Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Other
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.44
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.78
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU-Stern Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
Kudos
Canadian applicant here. Applied on January 15th and received an invitation to interview today.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
So many Columbia rejects (including myself) here... I'm still sad that I got into NYU but not CBS. Anyone else whose dream school was CBS and who's now going to NYU just because it's better than nothing? How are you dealing with this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
NYU and CBS are almost on par. CBS a little higher due to Ivy League status. Know that you are going to go to a phenomenal school... Career opportunities are very similar, student body more fun at NYU and a slightly better building.

ckoga wrote:
So many Columbia rejects (including myself) here... I'm still sad that I got into NYU but not CBS. Anyone else whose dream school was CBS and who's now going to NYU just because it's better than nothing? How are you dealing with this?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Concentration: Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V42
WE:General Management (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
ckoga wrote:

I will take your place if you don't want it :P
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
jmey wrote:
ckoga wrote:

I'm second in line to jmey to take your slot. :-D

I think we all have to take a step back and realize that getting accepted into an MBA is a privilege and not a right. Stern is a great school that I'm sure can offer you great options.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
ceekster wrote:
jmey wrote:
ckoga wrote:

I'm second in line to jmey to take your slot. :-D

I think we all have to take a step back and realize that getting accepted into an MBA is a privilege and not a right. Stern is a great school that I'm sure can offer you great options.
Yep, to say NYU Stern is better than nothing is quite an exaggeration
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Yep I agree.
If you consider Stern "better than nothing" - and I think you do as you already mentioned it on CBS forum, feel free to withdraw your application so we can all have an additional chance here :))
Kudos
funny enough. I'm the opposite. I felt i HAD to apply to columbia because New York, Ivy League, Marketing. Also really wanted to go there undergrad. But, I prefer NYU 100 times better. I actually would be secretly sad if i got into columbia and not NYU. Personality wise, NYU is a much better fit for me and their curriculum is so dynamic AND alumni have been awesome.

Example (and obvi my case might be different) - I contacted about 6 people in CBS groups i was interested in - only one responded to say they were on break and would get back to me. I gave up at that point. Tried to talk to admissions to connect me with a student as I was going to be visiting on a weekend - got a response to visit one of their women days (couldn't same day as another school event). In contrast,ALL the NYU folk I reached out to, spoke to me AND connected me to other alumni who were in my target field.

So yup, columbia rejected me (without even an interview) but I am def not sad about it!

PS. If you feel that way about NYU, you should probably reapply to CBS next year or go somewhere you are truly happy about. i've had alumni interviews with folks that were Not Thrilled with their MBA experience and believe me that's a lot of money to throw down not to appreciate 100%. if you're at NYU wishing you were at CBS the whole time think about how it might affect your experience.
ckoga wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
angelfire213 wrote:
funny enough. I'm the opposite. I felt i HAD to apply to columbia because New York, Ivy League, Marketing. Also really wanted to go there undergrad. But, I prefer NYU 100 times better. I actually would be secretly sad if i got into columbia and not NYU. Personality wise, NYU is a much better fit for me and their curriculum is so dynamic AND alumni have been awesome.

Example (and obvi my case might be different) - I contacted about 6 people in CBS groups i was interested in - only one responded to say they were on break and would get back to me. I gave up at that point. Tried to talk to admissions to connect me with a student as I was going to be visiting on a weekend - got a response to visit one of their women days (couldn't same day as another school event). In contrast,ALL the NYU folk I reached out to, spoke to me AND connected me to other alumni who were in my target field.

So yup, columbia rejected me (without even an interview) but I am def not sad about it!

PS. If you feel that way about NYU, you should probably reapply to CBS next year or go somewhere you are truly happy about. i've had alumni interviews with folks that were Not Thrilled with their MBA experience and believe me that's a lot of money to throw down not to appreciate 100%. if you're at NYU wishing you were at CBS the whole time think about how it might affect your experience.
ckoga wrote:

Interesting angelfire...I had the opposite experience at CBS. I contacted 3 people at CBS groups and all responded same day. A couple were happy to get a cup of coffee with me. Maybe it was just timing or club specific.

Anyways agree with others that NYU is a great school and that you might want to consider whether NYU is really a fit for you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM NYU Stern Admissions Blog: The End Is Near!
End times are near. The end of my MBA, of course!  It’s with mixed feelings that I look at the calendar and see that in just two and a half Read More
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Does anyone have an idea if Stern tends to hold off on rejections till later for interviewed candidates? I interviewed last week; it went okay but I'm not expecting an acceptance. Seems like people who are admitted receive news pretty quickly after their interviews.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Send PM
wishingpraying wrote:
Does anyone have an idea if Stern tends to hold off on rejections till later for interviewed candidates? I interviewed last week; it went okay but I'm not expecting an acceptance. Seems like people who are admitted receive news pretty quickly after their interviews.

Man stay with your hope. The admission office declares that around 70% of those candidates interviewed were finally admitted. If you think your interview went okay, then there's still hope.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V165
Send PM
Still no interview invite.

I don't know if I should be happy or sad about it. I haven't been dinged yet, but April 1st is fast approaching.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I agree with you Jbotero08. I don't know how to feel about this. It's clearly not a ding yet but there's no interview invite to make us feel relaxed either.
jbotero08 wrote:

I don't know if I should be happy or sad about it. I haven't been dinged yet, but April 1st is fast approaching.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Faith783 wrote:
I agree with you Jbotero08. I don't know how to feel about this. It's clearly not a ding yet but there's no interview invite to make us feel relaxed either.
jbotero08 wrote:

I am in the same boat. Waiting for a decision (hopefully an interview invite).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.47
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Does anyone have insight to how Stern treats aid? I talked to admissions and they are fundamentally opposed to negotiating scholarships. Do scholarships from students not matriculation get given to other students? Also curious if they are generous with need based aid, preferably grants...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Statistics, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
Send PM
wishingpraying wrote:

Why aren't you expecting an invite? Did it go poorly?

I gave my interview yesterday and thought it was OK. I answered personal questions nicely but I think the interviewer struggled when I explained my current professional responsibilities. I guess what I am trying to ask it, under what criteria won't you get an admit from Stern. It is my dream school, so I am a little anxious now.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  40   41   42   43   44   45   46  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts