Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [55]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [15]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 413 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT Date: 03-04-2014
GPA: 3.77
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I agree with others that the underlining should extend to include "is".

A. Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults Wrong Structure
B. Children's tendency to be more susceptible than is the case with adults to bronchitis and asthma is Wordy/Wrong
C. Children tend toward being more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults, which is Wordy/Wrong
D. Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than are adults, are so Wordy/Wrong
E. Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma Correct

OE is (E).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma [#permalink]
sivasanjeev wrote:
Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults is possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.

A. Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults
B. Children's tendency to be more susceptible than is the case with adults to bronchitis and asthma is
C. Children tend toward being more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults, which is
D. Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than are adults, are so
E. Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma

OE is E.
Please follow the forum rules before posting any question. "is" in the sentence needs to be underlined as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 550 Q41 V25
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V35
WE:General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
sivasanjeev wrote:
Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults is possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.

A. Children's tendency to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults
B. Children's tendency to be more susceptible than is the case with adults to bronchitis and asthma is
C. Children tend toward being more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults, which is
D. Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than are adults, are so

There is a problem with the underlined part!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [3]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
sivasanjeev wrote:

Answer cannot be E if 'is' is not underlined. E would read:

Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma is possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.

If you use 'is' (as the verb) in the construction, you'll need to refer to the children's tendency (and not use tend as a verb) to be more susceptible. If the question stem is correct, the only correct answer is A. If is was underlined, E would be perfect:

Children tend (verb) to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Phew I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the OA was E and was like, "what"?

If the "is" is also underlined, then the correct OA is clearly E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V38
Send PM
Bookmarks
Choice D caught my attention. In it's current form, I believe D is not correct because there is no parallel structure on the left hand side of the comparison. So, while we have "are adults", there is nothing on the left hand side to compare it with. We can obviously not say: "than are adults (tend to be)".

However, if D was modified as:

Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults do, are so

In that case, would D have been correct? The reason is that I think we can interpret the above sentence as:

Children, who tend to be more susceptible to bronchitis and asthma than adults tend to be, are so because..

There could still be an issue with what "so" means, but I am thinking that "are so" is an acceptable structure.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Can an expert please reply to my above query.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Given Kudos: 125
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GRE 1: Q161 V163

GRE 2: Q159 V166
GPA: 3.6
WE:Editorial and Writing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
VerbalHow wrote:
Can an expert please reply to my above query.

Yes, the structure could technically be valid. However, in this context, D changes the meaning. It talks about certain children vs. the original sentence implying about the tendency of children as a group.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
aviram wrote:
Yes, the structure could technically be valid. However, in this context, D changes the meaning. It talks about certain children vs. the original sentence implying about the tendency of children as a group.

Hello aviram, I am not very sure if that would be the meaning, because there is a comma after "children", hence making "who" as non-restrictive.

If there had been no comma after "children", then perhaps what you say would have been more applicable. What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
"is" needs t be the part of the question. That's why its creating confusion.
Else the answer is simple. " E"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
Indeed, this is creating a lot of confusion. "is" should be in the underlined part. Can moderators edit the original sentence here.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
sivasanjeev wrote:

this question is old and should not be studied anymore. focus, instead, on the new questions in og and gmatprep.

"is because..." is incorrect . because clause can not be used after to be. this error gmat tests on many questions in og book . however, this phrase appear here in non underlined part.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
sivasanjeev wrote:

"IS" IS SUPPOSED TO BE A PART OF THE UNDERLINED SENTENCE I GUESS, WOULDN'T HAVE MADE THE ERROR IF THE QUESTION WOULD HAVE BEEN PROPERLY PRESENTED.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Agree that E is the best answer.

comparison ambiguity. more susceptible to B and A than to adults? or adults are more susceptible? In this case, it is still illogical, since we do not have children but children's tendency.

"to bronchitis and asthma" is way to far from susceptible.

tend toward being ... oh my god, no. again same comparison ambiguity. "which" refers to adults. This is wrong, because people can be modified using "who/whom/whose". Moreover, the pronoun is followed by a verb in singular form.

Children are so...but so what? the most important thing is in the modifier. Moreover, this changes the meaning. It now says that only children who tend to be more susceptible... original sentence wants to tell that all children are more susceptible... so incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Olin '21 (A$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE:Supply Chain Management (Retail)
Send PM
in the test, there is a comma at the end of the answer E.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: University of texas at
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 220
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Research (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Why is not there a comma separating the main clause from the subordinating clause?
Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma possibly because, according to recent research, children retain 35 percent more of inhaled airborne particles on the surface of their lungs than adults do.
A comma after "Children tend to be more susceptible than adults to bronchitis and asthma" is incorrect, right?

I play basketball because I love it.
Because I love it, I play basketball.
I am happy although I got the answer wrong.
Although I got the answer wrong, I am happy.

All are correct right?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos