Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:39 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Wharton Applicants -(2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink]
any idea when the 2nd welcome weekend is to be held?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
ss1989 wrote:

It looks like it's April 10-12
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
That's what I saw too:

Spring Welcome Weekend

Note: Registration for Spring Welcome Weekend (April 10-12) will be available at the end of March. Please check back at that time.

https://mbawelcome.wharton.upenn.edu/wel ... me-events/

KMH72 wrote:
ss1989 wrote:

It looks like it's April 10-12
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Send PM
Kudos
abhisheksahay wrote:
Hi,

I want to share my application journey and hopefully, this would be useful to other applicants.
Background: Indian male, 26 years, Delhi University, work exp of ~5 yrs at top 3 management consulting firm, a few months of social sector experience in Africa
Results: Admitted to Wharton (with $40K), Kellogg & INSEAD. Withdrew application after interview from London Business School and Chicago Booth. Decline from HBS/Stanford
Decision: Joining INSEAD in Jan 2015 (yes, it was VERY, VERY difficult to decline Wharton but I believe INSEAD is a better fit for me)

Application strategy:
1. Highlighting differentiating factors among the competitive Indian male category: international work experience, social sector experience, non-IT background
2. Spent a solid time researching unique aspects of each school and relevance to my career goals
3. Focused on keeping my profile "interesting": e.g not just focusing on work exp, career goals but also some hobbies, travel experience etc.
4. Provided very specific examples to highlight my skills, not high-level/generic comments
5. My academics and undergrad were not super impressive (and not from IIT), so I made it up with decent GMAT score (760)

So yeah, after ~22 essays, 6 interviews, and some time since the madness is over (applied in Round 2 of last year), I'm here to help you out with any questions.
In addition, I'm also planning to hold a webinar to answer any specific queries. Please PM me if interested. If we have enough people, that may be a more effective "Ask me anything" format.

Note that I also posted this on the "Share your application journey" forum but thought of posting it here as well, since it's relevant for Wharton folks. Hope this is within the guideline of GMATClub (I'm pretty new here)

Thanks,
Abhishek

Thnaks abhishek for your inputs. Can you please elaborate on ". Highlighting differentiating factors among the competitive Indian male category:"?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi

I am a Round 3 Wharton applicant . Tried hard to make it in round 2 but could not because of several factors. The problem is - I am interested in the Joint Lauder program and Wharton does not accept applications for this program in Round 3. Should I request adcom to consider my application for Lauder in Round 3? Did anyone in the forum had similar experience ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: Showcasing the Team Dynamic
On February 11th we will be sending out invitations for Round 2 Team-Based Discussions. In the past, I’ve highlighted the logistical aspects of the TBD and we’ve shared a student’s personal experience. I know that many of you still have questions about…Read More

The post Showcasing the Team Dynamic appeared first on MBA Program.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
FROM Wharton Admissions Blog: #WhartonDoesPC: Wharton’s awesome takeover of Park City, Utah
Wondering what Wharton students do to escape the cold February weather in Philadelphia? They go skiing in Park City, Utah, of course! With record high temperatures in the 50’s, Park City hosted over 1000 Whartonites for a sunny ski weekend…Read More

The post #WhartonDoesPC: Wharton’s awesome takeover of Park City, Utah appeared first on MBA Program.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi guys. As a reference point for those on the waitlist (today and in future application rounds) I thought I'd share my waitlist strategy:

Hope it helps, and congrats to those already admitted to the Class of 2017!

FROM TopDogMBA - A Reapplicant's Tail: Please please me – how I’m handling the Wharton waitlist
I’ve thought a long time about whether to post this since it puts me way out there, but I tried real hard to think how a Wharton student would deal with it. My conclusion is that the collaborative Wharton spirit would prevail and they’d share their insight with others in the same situation so here goes…

As you probably know, I got waitlisted by Wharton in R1 and, despite getting admitted by the two other schools I applied to, Wharton remains my top choice. Being on the waitlist is a strange existence though, where you know you came within a hair’s breadth of being admitted yet didn’t quite make the cut.

Admissionado estimates your odds of being admitted from the waitlist (at any school) at somewhere between 15% and 30%. (See this presentation for some waitlist strategy advice from Jon Frank. I also found recent articles from Clear Admit and Veritas Prep very helpful.) Those aren’t great odds. It can also be a very long process so you’ll have to be prepared to deal with it mentally for a few months, but you definitely still have a shot!

Now, all the admissions strategy books and consultants articles I read had one common theme: obey the rules! That sounds simple enough, right? The trouble is that Wharton specifically says they’re “unable to accept additional materials” from waitlisted candidates. So, how do you improve your odds if you aren’t technically allowed to send Admissions anything?

I asked this question to a lot of current students (who got in off the waitlist or knew people who had) as well as my consultants of course. The consistent response was that to get admitted from the waitlist you have to stay in contact with Admissions and, while they don’t take additional materials, an update email doesn’t really count ;)

Slowly my waitlist plan came together. It’s dead simple actually.

Step 1: Reply to the email sent by the waitlist coordinator. This is a no-brainer to say thank you, that the result brought mixed feelings but ultimately I’m dead excited to still be considered for a place at Wharton which is my number one choice.

Step 2: Chill the heck out for the next 1-2 months while working on Step 3. A common mistake is to bombard Admissions – patience is the key here.

Step 3: Send an update email with recent “big wins” closer to the next admissions milestone, which in my case was the date R1 deposits were due (on the assumption that some places might become available around that date).

‘Big wins’ might constitute recent and significant professional developments and/or involvement in social projects or charities and subsequent results. If you don’t have any obvious big wins (and they have to be big to make it relevant to sending an update) then think about what was potentially weak about your application and how you could fix it. I considered retaking the GMAT, doing a relevant quant course, and even doing a Wharton MOOC.

The crafting of this email has to be perfect: 2-3 paragraphs which are deftly dropped into a ‘thank you for remembering me’ message to Admissions.

Step 4: Ask Wharton students or alums who knew me well to write a strong endorsement for me. As a rule of thumb, the best alums to write for you are those who have big names and/or have given money. Those aren’t easy to find, so any alum will do; but the bigger the title and/or the company brand they’re associated with, the better.

And there it is! Not rocket science when you think about it, so please don’t be afraid to stay in touch with the school you’re waitlisted at if it remains your top choice and they have a zero additional materials policy like Wharton. I read so many posts and comments from people who literally interpreted Wharton’s instructions and didn’t even send them a thank you note for being included on the waitlist. That just seems like a big lost opportunity to me!

Like I said at the beginning of this post sharing this puts me way out there and chances are that I’ll still not get an offer, but I totally think that my waitlist plan will help me or, in the worst case, not do me any harm.

Finally, I’d just like to thank all the students, alums and fellow applicants who’ve given me support during the waitlist process. Will keep y’all posted!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
TopDogMBA wrote:
Hi guys. As a reference point for those on the waitlist (today and in future application rounds) I thought I'd share my waitlist strategy:

https://topdogmba.com/2015/03/15/please-please-me-how-im-handling-the-wharton-waitlist/

Hope it helps, and congrats to those already admitted to the Class of 2017!

Hi TopDogMBA,

I always enjoy reading your posts! Hope you get off waitlist soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
khyatipatel wrote:
Hi

I am a Round 3 Wharton applicant . Tried hard to make it in round 2 but could not because of several factors. The problem is - I am interested in the Joint Lauder program and Wharton does not accept applications for this program in Round 3. Should I request adcom to consider my application for Lauder in Round 3? Did anyone in the forum had similar experience ?

You should check Lauder website to see if it is them who don't accept R3 applicants. Wharton and Lauder have separate applications so I doubt Wharton can do anything about it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Kudos
lightfall wrote:
khyatipatel wrote:
Hi

You should check Lauder website to see if it is them who don't accept R3 applicants. Wharton and Lauder have separate applications so I doubt Wharton can do anything about it.

I would call the admissions office, and they can direct you to the right person to speak with either in admissions or with the Lauder program. My guess is that the reason they don't consider Lauder applicants in round 3 has more to do with logistics than anything else. Lauder students do an 8 week study abroad before the MBA program starts (i.e. they start their program in early June). The admission decision for R3 applicants is released in early May. I just don't see how you could finish the enrollment process, including background check (which usually takes 2-3 weeks in itself) and be ready to start the study abroad portion all in just a few weeks time.

Even if you can't do the Lauder program, you may still want to consider applying for the full time MBA program in R3. Wharton has a lot of amazing study abroad opportunities, opportunities to consult or work for businesses abroad, and internationally focused classes and clubs that are independent of the Lauder program. In other words, you can still gain a lot of the same experience without doing the Lauder program. It just depends on what you want to get out of your experience. It may also be worth speaking with a current student who is doing the joint degree and asking him/her what you'd be missing out on if you just did the MBA vs. the joint program. For example, I'm focusing on finance at Wharton, but am also interested in learning more about the healthcare industry. Even though I'm not going to be a health care management major, I'll still have access to all of the same classes, clubs and resources that the HCM students has access to.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Sloan '18 (M)
Send PM
MBANY27 wrote:
lightfall wrote:
khyatipatel wrote:
Hi

I would call the admissions office, and they can direct you to the right person to speak with either in admissions or with the Lauder program. My guess is that the reason they don't consider Lauder applicants in round 3 has more to do with logistics than anything else. Lauder students do an 8 week study abroad before the MBA program starts (i.e. they start their program in early June). The admission decision for R3 applicants is released in early May. I just don't see how you could finish the enrollment process, including background check (which usually takes 2-3 weeks in itself) and be ready to start the study abroad portion all in just a few weeks time.

Even if you can't do the Lauder program, you may still want to consider applying for the full time MBA program in R3. Wharton has a lot of amazing study abroad opportunities, opportunities to consult or work for businesses abroad, and internationally focused classes and clubs that are independent of the Lauder program. In other words, you can still gain a lot of the same experience without doing the Lauder program. It just depends on what you want to get out of your experience. It may also be worth speaking with a current student who is doing the joint degree and asking him/her what you'd be missing out on if you just did the MBA vs. the joint program. For example, I'm focusing on finance at Wharton, but am also interested in learning more about the healthcare industry. Even though I'm not going to be a health care management major, I'll still have access to all of the same classes, clubs and resources that the HCM students has access to.

I think the Lauder program starts on May 4. Lauder doesn't accept Round 3 applicants because Wharton's R3 decisions/background check/etc. can't be done by the start of the program. Sorry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Wow! Thanks a lot!!

Here's hoping for good things to happen to you at Wharton too. I remember getting the Stanford/HBS double ding - good things can still happen! :-D

lightfall wrote:
Hi TopDogMBA,

I always enjoy reading your posts! Hope you get off waitlist soon!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
One week to go! This wait is killing...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Research (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Waiting :| :| :| :| :( :( :( :(

Does anybody know when will they start calling? For people having time difference, what if someone misses their call?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.93
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
agiitd wrote:
Waiting :| :| :| :| :( :( :( :(

Does anybody know when will they start calling? For people having time difference, what if someone misses their call?

Looks like calls for R1 started around 9am ET on the day. If you miss the call, I believe they send out all decisions something like midday? Maybe noon ET?

You miss the call and notice, you call back. You miss the call and don't notice, you find out when all decisions are made known.

EDIT: R1 Calls started around page 27 of this thread. It appears I was wrong about midday decisions. It looks like all applicant pages were updated later in the day, say, after 4pm ET.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Thanks for the info. Test message.

Edit: When I set my time zone to EST in GMAT club website, it shows the time of this post as one hour late. Going by this fact, it seems that the decision letters were available to applicants as early as 1300 hours on the decision day. Sooner the better...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  41   42   43   44   45   46   47  ...  55   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts