Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GRE 1: Q161 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Real Estate, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q40 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Marketing
WE:Research (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Carey(John Hopkins) Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
philly101 wrote:
I just booked travel to Washington DC and Baltimore for next week to visit the school and surrounding areas. The admissions representative I have been communicating with, Julian, has set up a whole day for me to learn about the program. He also said that I can submit travel expenses for up to $250 to get reimbursed.

He proposed the following for my day (Tuesday, February 17th):
-Meet with a career development team member
-Lunch with a current student
-Meet with an Innovation for Humanity Program Manager
-Meet with a faculty member/class shadow

I plan to ask lots of questions and take lots of pictures since there is a great deal of mystery surrounding the program. So if you have a question you want answered and are too afraid to ask admissions, let me know and I can do it for you.

Will post a detailed account of experiences as soon as I can.

That's awesome. A detailed account of your experience would be great.

Off the top of my head right now in terms of questions. Could you ask what the progress is on their AACSB accreditation? Everything I have heard is in a couple years, but that was also said in 2012...So is it 1 year? 2 years? within 5 years?

This won't effect my decision, but the faster they get accredited, the quicker they'll move up in the published Rankings (Bloomberg, USNews, Financial Times)...which can only mean good things in terms of future salary compensation, MBA recognition, Career Services expanding. Once eligible for ranking, I believe Hopkins will literally be on the map as a Top 30 program (and will quickly move up) within the MBA community. But this can't happen until they receive AACSB accreditation.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Carey(John Hopkins) Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Am i the only one or did the interview invites come out too easily
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 6
GRE 1: Q780 V680
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
nnamdi wrote:

How does it matter bro. I think we must respect the invite and cash in on it :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Here is my thought process behind Carey. Relatively, the MBA program is extremely new. In addition, it is generally known that in order for an MBA program to be worth it (Employment, ROI, etc) the program needs to be highly ranked (Top 30-50ish). Due to the fact that Carey is new and is not yet ranked, it is hard for people to gauge their potential success, resulting in less applications. This has no bearing on the qaulity of the program, and is simply due to the lack of a ranking. Carey for a while will probably have a higher acceptance rate than most schools because of this.

On the flipside, the future of Carey literally depends on its graduates during these early years. If we fail in getting a good education and good jobs, less people will apply, and the school fails. I beleive that because it is part of Johns Hopkins, failure is literally not an option and would be horrible for the reputation of the entire university. For this reason I think that the faculty and staff are working extra hard to ensure the success of graduates. Also, because it is a new program, it has the potential to be far more practical than traditional programs. I am sure that a lot of the subject matter taught by established programs is antiquated and the same syllabus has been passed down for years. In being a new school, every class at Carey should be designed around modern approaches and problems in the business world, rather than case studies from the last decade that are no longer applicable.

In conclusion, Carey obviously is a risk to some degree. Then again, even Harvard is a risk to some degree. If you put in the work and are proactive in your career and job search, I think there will be no problem in employment after graduating from Carey. Take advantage of the high acceptance rate, I bet in a few years it will be much more selective and hard to get in to.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
philly101 wrote:
Here is my thought process behind Carey. Relatively, the MBA program is extremely new. In addition, it is generally known that in order for an MBA program to be worth it (Employment, ROI, etc) the program needs to be highly ranked (Top 30-50ish). Due to the fact that Carey is new and is not yet ranked, it is hard for people to gauge their potential success, resulting in less applications. This has no bearing on the qaulity of the program, and is simply due to the lack of a ranking. Carey for a while will probably have a higher acceptance rate than most schools because of this.

On the flipside, the future of Carey literally depends on its graduates during these early years. If we fail in getting a good education and good jobs, less people will apply, and the school fails. I beleive that because it is part of Johns Hopkins, failure is literally not an option and would be horrible for the reputation of the entire university. For this reason I think that the faculty and staff are working extra hard to ensure the success of graduates. Also, because it is a new program, it has the potential to be far more practical than traditional programs. I am sure that a lot of the subject matter taught by established programs is antiquated and the same syllabus has been passed down for years. In being a new school, every class at Carey should be designed around modern approaches and problems in the business world, rather than case studies from the last decade that are no longer applicable.

In conclusion, Carey obviously is a risk to some degree. Then again, even Harvard is a risk to some degree. If you put in the work and are proactive in your career and job search, I think there will be no problem in employment after graduating from Carey. Take advantage of the high acceptance rate, I bet in a few years it will be much more selective and hard to get in to.

Couldn't agree more.

Pertaining to the high acceptance rate right now, it will quickly change in the coming years. Once Carey is AACSB accredited, official rankings will be posted, and the Johns Hopkins name will only move up. Thereby increasing applications and decreasing acceptances. The name will be known in the MBA community overnight once they get posted on official ranking boards (USNews, Bloomberg, Financial Times). It all comes down to AACSB...which could take awhile. I believe it took Yale 10 years to receive AACSB accreditation, which would mean 2016 for Hopkins.

FYI...I asked Hopkins for a 10 day extension on my Decision/Deposit date and they granted it. 3/16 to 3/26
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kpsg wrote:
nnamdi wrote:

Trust me i am cashing in on it hard
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 6
GRE 1: Q780 V680
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
nnamdi wrote:
kpsg wrote:
nnamdi wrote:

Trust me i am cashing in on it hard

me too :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM