Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [3]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Re: Calling All 2015 Consortium Applicants Thread [#permalink]
antohneo wrote:
I was at the Yale Diversity Day and Bruce DelMonico, SOM's director of admissions, made a great point and said that Yale was pushing so that applicants wouldn't be forced to rank schools until they've been accepted.

I was there too. After he said that, I was left thinking, "That is never going to happen."

The schools like the ranking system. They get to hedge their bets and protect their yield for a very small percentage of prime applicants - minorities. There is no way they'll ever give that up. Not even Bruce DelMonico will cave to our pressure to do away with the rankings.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rosemariecourt wrote:
Question about the draft- since we know that the draft meeting is march 10 and schools will probably start making calls shortly after, how does that work for programs that have late march decision dates? Will we find out early if we receive the fellowship? Or will we be sitting around waiting until the end of march?

No, you'll find out early. As I mentioned, it doesn't serve in the schools' favor to hold out offers until their official decision dates. Let's say you apply to Kellogg and UCLA, very similar schools in terms of fit. If UCLA waits until April 2nd to release their decisions for Consortium students, some candidates will think, "Well, I've heard from Kellogg and all of my other schools, and I'm not going to wait too much longer to make a decision just for UCLA." And then BOOM - a deposit gets paid by an eager applicant who just wants to reserve their spot. And UCLA misses out on someone who might've been a great addition to their class, fellowship or not.

So, most other CGSM schools (not all, but most) will start notifying students within a week of the draft. Waiting longer than that can only hurt their yield.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
amj643 wrote:
Rosemariecourt wrote:
Question about the draft- since we know that the draft meeting is march 10 and schools will probably start making calls shortly after, how does that work for programs that have late march decision dates? Will we find out early if we receive the fellowship? Or will we be sitting around waiting until the end of march?

No, you'll find out early. As I mentioned, it doesn't serve in the schools' favor to hold out offers until their official decision dates. Let's say you apply to Kellogg and UCLA, very similar schools in terms of fit. If UCLA waits until April 2nd to release their decisions for Consortium students, some candidates will think, "Well, I've heard from Kellogg and all of my other schools, and I'm not going to wait too much longer to make a decision just for UCLA." And then BOOM - a deposit gets paid by an eager applicant who just wants to reserve their spot. And UCLA misses out on someone who might've been a great addition to their class, fellowship or not.

So, most other CGSM schools (not all, but most) will start notifying students within a week of the draft. Waiting longer than that can only hurt their yield.

Ok so fellowship or not, all consortium students will here something from their schools in the next 2 weeks, regardless of the schools traditional decision date
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rosemariecourt wrote:
Ok so fellowship or not, all consortium students will here something from their schools in the next 2 weeks, regardless of the schools traditional decision date

Most likely, yes. That is not a guarantee, because these schools can do whatever they want. However, last year (and the year before, I believe, from reading the forum), most applicants to the Consortium found out about their school choices by at least the 3rd week of March.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
Send PM
Absolutely not. I never implied or would say that Yale said "no" cause of the ranking. That's a silly thought. I'm just saying there is a perverse incentive in there. That is all folks.

amj643 wrote:
jbotero08 wrote:
I got the Yale ding. We really need to lobby for schools not to see the ranking list. It helps them on draft day but it also has perverse incentives.

So, you think you didn't get into SOM based on how you ranked them? How long did you rank them, if I may ask?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 102
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Not so sure how much rankings come into play on everything. I ranked Yale fairly high. My GMAT score and GPA fit what they generally admit I believe. I am a minority and I work at a non-profit. But I think with easier applications process, Yale with some serious momentum and a gorgeous new campus I think it is starting to see the impact of all those factors. I figure that Yale probably has more of the "I'll only apply to HSWChi crowd because my stats are near flawless" crowd willing to apply now. My bet is that they are super worried about yield because a lot of those people may balk on their admissions offer. I am going to be closely watching their yield for the incoming class whenever they post those stats. I bet it slides somewhat.
The bolding is mine.

See, you can't caveat things by saying, all x people are y except you x people in front of me. Do you know most minority candidates to yale? Can you say you even know up to a third of them. Did you speak to them about their motivations in applying to Yale? So how in the world do you feel comfortable making a statement like that. It boggles my mind and that's all I'm going to say about that.

I'm sure there's a ton of candidates that apply to H/S/W because of the name but I would not presume to give a percentage of folks that do that much less categorize them by race/country/gender or whatever, unless maybe I was an admissions officer at H/S/W and had spent a good number of years reading essays and had something to back up my point.

I don't know - i never realized how many people had this type of thinking till I came to the forums and I can say it's probably good for me to know now because I might end up in school and not realized people were thinking things like this.
amj643 wrote:

I agree, wholeheartedly, with @UrbanPrep's assessment. I don't know that applying to more than 3 schools makes a difference, but I definitely think that more upfront research should be done to know what schools are best for an applicant.

And like I mentioned further up-forum, Yale sent out their interview invites a while ago. Competition was fierce, especially among minority candidates (many of whom didn't do their research for fit but know that Yale is an Ivy League business school on the come-up - NOT IMPLYING ANYONE ON THIS FORUM IS THAT TYPE OF CANDIDATE), so it was going to be tough to get in this year, no matter what.

That said, while the schools should NOT see the rankings (it is a terribly inefficient system), it does make a difference for yield, which affects the rankings, and the schools know that. So it always behooves an applicant to rank schools according to the ones they most want to attend. The rankings system is simply the price we pay in exchange for the opportunity to potentially go to school for free/nearly free.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jbotero08 wrote:
Absolutely not. I never implied or would say that Yale said "no" cause of the ranking. That's a silly thought. I'm just saying there is a perverse incentive in there. That is all folks.

amj643 wrote:
jbotero08 wrote:
I got the Yale ding. We really need to lobby for schools not to see the ranking list. It helps them on draft day but it also has perverse incentives.

So, you think you didn't get into SOM based on how you ranked them? How long did you rank them, if I may ask?

Okay, fair enough. It did seem as though you implied you felt that way, but you might be justified if you did think that way. (I don't know what you ranked them, so... :?)

And I'm not particularly comfortable with the rankings system either, but I think we can all acknowledge that this BSchool process is a bit of a game - not so much in that the system can be "gamed" by us, but more in that we have to "play" to our strengths and "strategize" correctly in order to have the best chance at our top schools. If we have to play some games to get into school, I suppose the adcoms get to play some as well? Perhaps that's what they use the rankings for...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Crazy cause I don't even consider SOM top 15. They cant compete with the schools in their market for jobs (HBS, Wharton, CBS, Tuck, NYU, MIT are all miles ahead) and they don't have a strung B School alumni base. Aren't really strong in any one area and and seems to be relevant just cause of the larger university.....

My two cents for what its worth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
angelfire213 wrote:
The bolding is mine.

See, you can't caveat things by saying, all x people are y except you x people in front of me. Do you know most minority candidates to yale? Can you say you even know up to a third of them. Did you speak to them about their motivations in applying to Yale? So how in the world do you feel comfortable making a statement like that. It boggles my mind and that's all I'm going to say about that.

I'm sure there's a ton of candidates that apply to H/S/W because of the name but I would not presume to give a percentage of folks that do that much less categorize them by race/country/gender or whatever, unless maybe I was an admissions officer at H/S/W and had spent a good number of years reading essays and had something to back up my point.

I don't know - i never realized how many people had this type of thinking till I came to the forums and I can say it's probably good for me to know now because I might end up in school and not realized people were thinking things like this.
amj643 wrote:

I agree, wholeheartedly, with @UrbanPrep's assessment. I don't know that applying to more than 3 schools makes a difference, but I definitely think that more upfront research should be done to know what schools are best for an applicant.

And like I mentioned further up-forum, Yale sent out their interview invites a while ago. Competition was fierce, especially among minority candidates (many of whom didn't do their research for fit but know that Yale is an Ivy League business school on the come-up - NOT IMPLYING ANYONE ON THIS FORUM IS THAT TYPE OF CANDIDATE), so it was going to be tough to get in this year, no matter what.

That said, while the schools should NOT see the rankings (it is a terribly inefficient system), it does make a difference for yield, which affects the rankings, and the schools know that. So it always behooves an applicant to rank schools according to the ones they most want to attend. The rankings system is simply the price we pay in exchange for the opportunity to potentially go to school for free/nearly free.

I don't know what could be so "mind boggling" about my statement. If there is anything I've learned about this process, it is to NOT give too much credence to how people "feel" about this process and give acknowledgement to the things I KNOW to be true. If you "feel" bothered by my statements, let's check into whether or not what I'm saying is correct, shall we?

Example 1: I mentioned that the draft was like March 10th, per my research, experience in this process and previous year's forums. That was correct.

Example 2: I said that most SOM invites went out and I know several (the definition of several is 4 or more, btw) people who got invites this year, and that unfortunately, most people who still hadn't gotten an interview invite could reasonably expect a ding. I was told that was hearsay or "friend of a friend" chitter chatter. Hmmm...Again, I was correct.

My point in defending my positions is that I don't say things unless I know them to be true to a reasonable doubt. MOST APPLICANTS, IRRESPECTIVE OF ETHNICITY, DO NOT DO THEIR RESEARCH IN THE PROCESS OF APPLYING TO BSCHOOL. And I mean real, hard, digging down to the ground research. Fact. How on earth do you think there are so many applicants every year to business school, and it's so competitive to get into schools? Because if everyone spent the time to learn this game, really, really well, there wouldn't be folks applying to bschool fresh out of college to schools that require two years of work experience, or folks who want to be high powered Management Consultants post-MBA spending time applying to schools like Georgetown and Emory...THOSE ARE NOT THE BEST SCHOOLS THAT CHURN OUT HIGH POWERED MANAGEMENT CONSULTANTS!

It sounds like lazyboy above made a good case for himself at Yale - he knew exactly what they were looking for and he took a shot. But that's because research was done on his part to discern who Yale normally takes. It didn't work out this time, but that is the type of research that needs to be done. The same goes for me: I threw in an app to Cornell, knowing I didn't match the archetypal student they usually admit. As a result, I wasn't upset when they didn't admit me...I knew well and good what I was doing when I applied there, and I took a chance. But it was a well informed one.

I think the knowledge we have all gained from doing our research lends itself to forgetting that we're in a privileged position - most folks don't know the stuff about the process that we know. Most folks aren't on these chat forums or in attendance at bschool diversity days or CGSM MAPS events or Toigo or Forte events. Most people are not members of MLT or other MBA prep groups. Most folks don't live in large metropolitan cities that turn out MBA candidates year after year (like those of us who live in NYC or Philly or Boston. What about the folks in Denver and Columbus and Milwaukee? Do they not exist?! And can we not acknowledge that they might not have the same access to bschool education that others have?) You've got folks on this forum asking "What is OP?" but promptly submitting apps through the Consortium anyway. Like, for real???? How quickly you've forgotten that not everyone is as well informed as you when it comes to this process. And that must be why it is so "mind boggling" to you that I can make a statement referencing the vast majority of applicants in this process, all of which you've seemingly forgotten about. I, however, have not.

POINT BLANK: I am well aware that there are lots of people who don't know what we know about this process. I don't have hard numbers, which is why I don't give percentages or, well, hard numbers (yet another thing you've failed to notice in my posts.) If you don't like my assertions about the process, it is all good, yo...ignore them. For real. IGNORE THEM. But next time, also be sure to point out WHEN I'M WRONG when you do. Checking my stats...not to be cocky, but I haven't been wrong yet. :fyi
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
Send PM
Kudos
I ranked them low at 5. There was some fit and Yale has a ton of things going for it, but it just didn't excite me as much as other programs. Best I would have ranked them would have been 4 or maybe 3 at most. I do wonder how much my ranking played into it but I for one will admit that my video essays were crummy.

No hard feelings though. I'm far from the perfect applicant and I'm exceedingly happy that I an interview invite at my #1 cgsm school and I did a self-initiated intervew at my #2 cgsm school.

"So, you think you didn't get into SOM based on how you ranked them? How long did you rank them, if I may ask?[/quote][/quote]

Okay, fair enough. It did seem as though you implied you felt that way, but you might be justified if you did think that way. (I don't know what you ranked them, so... :?)

And I'm not particularly comfortable with the rankings system either, but I think we can all acknowledge that this BSchool process is a bit of a game - not so much in that the system can be "gamed" by us, but more in that we have to "play" to our strengths and "strategize" correctly in order to have the best chance at our top schools. If we have to play some games to get into school, I suppose the adcoms get to play some as well? Perhaps that's what they use the rankings for...[/quote]"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [4]
Given Kudos: 145
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V41
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Let's keep it all love here. We all have enough obstacles as is...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Send PM
JackSparr0w wrote:
Let's keep it all love here. We all have enough obstacles as is...

True dat. Going at each other's throats is pointless. We are a bunch of people with common goals. Many of us are already stressed. Let's keep it peaceful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q41 V40
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Lol right? It's gettin' real up in here real quick
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Meanwhile the R1 applicants are sitting back with popcorn and soda chillin' with their acceptances watching an internet cat fight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
LazyBoy8 wrote:
Meanwhile the R1 applicants are sitting back with popcorn and soda chillin' with their acceptances watching an internet cat fight.

Hahaha! Probably so. I'm not fighting...I'm a lover, not a fighter. :-D

But if people come for me...gotta clap back. #staywoke
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jbotero08 wrote:
I ranked them low at 5. There was some fit and Yale has a ton of things going for it, but it just didn't excite me as much as other programs. Best I would have ranked them would have been 4 or maybe 3 at most. I do wonder how much my ranking played into it but I for one will admit that my video essays were crummy.

No hard feelings though. I'm far from the perfect applicant and I'm exceedingly happy that I an interview invite at my #1 cgsm school and I did a self-initiated intervew at my #2 cgsm school.

Well, good for you for giving it a shot. Chances are good you'll get into your #1 choice and be saying, "Yale, who?!" :good
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  36   37   38   39   40   41   42  ...  87   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts