically and idiomatically.
the setting of the sun
the passing of time
the opening of eyes

These are all perfectly correct, but rhetorically, they are poetic and dramatic --- that's fine, if we are writing poetry or giving a rousing speech, but in business writing we are generally more factual and concrete.

With that in mind, "the rising of costs," while 100% grammatically correct, sounds indirect and awkward. If I were giving a dramatic speech, then I might cite "the rising of costs." It is a construction that has a flair of the dramatic to it --- great for poetry, lousy for business writing! Here, the sentence is a very practical, factual sentence about college tuition costs and access to education: a concrete real-world concern. That's the focus of the GMAT: what is practical and tangible in the everyday business world. In this context, using a hyper-dramatic phrase is out of place. It would be like showing up for a business meeting in dressed as a Renaissance courtier: it would be jarringly out-of-place. When folks start to veer into fancy poetic language, business people thing, "Cut out all this nonsense. Get to the point!" That's what's wrong with "the rising of costs" in this context --- too indirect, too fancy and over-dramatic, wholly inconsistent with the tone of the sentence.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts