Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Algebrax                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [247]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [57]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [49]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [36]
Send PM
Re: If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jpr200012 wrote:
If a, b, and c are constants, \(a > b > c\), and \(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) for all numbers \(x\), what is the value of \(b\)?

(A) -3
(B) -1
(C) 0
(D) 1
(E) 3

As \(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) is true for ALL \(x-es\) than it must be true for \(x=0\), \(x=1\) and \(x=-1\) too:

\(x=0\) --> \(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) becomes: \(0=-abc\), so one of the unknowns equals to zero;

\(x=1\) --> \(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) becomes: \(0=(1-a)(1-b)(1-c)\), so one of the unknowns equals to 1;

\(x=-1\) --> \(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) becomes: \(0=(-1-a)(-1-b)(-1-c)\), so one of the unknowns equals to -1.

As \(a > b > c\) then \(a=1\), \(b=0\) and \(c=-1\).

Answer: C.
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3946 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Re: If a, b, and c are constants, a > b > c, and x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b) [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
If a, b, and c are constants, a>b>c, and \(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) for all numbers x, what is the value of b?
a. -3
b. -1
c. 0
d. 1
e. 3

OA is

DON'T READ THIS UNTIL YOU SOLVE IT.
The solution in the OG is the following:
\((x-a)(x-b)(x-c) = x^3-x\)
But \(x^3-x\) is (x-0)(x-1)(x+1), then a, b, and c are 0, 1 and -1 in some order. Since a>b>c, it follows that a=1, b=0, and c=-1.

However, why could we assume that (x-0)=(x-b), (x+1)=(x-c) and (x-1)=(x-a)? Probably, x(x-1)(x+1) are different factors which produce the same result as (x-a)(x-b)(x-c) do. For example, 6*2=3*4, but we cannot say that 6 = 3. Am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [47]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
\(x^3 - x = (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\)
\(x(x^2-1)=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\)
\(x(x+1)(x-1)=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\)

We know that \(a>b>c\). We also know that \(x+1>x>x-1\).

Now, rearrange the terms from highest to lowest on both sides.

\((x+1)x(x-1)=(x-c)(x-b)(x-a)\)

So you can see \(x+1 = x-c\), \(x = x-b\), \(x-1=x-a\).

The easiest one is \(x = x-b\). Obviously, \(b = 0\). The problem asks for b, so no further work required. However, you can get a or c easy if the problem had asked for them instead.

This is a tough problem. Makes you stop and think after not working it for a few days :) Just don't forget about the inequality. That was the key for me!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
metallicafan wrote:
Bunuel, could you explain this with more detail?

Bunuel wrote:
As \(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) is true for ALL \(x-es\) than it must be true for \(x=0\), \(x=1\) and \(x=-1\) too:

Why must be true that \(x=0\), \(x=1\) and \(x=-1\)? \(x^3-x\) is not 0.

We are told that "\(x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)\) is true for ALL \(x-es\)" so this equation must also be true for \(x=0\), \(x=1\) and \(x=-1\). I chose these numbers as \(x^3-x\) (LHS) equals to zero for them, hence it's easy to find the possible values of \(a\), \(b\) and \(c\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I realize I'm a bit late to the discussion, but have this question.

Why couldn't you do the following:

Take the equation x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) and rearrange it like so:

(x^3-x)/((x-a)(x-c))=x-b

and then, since this equation should hold true for all numbers x, plug in x=1, which would give you:

0/((1-a)(1-c))=1-b

The left side of the equation goes to 0, giving

0=1-b, thus

b=1

Am I misunderstanding what is meant by "for all numbers x"? Thanks for your help!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
zx8009 wrote:
Hi,

I realize I'm a bit late to the discussion, but have this question.

Why couldn't you do the following:

Take the equation x^3-x=(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) and rearrange it like so:

(x^3-x)/((x-a)(x-c))=x-b

and then, since this equation should hold true for all numbers x, plug in x=1, which would give you:

0/((1-a)(1-c))=1-b

The left side of the equation goes to 0, giving

0=1-b, thus

b=1

Am I misunderstanding what is meant by "for all numbers x"? Thanks for your help!

You cannot divide by (x-a)(x-c), since (x-a)(x-c) can be zero and division by zero is not allowed.

Hope it's clear.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618944 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [6]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Kudos
Option C:
x^3-x can be re-written as:(x-1)*x*(x+1) in ascending order.
(x-1)*x*(x+1)=(x-a)*(x-b)*(x-c)
[As a>b>c=>-a<-b<-c => x-a<x-b<x-c]
Therefore,a=1
b=0
c=-1
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [4]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
\(x^3 - x = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)\)

\(x (x^2 - 1) = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)\)

(x + 0) (x+1) (x-1) = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)

Given that a>b>c; so reorganising LHS of the equation

(x-1) (x + 0) (x+1) = (x - a)(x - b)(x - c)

b = 0

Answer = C
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [11]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos